is this easy?

Sue M.
on 4/14/09 11:47 pm - Nantucket, MA
People tell me that I'm making my surgery look easy.  I have experienced no real complications.  So far I've only dumped on peanut butter and peanuts.  (yes, weird).  I don't go to the gym, but we got a dog and since we live in a condo, we take him for walks in order for him to pee and poop, so I've added all that dog walking as my exercise....and of course now that it's nicer out, I walk the dog further and further.

Here's the thing.  I kinda think this is pretty easy too.  I eat well, but "cheat" here and there on a few yummy things with fat.  I haven't pushed the sugar at all. 

Maybe I did a really good job mentally preparing for this beforehand - I had to wait 8 months to get my surgery. 

Maybe I haven't hit the hard part yet.... maintaining, or losing the final few pounds. 

I spent so much time defending my choice as "not the easy way out"....that i'm a little worried that maybe it was!

Would just like other thoughts on the subject.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
queenbrandy
on 4/15/09 1:31 am - Temple, TX
It has been easy for me.  Easy in the sense that I have never lost this much weight this fast.  I still have to think about what I put in my mouth and plan ahead.  I have to be sure to get in my water and all my sups. 

I know that I needed the surgery.  I needed the malabsorptive part.  I too have not pushed sugar or many carbs.  I can't say I would have been able to do that just doing Atkins.  The threat of being ill is a great way to be sure that I am putting only the right choices in my mouth.

We both have been lucky and have made good choices.  Sometimes others make the surgery look hard, because they make poor choices or have a difficult time(through no fault of their own).

What is "hard" that we could not or would not do is stick to the plan and portions needed to drop the weight. I tried everything, I know I had to have the surgery to be successful. 

It may be easy, but most people could not eat the portion size and do the carb restrictions successfully without the aid of the surgery. And we all know that some still fail to lose or maintain. 

the easy way out or not, for me it was the only way out.
knitterme
on 4/21/09 12:32 pm - Bowling Green, OH
RNY on 11/04/08 with
I also have had a real easy time with the post op stuff.  I've lost 76 lbs and have never dumped and have vomited only twice, which I know why I did and have learned from that.  I don't push the sugar at all and have never cheated.  I follow everything by the rules.  the only thing I haven't done too much of is exercise.  I have bersitus (sp?) in my right hip and am currently getting physical therapy.       Sometimes I feel so out of the loop though that i've had such an easy time.  I feel bad for those who have had a rough time, but I'm very thankful to God that it's been a very easy ride for me.

Dianne   

263   / 245     [   173 ]    150
                                                  highest / DOS    [current]    
goal
Psalm 139: 13
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.?

SandieW
on 4/21/09 1:51 pm - Glenside, PA
I haven't had a particularly easy time of it.  My post-op course was slow for the first couple weeks, and I plateaued at only 2 months out.  I've only lost 5 lb since February.  Plus I seem to be hungrier now than I was before my surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 768 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1054 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2021 views