ah...supplements

Sue M.
on 12/14/08 7:06 am - Nantucket, MA
It takes me 1/2 hour to get down all this crap every morning (i of course have to take the calciums apart each day, as well as the Actigall).  It doesn't help that I have to cut the Calcium and Multi-Vitamin in half.  I don't doubt i need all these supplements, but is everyone else taking this much:

per day:
3 Calcium
2 Actigall (protective measure for gall bladder)
1 Iron
1 Adult Multivitamin
1 prilosec
1 B12

plus 2 anti-depressants unrelated to surgery!

My pill sorter is more full than it was when i was a diabetic!!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Renée M.
on 12/14/08 8:01 am - Syracuse, NY
Each day I take:

1 Prevacid
1 B12
1200-1500 of Calcium (amount of tabs depends on what I am taking)
2 Multivitamins

The multivitamins are chewable and easy to take, the calcium as well.  B12 is sublingual and my prevacid gets opened and mixed with a meal.

I also have 2 medications that I take on top of it all.

I have no problem with the pills...don't even have to cut them in half.  I am Still not convinced that anything was done in my belly!  Very frustrating!

Renée
444.5       /   430.2    /     408.2    /    299.8     /   244.5    /     249     /  225
Highest / 07-11-08 / 11-25-08  / 06-07-09 / 03-25-10 / 01-31-11 /  STG
beahero
on 12/14/08 9:49 am
I agree, every day I dread taking all the things I have to take. Some days I just can't stomach chewing those things. I tried mixing them with pudding and that was even worse! This is what I take daily.
-2-3 calcium citrate chewables
-2 tender iron chewables
-4 bariatric fusion multivitamins chewable
-1 biotin
-an occasional papaya enzyme if something isn't sitting right in the pouch

My drs office said not to start b12 until after my 6 week bloodwork is done. Then they can tell if I need it. I was told that taking the bariatric fusion vitamins really helps and I may not b12 at all.

New Shell
on 12/14/08 11:00 am - Livermore Falls, ME
I start my morning off with a sublingual prevacid and then 1 chewable multi.  I wait 2 hours and take a second multi.  After lunch I start with 1 calcium citrate tab and a vit D, then about 2 hours later I take another cal citrate.  I've been taking colace 2x's a day as well inbetween all the other stuff.  I haven't had any problem getting my supplements in just my water....protein level is getting better now that I'm eating more solids.

Heaviest 297 / Consult 287/ Pre Op 267/ Current 189

queenbrandy
on 12/14/08 11:02 am - Temple, TX

Yes I take it all minus the B12 which I get in a shot and minus the gall bladder med, cause I don't have one.

I know too many post ops who are far out who have had severe medical problems because of no supps or the wrong kind to decide not to take them.

TAKE THEM.  Your doc is not making money off of it .......he says take it.........you need them!

Be healthy!

Sue M.
on 12/14/08 1:54 pm - Nantucket, MA
I've read the horror stories....so believe me, I will take them!!!  It's just so strange to be taking more than i was before.  i'd take more if required. 

If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Marci2008
on 12/14/08 10:47 pm, edited 12/14/08 10:51 pm
My surgeon gave me a choice on vitamins. I could take a series of pills from Bariatric Advantage (very similar to the list above) or I could take a  chewable vitamin from 'Optisource' that is specifically formulated for WLS patients.

I chose Optisource because it was equal in nutritional value and just plain easier to handle. It actually tastes good too. After I have my first labs at 3 months, I may have to add something if I am deficient in anything but it's still fewer pills. I buy my Optisource at nestle-nutrition.com.

Marci
Marniel
on 12/15/08 2:05 am - Pasadena, MD

All....someone posted this on the main board, then someone else posted it on the Maryland board...I thought I would post it on this board...this is the perfect place.    This is about the importance of taking our supplements.  Oh, I take the chewable multivitamins (4 a day) and calcium (2 a day) to keep from having to take the pills.  The ones from bariactricfusion.com and bariactriceating.com are the best (at leas to me).  I also take sublingual B12, Prilosec and Actigall everyday...I just stretch it all out throughout the day...too hard trying to take it all at once!!.  Anyhow, here is the post:

I gounfd this post off the main board from TanyaF from California. This is a very imortant message!!....

*This post is in response to someone who asked me is I wouldnt mind posting about what I have went through because I didnt take my vitamins like I should. I am happy to tell me story if it helps even one person from not having to go through what I did.

I was really good about my vitamins the first couple of years. Then what happened? Life I guess. I figured that I was a few years out that it didnt matter too much anymore. Yeah I was wrong. I started to feel off at about 3 1/2 years post-op. So those that are a year or so out saying "My labs are great and all I take is a multi once in a while" are living life on a chance. It started with being really tired. Then it progressed to not being able to walk up my stairs. I went to a doctor (key word here "a" not my surgeon) and he checked my B12 and yep I was low. Gave me daily shots for a week. Thought I was all good. Im not sure how long after that it was til I collapsed. I still dont really know what day I did collapse. Im not even sure about the month. I do know though that it happened in front of my children. I was laying on the floor basically dieing in front of them. I was saved because my sister called and figured out something was wrong. From what I have been told my system was shutting down and my family was told that I may not live.

Well obviously I did but not without a lot of physical and mental problems. I was in the hospital for a while and basically because of the lack of B1 and B12 it caused me to have a few mental health isssues, to say the least. Hallucinations are a blast. With this and the small problem of not being able to feel my arms and legs and being completly bed bound my family had to make the hard choice to place me in a long-term care facility. I was there for a few months and was given daily PT to help me learn to get myself in and out of a wheelchair. I left there in a wheelchair with alot of other medical equipment. Just a little perspective on just how low I was...it took DAILY shots of both B1 and B12 for about 4 months then to weekly for a few months and now monthly, plus I take it daily in supplementation, to have OK levles.

I also left with the memory problems. Not your run off the mill.."where are my keys?" But the "what keys?" I dont remember day to day stuff. I dont remember Bdays, christmas or conversations. My family has to take care of all my health and personal needs. They transport me and pay my bills. I will never work again. I most likely will never drive again. It is not known if I will ever get better. I may not be able to remember the day my children graduate or walk down the isle. As for the here and now I wont remember my baby turning 10 tomorrow.

I could go on with what I have lost because of my stupidity. Yes I have learned a lot of valuable lessons. It is too bad that it had to come at the expense of so much. So for those of you reading this and have questioned just how important can vitamins be (cause you feel so great right?) ask yourself just how important is it for you to feel your legs? How important is it for you to remember today? Ask yourself just how important is your life.

Sue M.
on 12/15/08 10:33 am - Nantucket, MA
Thanks for reposting this.  We all need to remember not to get too ****y with our new lives and new bodies.

azrosebud07
on 12/18/08 2:26 am - Chandler, AZ
Were do you all get your calcium?  I am taking Previcd and multi vit, plus B12 and 1 shot - but I still need to add my calcium....
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 769 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1055 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2033 views