Today...

MelissaF
on 6/11/09 11:00 pm, edited 6/12/09 8:35 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Gang!

Just wanted to share with all of you what I got asked to do today...

All of you know how I got chosen to be the first bariatric coordinator for my hospital system just to later turn the job down due to the overwhelming committments that came with the job.  Well I have maintained a relationship with my replacement, Connie.  She has asked me to show up at the hospital today at 11pm to do a "video shoot" for the an obesity sensitivity training video!

Part of acquiring a Center of Excellence with a hospital is to provide mandatory training for each and every staff memeber of the hospital and surrouding clinics.  This prepares everyone (including kitchen staff, security guards etc) for people of size being in our system and being friendly towards them and accepting.  Basically a no tolerance of obesity stereotyping or outward displays of prejudism will be tolerated once this video is viewed.

I gave them a before pic of me at 328 lbs and they will show that pic and ask what the people viewing it feels when they see my picture.  Then they will take a pic of me today and ask what they feel when they see this person.  They will go on to reveal that I am the same person and not judge a book by its cover etc...

Part of me is extremely excited but then this REALLY puts me out there in the "limelight" if you will.  More pressure on me to maintain my weight and even more "microscope" focus on me like I spoke of in reply to Dawn's post on Wednesday.  It makes it a lot of pressure but I only hope it helps me and of course can never put down a flattering opproutunity to help educate people on why making fun of an obese person just shouldn't be accepted and what we mentally go through.

Wish me luck.. I am excited....
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

tina_stamps
on 6/11/09 11:46 pm - New Milford, PA
That is awesome Melissa!  You are such an inspiration to all of us, and a great advocate for the obese and formerly obese!  I couldn't think of a better person to do this video!

Congrats and "break a leg!"

Public service announcement: You LOSE weight, you LOSE hair....
Your clothes become
LOOSE... we spend all our LOOSE change on protein supplements...

MelissaF
on 6/12/09 3:07 pm - Northwood, IA
Aw thanks Tina - it went well :-)  I posted a pic on my profile of the outfit I chose today :)  I felt pretty good in it!

no broken legs Even walkin in heels! :)
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

natalie1975
on 6/12/09 1:40 am - Yardley, PA
Melissa,

That is amazing..i can't think of a better or more inspiring candidate for this project.

Also, even though I'm not very politically correct and, in general tend to snicker at "sensitivity training" stuff, this one I find truly worthwhile and necessary due to some of the comments/snickers i have heard about obese or even slightly chubby people from others. When you move to a new city and/or meet people who only see a size 2 girl they don't tend to assume you may have been one of those "fatsos" so, of course, you must be in on the joke....i have a sharp tounge (comes from years as a litgator) and, boy have they paid dearly for those...

amazingly, some of those comments came from otherwise intelligent, well-educated indoviduals who would never make a rasist, homophobic, sexist or other type of "bigoted" comment. nor would they make fun of someone with diabetes, mental retardation, etc. But i guess obsesity is perceived as fair game...after all, "if that chubby chick just put down her big back and got on a treadmill once in a blue moon, she might actually get laid once in a while...hahaha"

so go get them girl!!!

love, Nat
MelissaF
on 6/12/09 3:08 pm - Northwood, IA
Thanks girlie.. I get this too, ppl don't know that I was heavy b4 and start making remarks.. I set em right also, infuriates me!!!!!

So glad you think what I did was honorbale - like I said it puts me under the microscope that much more but I gotta do it, its for the bariatric community and well for obesity awareness and teaching.. I have to do it.  I could never say no.

Thanks for supporting me!
Hugs, Melissa 

Mini-me
on 6/12/09 7:01 am - KY

CONGRATS

YES THE PRESSURE IS VERY OVERWHELMING BEING IN THE SPOTLIGHT ALL THE TIME WHEN PEOPLE CONTINUALLY WATCH EVERYTHING YOU EAT, HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOUR GAINING, ECT..... 

THAT IS WHY I SPAS OUT ALL THE TIME CAUSE I KNOW HOW PEOPLE ARE.  I SHOULDN'T LET IT BOTHER ME BUT IT DOES.

GOOD LUCK SWEETIE

MelissaF
on 6/12/09 3:11 pm - Northwood, IA
Thanks Melissa, it can be quite intimidating and scary to be in the spotlight b/c ppl want to see you fail sometimes.. sad but true!

We really shoudln't worry what others think, this is OUR journey.  I think we have always worried so its hard not to worry now.. almost worry more sometimes b/c I am not disguised like I once was.
Hugs, Melissa 

Beatriz A.
on 6/12/09 8:31 am - Sunny Miami, FL
 Best of Lucks!!!

It  sure puts a lots of pressure on you but look at the bright side of it and you will come out as a winner no matter what!!!

Do not forget to tell us how it went.

Bea
Beatriz
MelissaF
on 6/12/09 3:09 pm - Northwood, IA
Yeah it does B but its worth it!!!  Thanks for saying I am a winner :)  You are so sweet.   

It went absolutely great.  I even got to be a family member overhearing the OR people talk rudely about my family and how "large" she was and how she was just gross and didn't fit on the operating table.. I was quite offended  :-)  at least I tried to "act" like I was :)  It was fun.. I hope it reallly makes ppl understand what obese ppl go through on a day to day basis.
Hugs, Melissa 

XOXOXO
on 6/12/09 10:22 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
6 years out...can't believe it
lacygirlcat · 0 replies · 789 views
6 years later
Mr. K · 2 replies · 750 views
Waist Management
XOXOXO · 1 replies · 1422 views