Almost 1 month Post-Op!

nu-mi
on 11/30/09 12:57 am - Gilroy, CA
Hi Everyone :)

My name is Amanda and I'm new to OH, I tired another forum but a friend told me about this one so I was excited to see all it has to offer!  I had my surgery on Nov 3rd, so almost a month out!!! Unbelievable! I am happy to say I feel about 95% back to normal, I still get a little tired but that's about it. I'm starting back to the gym on the 1st and have been walking about 1 to 2 miles a day for the last week and a half.  I have finally found a protein drink I like (Nectar Strawberry/Kiwi, tastes like Crystal Light to me) my big problem is getting all the water in but I'm working on it!

I hope everyone is doing well, looking forward to getting to know you guys!

Amanda
                                   1st Goal Reached May 22nd, 2010      
So ready to continue this journey, so ready to reap all the rewards!    
Pangel19AK
on 11/30/09 7:03 am - Hinesville, GA
Congrats Amanda,
I had my surgery the same day, I cant believe its been a month already.

Patricia

L. B
on 11/30/09 10:41 am - houston, TX
Hi, Glad to hear your doing well!!
I had mine {Gastric bypass} on Nov. 9th, I feel good almost like nothgin ever happened!! Just don't eat alot like I used too. Very Very little, but I do find myself hungry at times. What is the Nectar Protein shake? where do you get it? I am having a hard time with the shakes and actually have not had them for 3 days now....
Thanks Laura
Laura     
nu-mi
on 11/30/09 11:03 pm - Gilroy, CA
Hey Laura,

Congrats to you too!!!  I went through like 6 different kinds of shakes before I found one I like, one tip is, the Vitamin Shoppe near me was able to give me a few samples to try which was awesome because as you know it gets expensive and frustrating when you hate it!  The one I drink is by Syntrax and it's the Nectar line, there are tons of flavors but the one I like is Strawberry Kiwi, I use a Blender Bottle and position it so I can't smell it, I put about 10 oz of water instead of 8 and it seems to dilute it a bit more, shake it good but a few ice cubes to keep it really cold and it goes down really easy!!!

So off topic but still relevant, the last 10 days I can't seem to lose, I've lost maybe 3 lbs after dropping 17 the first two weeks and it's driving me crazy, I'm eating like 500 calories a day, exercising, drinking my shakes, drinking as much water as I can... I know lots of people say they have like a 3rd week slump but... it's a little frustrating! :)  Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

Amanda
ogradysc
on 12/1/09 2:09 am - Shawnee, KS
Hi there.  I had my surgery on November 3rd also.  I soooo hear you about the weight loss.  I weighed in last Wednesday and had lost 22.5 lbs.  Since last Wednesday I've lost .5 lbs for a total of 23 in four weeks.  I'm thrilled with that but am also a little bummed that I didn't lose any this week.  It's so confusing how we can't be losing.  I haven't been able to exercise as much.  I've been walking a few times for 30 minutes or so and am doing the Wii Fit a little as well.  I had a complication right after surgery and lost a lot of blood and had to get a couple of transfusions.  I've been pretty weak and it's been a little harder getting my stamina back up to par.  I'm feeling much better now though. 

I haven't been doing as well with my shakes.  I find that they all make me a little nauseous afterwards.  Not like I'll actually get sick but just icky feeling.  They taste good, I really like them but it's not worth feeling icky for a couple hours afterwards.  I'm close to my protein intake.  Water is getting old fast but I get plenty in through the day. 

Keep in touch.  I'd love to hear how you're doing!! 

Candice
Candice - Lap RNY 11-03-09

nu-mi
on 12/1/09 9:47 pm - Gilroy, CA
Hey Candice :)

One month tomorrow!  Doesn't seem real! :)  I so hear you on the being so happy about having 20 some lbs off but also about the being a little bummed that the weight loss is slowing down, I think it's just our body recovering, like my Surgeon told me... "Amanda, do you think it'd be good to lose 17lbs every two weeks."  I said, that'd be great!  And she just started laughing, I know what she means but I thought it would just FLY off but I guess dropping 23 lbs in one month is flying off!  We just want more, now! :)  I'm trying to stay away from the scale for a few days but it's so dang hard!  I have an addiction and it's name is my scale. :)  I love the Wii Fit!  It's so much fun, love Super Hula Hoop!  My daughter thinks it's hilarious! 

The first shakes I tired gave me that nauseated feeling as well, I was trying to drink them with milk initially because I was on  a liquid diet and thought I could use the calories and protein but since I changed my shake and use water it's so much better!  I'm now getting it all in and I feel so much better, I was getting really dizzy and seeing stars when I'd stand up but feel much better now! :)

So nice to chat with you, looking forward to hearing how we all do!

Amanda
meldave00
on 12/1/09 10:39 am - Rosemount, MN
I'm a little after you guys with my surgery (11/19) and I've been having issues with weight loss too.  I am only 7.6 lbs. down from my surgery weight (in addition to the 21 lbs. I lost before surgery) and I'm coming up on 2 weeks post-op (in 2 days).  I thought I would've lost a bit more weight than that by now.  I'm only on a full liquid diet since I've left the hospital & I've been walking daily for the past 5 days or so (the past 2 days it's been for 30-35 mintues & before that I would walk 20-25 min. or so).  It might be cuz' I'm a bit constipated, which is probably because I'm still on pain meds (I'm still being bothered by pain).  Blah!

I completely broke down a couple days ago cuz' I just worry that I'm going to fail at this like I've failed at every other diet I've ever done.  I know there's no certain amount we're supposed to lose by a certain time, but I just feel like I should've lost more by now.  I'm pushing myself to walk everyday thinking that's why I'm not losing but nothing really seems to be helping.  I'm barely eating much of anything each day; I'm definitely at or under 500 calories a day which is a DRASTIC cut on the calories I used to eat.  I just don't get it.  It's frustrating! 
                                                    ~Melissa~  

nu-mi
on 12/1/09 9:58 pm - Gilroy, CA
Aw, Melissa, so sorry you are frustrated and are having a hard time, I remember right before my surgery, I told my husband... "oh, gosh, what if I'm the only person in history that wakes up from surgery and is like... I'm hungry, I want a cheeseburger!" Of course I was sorta kidding but on the other hand I wasn't, I was so worried like you, that what if this didn't work either!!!  But it will work, it IS working, I think we just have to have patience and unfortunately the only patience I'm good at is with my daughter (she's 21 months :) and my patients (I'm a RN) when it comes to myself and everyone else... I lack a little.  haha.  Like everyone I thought long and hard about this surgery, researched and bugged every physical and nurse I knew that would have advice, this surgery is life altering and I wanted to make sure it was right for me... since the million diets I tried never worked. (I shouldn't say that, weigh****chers was great to me, I just failed it) I promised myself that no matter what there was no messing this up, I changed my anatomy for goodness sakes! And no matter how long it takes, I've done it and it's going to work!

And just think... you are 28.6 lbs thinner, that is awesome, that's almost 29 lbs of butter that's off your body!!! Look at how much that is next time you are at the grocery store!!! :)  I hear you fears though and feel them as well!  We will get through it together!

Hope you are feeling better today!
Amanda
shortnsassyangel
on 12/1/09 11:08 pm
My surgery was 11/04 and I lost 12 lbs the first week, nothing the next 2 weeks and 5 lbs this past week.  My Dr said it was normal and to give it time.  I am not getting in anywhere near my protein requirements.  They all seem to make me nauseous.  I am also not getting in enough water.  I am drinking all day but just cant seem to drink enough. 

I hope things start working out for everyone.  Take care.
nu-mi
on 12/6/09 10:47 pm - Gilroy, CA
Hey ShortnSassy :)

I know for me I don't think I really started getting my protein in (what I needed) and a decent amount of water in until like week 3, in the beginning it was sooo hard to get it down, I think it eventually gets better, tomorrow will be 5 weeks for me and I'd say the last two weeks I've been getting my protein down with no problems and my water intake is much better, I don't think I'm getting exactly 64 but I'd say between 50-60 oz.

Hope you are doing better, let us know how you are doing!

Amanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Petersen's Hernia
meyers8473 · 1 replies · 1856 views
Where is everyone???
designera · 1 replies · 850 views
I year anniversary
allikat1993 · 0 replies · 875 views
one year mark month.
laurie R. · 14 replies · 1237 views