PAT's today

hermance67
on 10/29/08 7:03 am - chatham, NY
i had my pat's today,  went to vascular for my legs another visit with the surgeon.  blood work and ekg.  i am good to go for my surgery on the 10th.  i did ask the surgeon post op if it would be heparin or lovenox.  he said lovenox twice a day.  that is for the prevention of blood clots.  word to the wise prepare yourself if you have heparin because it burns and it is a slow burn and it is injected usually in the stomach.

have a good day.

angie
Darlene E.
on 10/29/08 12:41 pm - Harrow, Canada
Way to go on passing your PATs.
I did ask about the blood thinners, and they said I won't be getting any post op.  From what I'm reading, not many do. 

So our day is coming soon and soon many of our friends here in the November forum will be reporting back their experiences. 
What did you have to vascular for?  I didn't get that either and if varicose veins have anything to do with it, I have road maps LOL.

SINCE MY RNY NOVEMBER 10 2008

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

Kelly C.
on 10/29/08 11:26 pm - Clinton, Canada
Hey Angie, Congrates on your PATs. and your surgery. Its coming up quickly! I've heard of Heparin, but nothing was mentioned to me about me having shots. Ive heard they do give you a couple after surgery or maybe before(LOL) to help.

You have a wonderful day!

Hugs
Kelly

MY AWESOME ANGEL IS  JEN.B
Stephanie Y.
on 10/30/08 4:24 am - East Greenville, PA

Hi everyone. 

I just signed up today for the forum!  I acutally had my PATs yesterday.  Mine took 3 hours!!  I could not believe the length of time it took but i guess the want you to be ready.  I saw a nurse, had bloodwork and blood gases done(took blood for artery instead of vein...ouch) x rays and ultrasounds., i saw an internal med Dr. and a nutritionist.   My head was spinning by the end but I passed... thank goodness!

The only part i do not like is my Dr. requires a 10 day clear liquid diet before surg.  How am i ever going to do that.  I am so dreading it.  Does anyone else have to do this?  Any helpful suggestions?  Meal ideas? 

I am also going to be on Lovenox before and after my surg.  I  have had blood clots in the past so i think i am a little different then most.  You get used to them.  I had to do 2 a day in the stomach for almost 2 years when we where trying to have a baby and during my pregnancy + 6 weeks post partum.  Going back on them for a few weeks is going to be cake for me compared to that...lol

hermance67
on 10/30/08 6:09 am - chatham, NY
i am a nurse so when i give heparin (ive never had it) i see their expressions and they tell me it hurts which is why i wanted to know which one i will be getting and the frequency.  i want to do everything i can to prevent blood clots.  a little paranoid i guess

have a good day all

angie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 768 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1054 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2021 views