Let help each other out!!!!!

K-T
on 3/27/09 2:43 am - LA
SO I have a question......what is your favorite high in protein thing to eat that fills you up? I need some yummy new recipe & maby ya'll could help me out! Quick to easy to detailed I really don't care, I love to cook & try new things. So let's hear them people give out your secret family recipe that bushes beans won't even give out.

One thing I have been cooking once a week lately has been, Jalapeno White Beans w/ Jalapeno Deer/chicken Sausage (out of the casing). For a half of cup the beans give you 15 grams of protein & the meat gives you 7 grams of protein =22 grams not bad for a 1/2 cup of food!!!!!!
Directions:
* take a pound of your favorite sausage out of it's casing ( you could also use ground turkey )
   brown in a cast iron pot ( or what ever you have )
* add a whole chopped up onion, a whole chopped up bell pepper, a spoon full of minced garlic,
   & about 20 jalapeno slices ( also pore 1/4 cup of jalapeno juice from the jar ), cook down w/ ground meat until all veggies are soft (20Min's)
* then add 5-6 can of Trappey's Jalapeno White Beans w/ the juice
* Season to taste & cook down for about 3 hours
*** We love spice down here, so if you don't skip the jalapenos****

Enjoy,
Katherine

What you eat in private, will show in public!!!
mychoice2008
on 3/27/09 9:48 am - Seattle, WA

OMG that sounds sooooo good! I am with you the spicier the better! I will definately try your recipe this weekend! The most recent thing I made was Parmesean Tilapia-it was awesome. I will post the recipe as soon as I find it. It was one of the best meals I have had since WLS.

How are you feeling now that we are almost 5 months out? Looks like you have had wonderful success! Congrat's. I'll come back and post a few recipes. Take care-
Nancy

21 pounds lost on 10 day pre-op diet
K-T
on 3/29/09 2:45 am - LA
Hey Nancy,
           I love tilapia, looking forward to the recipe!!! Let me know how your beans turn out & if you liked them.
           I feel human again, I have lots of energy & feel young like I should...lol...I still have a little problem w/ the protein & water intake, hints why I am looking for protein food . It is getting better eating thank god, I don't know about you but it was rough in the beginning.
Take Care,
      Katherine

mychoice2008
on 3/29/09 11:07 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Katherine-

Here is the recipe for Parmesean Tilapia. I use reduced fat for the mayo and butter and it is realy good! Let me know what you think!

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
2 pounds tilapia fillets

DIRECTIONS
1 Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
2 In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
3 Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

I too feel like I am finally getting a handle on this "eating thing". I haven't dumped, and have only thrown up once early out on Turkey-too dry? I can handle veggies, salad and really spicy-so I am good to go! How often do you excercise? I am probably a little behind in this as I was pretty out of shape. I started Water aerobics in February and do that twice a week, but am joining a gym this week (although I hope it isn't one of the skinny girl pick-up places- where they are the size of one of my thighs!!!) We'll have to keep in touch and share progress with each other.

It is nice to have someone with the same surgery month, etc. I still have a minimum of 70 to lose but would like to lose 80. Maybe the last 10-15 will eventually come off in skin if I can afford plastics. Take care and thanks for the spicy recipe! Nancy

21 pounds lost on 10 day pre-op diet
K-T
on 3/30/09 7:23 am - LA
YUMMY, I will have to try this this week I have been in the mood for some fresh fish...........

You have not dumped, you lucky lucky girl. I threw up on everything for the first 2 1/2 months, I think that is why I also lost so much already...lol...I do excercise 5-6 days a week for an hour to hour 1/2, I made a gym in my home, I have a total gym, treadmill, bike, ab lounge, & free weights, & don't for get the TV (got to have it to keep me from realizing I am working out...lol) I am not a person who will work out in public & if it is convent I am more then likely to keep it up. An I also don't have to worry about the skinny *****es running 90 miles & I am barley breathing while I am having a heart attack.

How do you like water aerobics? That is something I am intrested in, but then again a bathing suite in front of a bunch of strangers,,,,hahahahaha yeah right.

Keep in touch, we can help motavate each other!!!!
I'll let you know what the family & think of your fish!
Take Care,
Katherine

Elaine R.
on 3/30/09 8:43 am - Dearborn Heights, MI

Yum . . tilapia is now on my menu for tomorrow - that recipe sounds great!

This was one of our favorite meals before WLS, so I switched a few of the items and it's still as good as the higher fat version!

Italian Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

1 -  6" long spaghetti squash
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C. finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 pound fresh ground turkey breast
1/2 C. canned tomatoes
1/2 C. diced mushrooms
1/3 C. cooked brown rice
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper
1/4 C. low fat mozzarella cheese

Cut spaghetti squash in half.  Remove seeds.  Place squash cut side down on baking pan filled with about 1/2" water.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling in a large skillet.  Sautè onion, celery and garlic in oil for 5 min.  Add ground turkey and brown.

Stir in tomatoes, mushrooms, rice, parsley, oregano salt & pepper.  Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.

When squash is ready, turn halves cut side up and stuff with filling.  Sprinkle tops with cheese and bake until cheese melts.

This recipe can easily be doubled.  When doubling I use a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (I use crushed anyway.)  Adding a little more than 1/2 C. of tomatoes is OK, it simply makes it a little more "saucy."  This recipe is good when you have left over rice. 

I break this down as: 350 calories; 37 g protein; 13 g fat; 21 g carbs ----BUT it's very difficult to eat a full serving, so cut everything in half nutrition wise, or alter according to how much you can eat.  If you can get away with using less oil, it will reduce the amount of fat. 

With this I like to fix a cucumber salad:

diced cucumber
crumbled feta cheese
extra virgin olive oil
cracked black pepper

Remove seeds from cucumber, if desired, cut a medium dice.  Crumble on as much feta cheese as diet allows, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on pepper.  You can make as much or as little as you want.  Very easy! 

Elaine

All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press
on to your destination.

M S.
on 3/30/09 11:10 am - Nitro, WV
I get alot of recipes from the website www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com. She had surgery several years ago and loves to cook. She creates great recipes. There hasn't been one that I have cooked that I and the entire family hasn't liked.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 768 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1054 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2021 views