How is your hair?

hazmat11
on 4/9/09 4:27 am
If you are losing hair, how much? If you aren't, what is your secret?
Susie

K-T
on 4/9/09 12:53 pm - LA
Let me just say my hair SUCKS..........agggggggg!!!!!! I have been pulling out hand full & hand fulls a few times a day. Forget when I am in the shower, that's when it's the worst I know I am going to be bald when this is all over with...lol...my poor vacuum is sucking up more hair then dirt & the drain in the shower drains more hair then water. I have been taking AG Pro & as a hairdresser I have been looking into a few professional products that the supply house is starting to carry. I also stopped highlighting my hair I also went to a darker color w/ only low lights to give the fake look of looking fuller, that's still a joke, but I also had medium to thin hair before surgery. I promise you & I are NOT alone in this. It is also temporary it will grow back, make sure to get all your protein in & you can also get a hair mask w/ protein in it to use twice a month.
Take Care sorry I rambled, I can ramble about hair for hours...lol
Katherine

What you eat in private, will show in public!!!
Elaine R.
on 4/9/09 2:10 pm - Dearborn Heights, MI
I have horribly thin, fine hair to begin with so I've been dreading losing more, but so far it hasn't happened.  When it does I know I'll be mistaken for Uncle Fester's sister.  

What is a hair mask?  I've not heard of it and would like to know.  It sounds like something I should be doing.   Thanks.

Elaine  
All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press
on to your destination.

New Shell
on 4/9/09 8:45 pm - Livermore Falls, ME
I have thick hair and a lot of it but I do lose it everyday.  I know I'm not going to go bald but it is alarming to see it in the drain or collecting on the floor.  My hair comes out more in the shower, or if I dont wash my hair one day the next it's almost like double the amount.  I shed all the time; find it everywhere.  I feel so bad for my kids right now because even though I vacuum the hair gets all over their clothes...kinda gross actually.  It's worse then having a long haired animal right now! 

I do have new hair growth; short whispies inbetween the longer strands.  I don't take anything extra, I figure the damage is already done by having the surgery and it's the body's natural defense to keep it running smoothly and healthy.  I do use an extra leave in conditioner though because my hair was really dry for a while, not so much now but still use it.
Heaviest 297 / Consult 287/ Pre Op 267/ Current 189

K-T
on 4/10/09 4:36 am - LA
Hey Elaine,
       I don't know if you have what we call a "Sally's Hair Supply" open to the public & hairdressers in your state. But if you do have a supply house or a hairdresser you use ask them for a protein mask to put on your hair two to three times a month to help build your hair stronger & healthier. There are many products out there to help build stronger hair, also stop falling out & also promote new hair growth. You could also use thicken products to descise the thinness. I USE IT ALL...lol... hope I helped answer your question.
Katherine

What you eat in private, will show in public!!!
sassietigger
on 4/10/09 2:37 am
I had really thick long hair when i started this journey... after i had the surgery just before christmas I got it cut shorter... and each time i go in i've gotten it shorter... lol... this has helped with the look of my hair since it's thinning quite a bit.  my hairdresser noticed too.

it's nice to know i'm not alone.  my protein levels came back at 6.6 my dr likes it to be at 7, so i'm still taking 3 shakes a day (30-35g each)...

tell me more about this hair mask w/ protein... i think i might need some.

~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

queenbrandy
on 4/10/09 2:47 am - Temple, TX
My hair has always been very thick.  I got it cut short just before surgery.  I have lost no hair. I even mada drastic light color change on it about a month ago and all is well.

My opinion is, some people lose hair starting right after surgery, just because.  They would probably lose hair after any surgery as their body's response to the trama of surgery.  Others it seems to take a couple of months before it starts happening.  I think that is lack of protein in diet or ability to absorb it.

I get plenty of protein in daily.  I take all my supps and my hair on my head and all other body places is growing same as always, that goes for my finger nails too.

After all, hair and nails are made from the excess protein that your body did not need elsewhere. The body is designed for survival.  It will not send protein to make hair and nails if it is needed for repair or growth of vital tissue.

shaunab68
on 4/10/09 10:40 pm - Black Mountain, NC
I am losing hair as well but I knew I would.  Anytime I undergo a trauma to the body (pregnancy, surgery, etc.) I lose hair.  :)  Have learned that there is no magic elixer for me other than time, which is saving me a lot of money this time around!  lol  I had decided that a couple of months after my surgery I would get a short 'n sassy haircut for the first time.  I did and it has helped tremendously.  My hair still looks super thick even though I'm losing quite a bit and I get compliments all the time!  Hang in there ya'll!  The hair loss does come to an end and most of it will all come back in time!  :)
SandieW
on 4/13/09 5:01 am - Glenside, PA
I always lose hair after surgery, but I keep my hair short so it's not really noticeable to anyone but me and only because I see it on my hairbrush.  Although I noticed this morning that I was shedding on the cat instead of the other way around.
sweetbabi
on 4/15/09 2:48 am - Haines City, FL
I'm losing way more than I want to. My hair was looking too thin, so I cut it yesterday. I went short. and layer and in the back. I just started taking biotin.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 769 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1055 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2033 views