What upsets your pouch

heatherlastra
on 1/6/09 8:11 am - Santa Clara, CA
Hey November surgery pals!!!

So I was cleared to start adding food back into my diet as I see fit on Friday ... trust me, this hasn't led to that much experimentation  as you can imagine, I'm afraid to find that thing that bothers my pouch.  I've been pretty lucky, no nausea, no vomiting, no complications and I'd hate to break that streak because I couldn't wait to try something.  Anyway, I was wondering how easing back into the land of the normal eating was working out for you guys and what things you've found that really upset the pouch. 
beahero
on 1/6/09 10:03 am
The only thing that has upset the pouch is meat that is too dry or reheated and becomes too dry. I find it's best to eat everything when it's first cooked. I also find that hard boiled and scrambled eggs often do not sit well but I can eat eggs if they are soft boiled. I have been afraid too to try things but I have tried lots so far and nothing to worry about. My favorite meal is fresh fish 2-3oz, either cod or talapia with a side of fresh mixed greens/spinach-1 cp and 4-6 tomatoes. I cook the fish in newmans own balsamic vinegrette and top the salad off with it and some cherry tomatoes. I also enjoy the atkins advantage bars as a snack or quick meal on the go.

heatherlastra
on 1/6/09 11:57 am - Santa Clara, CA
Do the advantage bars sit okay with you?  I tried a balance low carb bar and it was just way to sweet.  I need to find a protein bar because it is so much easier
SandieW
on 1/6/09 10:49 am - Glenside, PA
Nothing I've eaten until now has caused me any problems.  The only thing that bothers my pouch is eating too fast, in which case the food comes back up as fast as it went down. 
queenbrandy
on 1/6/09 12:59 pm - Temple, TX

Eating too fast or getting stressed out when eating (like the kids acting up)  gets things stuck.

Salmon is not doing well for me, I cook I it moist and even add Pesto to give it additional moisture, but I have come to the conclusion that it will not work now.

Boiled with ****tail sauce shrimp sets the best, and i was not crazy about it pre op.

Sliced deli meat also dosn't do well for me.

What ever it is chew chew chew!

Marniel
on 1/6/09 9:18 pm - Pasadena, MD
I agree with the first poster....any dry meat doesn't sit well with me....but especially white meat chicken...I seem to do fine with dark meat though.....but any dry meat just doesn't sit in there very well....ugh...I tried corned beef last night...after 2 bites I knew it was too dry and gave the dog the rest!  I tried one of the Atkins "day break - cinnamon bun bars" and it seemed to be too sweet...but I wasn't crazy about the taste.  That's about it for me...other than what every one else is saying...chew, chew, chew

prettydee7
on 1/6/09 10:22 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
scrambled eggs! YUK....
Sue M.
on 1/7/09 2:50 am - Nantucket, MA
i hear I'm one in a million, but peanut butter just doesn't work for me in amounts bigger than a baby spoon.  I haven't tried the all-natural no sugar added yet, but plain old Jiff is killing me.

I cannot eat reheated red meat well.

when I reheat chicken or turkey I poke it with a fork a few times, drip some water on top and cover it with a damp paper towel in the microwave - this does a great job at restoring moisture.

i ate too close to water drinking, which brought the food back up in a hurry.  I also overate some baked potato and that came back up.

The good news is that for me at least, when I have to vomit due to overfilled pouch it is effortless, painless and sort of a non-event.  I certainly don't want to do anything to cause vomiting, but it's not a terrible punishment for a simple mistake.

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
New Shell
on 1/8/09 6:56 am - Livermore Falls, ME
Reheated meats any kind.....just to dry.  I have a hard time with chicken that is in soup as well, it sits heavy.  Scrambled eggs are like leather and sit heavy but I can eat an omlet...go figure?  Peanut butter has been to much lately I've noticed as well.  It's weird one day your pouchy likes it and the next it doesn't.
Heaviest 297 / Consult 287/ Pre Op 267/ Current 189

Renée M.
on 1/8/09 10:04 am - Syracuse, NY
I have had problems with pork and anything that I might eat too fast.  I eat anything that I would like at this point.  All in moderation and healthy of course!  :-)
Renée
444.5       /   430.2    /     408.2    /    299.8     /   244.5    /     249     /  225
Highest / 07-11-08 / 11-25-08  / 06-07-09 / 03-25-10 / 01-31-11 /  STG
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 769 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1055 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2033 views