Newbie here

Anita D.
on 10/21/08 3:05 am - Huntsville, AL
Hi, everyone.  I've been lurking for a while, but have decided that I really need support right now.  I'm scheduled for RNY on Nov. 10, but my surgeon has had me on a liquid diet for several months.  I haven't been really good at it, the weekends are a bear, and I've cheated quite a bit, but now I'm really trying to lose the last 20 lbs before my date.  He wanted me to lose a good bit on my own, and so far I've lost around 45 lbs.  I'm on OptiFast 800, and it's going ok right now.  Not even tempted to cheat because he's threatened to reschedule my surgery if I don't lose all the weight he wants me to.   Anyone else on a liquid diet before WLS?
teanonna
on 10/21/08 7:15 am, edited 10/21/08 7:15 am - Butlerville, IN
Hi Anita

I am fairly new to this too. MY date is 11/18. I am scared, excited, worried, and happy all at the same time. I am on a high protein, lo carb. diet. But not liquid. I am also having a RNY. I have met some really nice people on here. Don't worry there are lots of people to talk to on here. We are all in this together. We have one goal in mind. Loosing the weight. Take care and have a great evening.

Teanonna
boobrajean2008
on 10/21/08 11:48 am - ravenna, OH
welcome, we are all in this together, so welcome again and Good luck keep me posted
Darlene E.
on 10/22/08 5:14 am - Harrow, Canada
Hi Nene,

We have the same date!
I don't think my doctor requires a liquid diet before surgery, but I know many do.   I'm going Monday for my pre-op and I'm going to ask if I can do a week before the surgery. I figure it would help me lose a few pounds.
The doctor had said he'd like us (there was a room full of patients) to lose some weight to help shrink the liver. That way it can be done lapriscopicly. If we don't, it may have to done open.

I was up 15 lbs since that time, but now I'm still up 5. I'm trying ***TRYING*** a liquid diet now. Not going so good. I'm just afraid that went I go for my PATs on Monday, my level will be all out of whack and they're re schedule my surgery.
Prob just my freaky brain at work.
Congrats on losing 45lbs! That's fabulous. I'd think the doctor would be happy with that, but who am I to say LOL.
Just keep doing what you're doing. I'm sure you'll have your surgery on the 10th and it'll go off without a hitch.

Anita D.
on 10/22/08 9:16 am - Huntsville, AL
You'd think he'd be happy, but when I saw him for my initial visit last December, he wanted me to lose 36 lbs.  Well, last spriing, I got pretty depressed and went on a couple month binge.  I gained at least 25 lbs, so I've already lost all that + 20 more.  He still wants me at the original 10% off goal instead of adjusting it.  This is SO hard, and the shakes do horrible things to my gastrointestinal system, and I'm super tired all the time, but it's a necessary evil, I guess. 
sheri139
on 10/22/08 5:48 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/05/08 with
I also am trying to lose 10 pounds but they keep trying to stay, my mind says 'you may not be able to eat this after, so do it now'. 
Most of the time I don't listen, but sometimes.........

Good luck all of you.

Sheri
RNY ohcardsmallsheri.gif picture by lynnca1972 Nov 5, 2008
16 pounds lost pre surgery    
Anita D.
on 10/22/08 9:21 am - Huntsville, AL
Same for me.  I've been taking weekends "off" and eating regular food, but now I'm on my liquids only.  It's so hard to think "Oh, I'd better eat a bite of this or this, because who knows if I'll be able to eat it after surgery".  Guess that's part of the process, though. 

My niece had it done about 18 months ago, and she's a real encouragement to me.  She told me the other day that mourning food is normal, but I've got to train myself that food is NOT my friend, it is the enemy, and that's what's gotten me to this point, and if I continue to live to eat, instead of eat to live, it will eventually kill me.  Smart girl, that one.  When she said that, it helped me so much.  I'm not even tempted to cheat now.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 768 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1054 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2021 views