3 weeks post op, having trouble with constipation

Karil G.
on 11/30/09 7:05 am - IL
Hi,
I am having trouble.  At my 1 week post op the Dr. suggested i have some warm prune juice, and that worked great, very fast.  So, every few days, that is what i would do.  No, at 3 weeks post op, it doesn't work for me.  I did finally go a little today, but i know i am not okay cause i have pain and i feel uncomfortable.  What has worked for any one else?  i will call the nut tomorrow and see what she suggests, i am just curious what others have done.  I feel pretty good otherwise, it is just that i am not "going" regularly.  Is this normal?

nu-mi
on 11/30/09 8:24 am - Gilroy, CA
Hey Karil,

I've been going through the same thing, the support group I go to has this "gruel" or so they call it, 1 Cup of All Bran, 1 Cup of Prune Juice and 1 Cup of Apple Sauce, mix and refrigerate, you can have 1-2 TBSP in the AM and PM, they swear by it, it worked for me, I put a little splenda in it, it does NOT look pleasant but doesn't taste too bad. I had that about a week ago and then went I saw my surgeon she said it's normal for your habits to change, I also have taken Mira-lax twice and it works like magic and it's a very mild laxative and Gastro MD's recommend it all the time. I think it's because we are getting so little fiber and roughage and let's face it, we aren't eating all that much! ;)  Hope you feel better!

Amanda
                                   1st Goal Reached May 22nd, 2010      
So ready to continue this journey, so ready to reap all the rewards!    
meldave00
on 12/1/09 12:56 am - Rosemount, MN
I'm experiencing some constipation too.  My doctor told me to take 2 tbsp. of Milk of Magnesia twice a day.  It's easy on the system, you can drink it, and it works pretty quickly.  I used it last week & it helped to get things going.  I just need to keep up on it, maybe drink it every other day or something to keep me regular, especially while I'm still on pain meds (which isn't helping with the constipation).

Hope you find some relief soon. 
                                                    ~Melissa~  

OregonGal
on 12/1/09 11:02 pm - Beaverton, OR
I had trouble with constipation right from the start.  My doc recommended 2 colace a day which has worked for me, over 4 yrs. now.  Recently, I had heard that Magnesium Malate was helpful for fibromyalgia and started taking it.  It does nothing for the fibro, but also helps with constipation.  Hope that helps!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Petersen's Hernia
meyers8473 · 1 replies · 1856 views
Where is everyone???
designera · 1 replies · 850 views
I year anniversary
allikat1993 · 0 replies · 875 views
one year mark month.
laurie R. · 14 replies · 1237 views