Preparing for November surgery -monday

kellylink
on 10/20/08 11:17 am
Didn't do much today - got a lot of protein, ate at one of my favorite restaurants, cleared a ton of goodwill stuff from home, stayed on top of dishes and laundry, finished cleaning attic.

I need some inspiration!  Share what you all are doing to prepare mentally, physically, households, family, work, et cet......
Rob3boys
on 10/20/08 12:11 pm - NM
I am so excited about my surgery that I dream about wearing smaller clothes and running around with my kids. I haven't really thought about anything else. That's probably not good but I am a horrible procrastinator. I am going to try to start my protein diet tomorrow. They told me 1 week before surgery but I better start so I can get it right!! I think it is only natural that we think about it all the time.

Have a great day!
Robyn
JennyMacICURN
on 10/21/08 1:38 am - Chattanooga, TN
I too am really excited about my surgery, I don't have to follow a higher protein diet before... I just have been eating what I want ... might as well reli**** while I can. I have ordered some protein drinks, and started stocking up on food such as broth, canned fruit and veggies. I bought a small blender similar to a magic bullet. I have contemplated going thru my closet and busting out all my old clothes that I not longer fit in. My sister gave me a bag full of size 14 clothes , so I will prob wait til I'm on leave to sort thru it all!

Jen
22 more days!!!!

Rob3boys
on 10/21/08 4:22 am - NM
Hey Jen,

I have gone through my clothes and put them in different piles by size. I told my husband that I am not buying any clothes until I hit a size 8. That's the size I want to be and I don't want to waste my money until I can get there. My sister-in-law gave me a Muscle Milk shake that's not too bad and you can get them at Costco. It has 20 grams of protein and like 165 calories. So I need to stock up. I have to travel to Denver, CO for my surgery but its only a day surgery and shouldn't be too bad not being at home. (at least I'm hoping)

Have a great day and keep thinking happy thoughts!

Robyn
14 more days!
Debbi M.
on 10/21/08 3:50 pm - San Pedro, CA
Hi Guys!
Am I the only one whos doctor said from day one that I had to change my lifestlye and eating habits starting RIGHT NOW?   I keep seeing people say they have to 'diet' two weeks before, or 1 week before, etc.  I have already been eating 80 + grms of protein a day, minimal carbs, sugar free, fat free, blah blah blah since my first visit on 7/17!   Maybe that is why Ive lost over 40 lbs 'before' surgery!!  I have had my bad days, for sure.. like 2 weeks ago when I finally got my date and stressed out.  I gained 4 lbs that week.. my only gain the whole time.  But within a week I kicked myself in the butt and lost that 4lbs and another 2!  I think it is really really important that you start making those changes before surgery.  From the surgery point on you are eating to live.. not living to eat, and if you have not gotten used to protein supplements allready and found what works for you it will be more difficult to eat what your body needs... which is not necessarily food you 'like'... but high protein food you 'need'!  I see people in my support group who have had surgery and don't know what to eat now because they just 'dieted' like they always have to lose the pre-op weight.  We all know how to lose weight right?...we've all lost before... but do we all know how to do it right??  And keep it off?? NO.. thats why we are in the situation we are in now.  We need to remember this journey isn't about the surgery itself... that will come and go... and it isn't about the weight loss... that will happen quickly.  It's about keeping the weight off for the rest of your life!! And in 18 months, when your pouch gets a little strectched... and you can tolerate more foods, sugars, carbs, etc... the weight can and will come back on...... Just ask my mom and sister!!!  They had surgery several years ago and to this day are obese.  Sure they got skinny at first... in fact my mom got too skinny for awhile, but it didn't last.  Granted their procedures were different back then and they had no nutritional training at all, but  My mom hasn't eaten a healthy meal in her entire life... and im not kidding either... She lives off of egg salad and cheetos!!!  My sister has fared better going from 380 to a fluctuating low to mid 200's.  I don't want any of us to be obese and struggling again in 2 years... having gone through all this for nothing!!   But this really isn't about making a decision to have surgery.. its about making the decision to change your way of eating.. forever! The surgery just helps you get to that goal weight... your new and improved eating habits is what is going to keep it there!!! So start NOW!!!And don't ever look back!!!! You have the rest of your skinny lives to look forward too!!!  (ok, stepping off my soap box now!!)
By the way Robyn... Costco has a better shake made by Premier... 30 gms protein, 1gm sugar, 3gm fat and 5gm carbs, and only 160 calories.  Higer in protein and less in the bad stuff than the muscle milk.  And they taste good too.. but only come in chocolate.  You have to remember to check the carb levels of protein supplements... a lot of them have added carbs for muscle bulk... you don't want that!!  We just want to keep from losing muscle, not 'build' it.   Remember you will not be able to drink but maybe a 1/4 of a shake at a time after surgery, so if you can stand it, I reccommend adding a scoop of protein powder to the shake.  I'm starting that this week.. adding the powders to see which ones I like that mix well with water, skim milk, broth, etc.   I really am amazed at how my eating habits have changed and how much better I feel already!  It can only get better from here!!  I too am so excited to continue my journey to my goal after WLS... and I can't wait to shop for those size 6 jeans too!!!! Whoo Hoo!!  (btw.. i wore womens size 7 in the second grade! )
Good Luck everybody....the days are counting down quickly!!   November Losers Rock!! 

"There is not life without pain, no treasure without the hunt.... Getting things easily will never make us into the women God is calling us to be."  

kellylink
on 10/21/08 6:57 pm

Debbie - great info!  Thanks for sharing and the reminder...

Rob3boys
on 10/22/08 8:49 am - NM
Debbie,

What a great way to look at everything! Thanks for the reminders and the advice on the shakes. I am so excited for all of us. But you are right we have to change our habits too. The surgery will only do so much.

Have a great day!

Robyn
shadowgirl
on 10/21/08 5:34 pm
My surgery is in about a month.  My emotional prep has included going through closets and space bags with clothes from size 8 to 22 to launder and sort everything.  Now that the season has changed, I bagged up my recent summer cloths for drop off at the Good Will.  I'm ready to get rid of them with confidence that I'll never need them again!  Everything else is stored/stacked according to size.  It was a helpful ritual on a couple of restless evenings!  Otherwise, my mental preparation has been more subtle.  Every meal I eat, I think about how it will be different after surgery.  I've never gotten enough protein in my diet, so I'm working on that already.  I've also started going for walks more regularly.

My surgeon requires a 2 week pre-op diet with limited amounts of protein, veggies, fruit and carbs, and protein shakes.  This is to help shrink the liver to make the laparoscopic appreach easier.  I'll learn more at my pre-op appointments with the doc and dietitian in a couple of weeks.  

And, the closer I get to surgery, the more time I find myself spending on the OH web-site.  It's good to connect with all of you!

Thanks, SG
Sh3rry
on 10/22/08 11:35 am - Syracuse, NY
I just wanted to say congratz to you all on your up coming surgery .. I would like to say that i'm just coasting until they day of surgery. I will not start packing things till the weekend before omg its getting closer and closer i'm getting nervous. I have pre op doctors appointment on 10/24/08 for all that pre paper work, physical etc. and i'm so nervous and happy and exctied all at once.

Sherry
Debbi M.
on 10/22/08 2:02 pm - San Pedro, CA
I hear ya Sherry!!
I am all those things too... I just cant wait to get the surgery done and over so I can start sitting on the 'losers' bench!!  I'm not packing either until that weekend.  I still have my chest x-ray next week and wouldn't you know it.. everyone at work is getting sick now...  If I get sick and have to reschedule.. I am going to be pizzed off!!!  Thats a great idea about cleaning out the old clothes.  All of my jeans are now too big for me... yay!!  But I don't want to buy anything yet.  I don't have any 'skinny' clothes because Ive never been smaller than a 13/15... and that was 13 years ago!!   My hospital has a clothing exchange where you can bring stuff in that doesn't fit you anymore and take what does fit you.  I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking about looking into it.  Being a single mom with no support... a shopping spree isn't in the budget!! 

"There is not life without pain, no treasure without the hunt.... Getting things easily will never make us into the women God is calling us to be."  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 768 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1054 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2021 views