Had surgery on Nov 17th- first day I feel like geeting online

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/09 9:57 pm
I had RNY on Nov 17th.  Everything went really well and they talked about sending me home the next day, but I got sick. So then I was on track for going home Thurs, but got sick again.  They sent me for an X-ray and I had a bowel obstruction.  I walked and stopped taking pain meds and it worked out.  I was so ready to get out of the hospital Friday I was practically begging to go home.  Not showering or washing your hair for days does something to you. 

I went home Friday, took my shower and went to bed.  Yesterday was much better!  I had my magazines, comfy chair, and walked the hallways and alittle outside. And for those who have had it done...I sipped all day long!  I had no idea how little my pouch would hold.

You aren't hungry.  You might think that because your bowels are moving and have gas, It gives the same sound and feeling of hunger pangs. 

All is well today.  I am even making biscuits for the family.  I am on liquids for about 2 weeks, well closer to 4 weeks.  Smells bother me, but the idea of eating food is not a problem.

Good Luck to everyone this month!  It does get better!
meldave00
on 11/22/09 11:04 am - Rosemount, MN
It's great to hear that you're doing much better once you got home!! 

I had surgery on 11/19 and I must be honest...the pain was more than I had anticipated, but the good thing is everyday the pain lessens & I find I am able to do more than I did the day before.  I have been home since Saturday afternoon after spending 2 nights in the hospital.  I haven't really had too many issues with feeling sick (just once I vomitted a bit after I had to drink that nasty dye to take the scan the day after surgery to check for leaks).

I completely agree with you...no real hunger pains.  I'm a full liquid diet until 2 weeks post-op and then I move onto pureed foods.  The liquid diet isn't going too bad and I'm trying to make sure I keep up on all my drinking during the day. 

I had quite a bit of blood in my stool that freaked me out, but found out that is normal because of the surgery.  I think it's slowly going away now, but lasted for a couple days.  Something I thought I'd let people know about that have surgery coming up.  It didn't start til' my 2nd night after surgery.

What's really surprising is all the crazy noises you will hear coming from your stomach/intestines.  And it's so loud, it catches you off guard.  Guess it must mean the plumbing is working.  LoL!

Hope everything continues to go smoothly for you now that you're home!!! 

~Melissa~
                                                    ~Melissa~  

mindylou22
on 11/29/09 1:25 am - san antonio, TX
 I also had surgery the 17th & have slowing getting back to chores.  Last night was my first night to cook a full meal.  I can get through the day without the pain meds as long as my activity level is low.  If I try to get out I need the pain meds but am still on my first bottle.  Wondering how you feel?  How much are you able to do?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Petersen's Hernia
meyers8473 · 1 replies · 1856 views
Where is everyone???
designera · 1 replies · 850 views
I year anniversary
allikat1993 · 0 replies · 875 views
one year mark month.
laurie R. · 14 replies · 1237 views