Anybody else not sleeping?

Geminidream
on 6/6/09 10:31 pm - Spokane, WA
Is it just my imagination or do we read on the various mb's around the internet that post-ops seem to have insomnia trouble?  Not that I think this is something caused by surgery but maybe it is just something common to those of us with weight issues anyway.  My problem is getting worse and worse and even tho I have a script for Ambien I am so reluctant to use it because of the amnesia and sleepwalking side effects.

Been sooooo tired lately (ok, 'lately' might encompass the past 12 months!) and even tho I literally wear myself out physically I still can't get to sleep or stay asleep.  Drives me nuts.  Only got 4 hours last night and am now so fuzzy-headed. 

Plus....you know all that stuff about lack of sleep making it more difficult to manage your weight.  Grrrr! 

Gonna make some egg beaters and see if protein will help.  Heaven knows the coffee isn't doing it's thing this morning.

Miss Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Beatriz A.
on 6/6/09 10:47 pm - Sunny Miami, FL
 Hey Miss Molly...I am up too but it's almost 9 am my time,......so no sleep problems here. I sure hope I do not get that problem b/c I love to sleep.

Take Care!!!

Bea
Beatriz
Geminidream
on 6/7/09 3:38 am - Spokane, WA
So glad to hear you are not having any sleep problems...keep it that way!!!!  I love to sleep too, in fact have a wonderfully comfy new latex mattress but I just can't get my brain or body to cooperate. 

You have a wonderful day and a great week!

XOXOXO
on 6/6/09 11:43 pm
Geminidream
on 6/7/09 3:40 am - Spokane, WA
The darkness thing can't be helped....I need to get to bed while the world is still going strong and the family and neighborhood are all busy.  Glad that you are getting help from a little RX.  I have one that was actually prescribed for hives but the half-life on it is insane in me...just one tablet and I'm a zombie for a day and a half.  Can't live like that.

Naps just don't happen either unless I sit down to watch a tv show and then I just crank my neck over.  Grrr...again....

Sorry to be so whiney today!

MelissaF
on 6/7/09 1:41 am - Northwood, IA
I was having a HUGE problem with this about a year ago.. going on as little as 2-3 hours and some nights NOTHING.. it took a tole on me.. I couldn't function any longer and felt physically sick.  I do know how you are feeling and its horrible Molly *hugs*.  I am so sorry.  I went on lexapro at bedtime.. just 1/2 tablet.  5mg... it made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world to me.  I still drink my coffee in the AM and even occasionally in the afternoon and I do fine with sleeping now.  I am not joking, within two days I went from never sleeping to sleeping like a baby with that drug.  Doc wanted nothing to do with Ambien or any other sleepers.. she rather give me antianxiety drug and well, it worked.

I hope you can look into something like that... its a PIA not sleep and yes it doesn't help your weight and overall health at all, i hope u get it figured out sweetie.  Is husband still snoring and u are sleeping with him? this may be affecting u more than you know also :(
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Geminidream
on 6/7/09 3:48 am - Spokane, WA
I'll ask about the lexapro.  Since I already take Prozac I wonder if they would not prescribe it, isn't it an anti-depressant too?   Hubbie still snores but we are on totally different sleep schedules.  I joke but really there is truth to saying that I want my own bedroom.  As much comfort as I get from knowing he is there next to me, still he comes crashing into the bedroom hours after I've gone to bed and usually it is just as I am finally getting relaxed enough to drift off to sleep and then it wakes me up again. 

It feels like I am literally missing the 'off' switch in my brain.  The body is so tired and dragging but the mind keeps churning and then pretty soon I start to get jumpy and twitchy and agitated. 

Geesh...the little homemade 'coctail' that sometimes works for me is quite a bit nutty too....Ambien, Prozac, an antihistimine, an herbal sleep supplement and eating some carbs.  That will often get me to sleep for about 4 hrs and then I wake up again.  It isn't so bad in winter but ever since having this job for the last 9 summers sleeping has been an increasing problem.  I think last year it was really the root cause of my worsening depression and weight gain and I will be D*MNED if I gain more weight this summer!  Not to mention, who wants to waste the prettiest months of the year in a 2-season climate (you know, winter and summer) being depressed?!

LOL
At least I still haven't lost my (warped) sense of humour!

PS...my surgeon's office just lost our WONDERFUL dietician...she is the 2nd key person there to quit recently and I don't think they have any plans to replace her.  What in the world will we do without her? 

MelissaF
on 6/7/09 4:28 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Molls,

Yes I do believe it is for depression but used a lot for OCD and other anxiety disorders as well.  I take wellbutrin during the day and lexapro before bed.  

Wow you really do have to take a combination of stuff and eat carbs to sleep... i'd say you need some changes and a visit to the doctor is in order.  Might need to try a different remedy I am thinking.

I agree, do not let sleep depriviation affect you overall with mood, weight gain etc... not worth it.  Please go make an appointment Molly.  I am worried about you.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dietician at your office, that has to be a blow for your program, especially since they are not planning to hire another one!  Are the a center of excellence? if so, i believe they have to.  Ours never gave me any adivice worth a dime.. hate to say it but it is true.  OH was much better for educating me than she ever was :-(  She is nice enough though.

Anyways, I saw your pic with your apron on, SOOO cute.  You sure don't look sleep deprived in the pic, beautiful as always.  I hope you feel better soon Molls, keep us posted.  I am gonna stay on you lol... see if you were able to get anything done.  Only b/c I care.

Love ya!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Geminidream
on 6/8/09 11:58 am - Spokane, WA
Guess what has me working on this more is joining the Sparkpeople sleep challenge.  It started in June and I thought I'd be able to pick up helpful hints, but really it is a lot of the same old info.

Yes, a dr. visit is definitely in order but after having talked to her about it several times already it just feels like not much is going to get accomplished till I get a different job and that isn't going to happen.  Could it also be a midlife thing?

So sorry to hear that your dietician was of so little help.  After going through one failed attempt at weight loss surgery and doing it without a dietician it feels like a vital part of the lifeline for me now and I have to say that even though I haven't seen her professionally in the last year...just being able to connect with her at support group monthly and via e-mail has been really important.  The loss of that is scary. 

The Center of Excellence thing won't apply...my surgeon's office is through a group medical practice.  It is their previous dietician who is the head of the hospital's bariatric group and that is where the Center of Excellence is actually.  In fact, when I recently visited a friend in the hospital that dietician was there and very interested in my bento's.  She took pictures of what I'd packed to eat at the hospital that day, how flattering!  That was one more thing that spurred me on to get the blog and bento photos going.  After all, it must be very intriguing to pre-ops and new post-ops to see how those of us a little further out really eat day-to-day.  If I'd been able to see visuals of the food like that instead of just reading about it, I'd have been a lot more informed at that stage.   

That was a funny picture...I wonder what was on my chin?  Amy and I were certainly handling a lot of stuff and I hope I didn't have a big old dirt mark on my face all day till lunch time.  At least I know I wiped my face well then.

Last night: Full-tablet of Ambien, antihistimine, 2 MidNite tablets, the Prozac...all washed down with warm milk.  I slept from 9 till 1:30 and then from 2 till 3:45 when I'd been hitting my snooze alarm for 45 minutes. LOL   That's an increase in sleep and a good thing.

Thank you for all the help and keeping after me.   Hugs!

Lady Lithia
on 6/7/09 1:44 am
I take 1 mg melatonin and it does the trick.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics
6 years out...can't believe it
lacygirlcat · 0 replies · 789 views
6 years later
Mr. K · 2 replies · 750 views
Waist Management
XOXOXO · 1 replies · 1422 views
anniversity
briancunn · 1 replies · 805 views
Facebook News!!!!!!!!!!!!