saw something on WLS surgery on tv today--reminded me that today is my 3 year...

natalie1975
on 12/22/09 7:22 am - Yardley, PA
so, first of all, happy belated and upcoming 3 year surgiversaries for all of you, my fellow dec.06 babies

I have to apologise that i haven't been a regular on obesityhelp--after the first year or two, my weight really stopped being an on-going issues so i kind of stopped obsessing about it that much. That is not to say i'm perfect: i really should start exercising, could probably drop 10 lbs or so..count my protein and calories and all that good stuff.. but, honestly...i can't complain.

i actually remembered to weigh myself today: again, now it's only a weekly or a semi-weekly thing unless i pork up a little (i fluctuate 10lbs up and down, nothing dramatic.)and have to go back to being more diligent abou****ching what i eat. fortunately, this last year, i've noticed that overating is now rarely, if ever, a complulsion--i generally eat healthy, probably consume 2000 or so cals a day on average but don't really count. no food is off limit, but i'm not a big fan of fast food no do i crave it any longer. A go out to lunch/dinner 2-3 times/week and or we order pizza/chinse quite a bit but my portion control is pretty good so i haven't cound it to be an issue as far a weigth maintanance.

so, 3 years ago, i was 5'4 and 225lbs. today, i'm still 5'4, 132 lbs (generally fluctuate between 127 and 135.) I'm still size 2-4 (have been for the last 2 years) and even though WLS didn't solve all my life problems, it seems like not only did it solve my weight issue but that the more time goes by, the easier it is to maintain since the addiction to food is just simply no longer there.

Hope everyone is doing well and I'll try to check in more regularly--just wanted to check in and post and update.

Love,
Nat
Mini-me
on 12/24/09 6:26 pm - KY
WTG NAT SO GLAD YOU ARE STILL DOING GOOD.  I'M UP 14 LBS. NOW ~  MY PLAN IS TO KICK IT IN GEAR AFTER THE HOLIDAYS BUT WHO KNOWS IF I'LL ACTUALLY DO IT   LOL

ANY WHO I JUST WANTED TO CONGRADULATE YOU ON YOUR PROGRESS, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR
MINI ME

GO COLTS!!!!

XOXOXO
on 1/2/10 1:11 am
MelissaF
on 1/8/10 1:28 am - Northwood, IA
So glad you are doing so well Natalie!  Congrats to you! I have read a study not too long ago that goes with the higher the BMI preop the more compulsion and obssession with food postop.  I have to agree. I still deal with it.  I am doing ok but it is a daily struggle for me unfortunately.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my friend!

HUGS
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

natalie1975
on 1/8/10 2:50 am - Yardley, PA
Hey Melissa,

Missed you so much,---you were such an inspiration for me that first year, when i was heaving a really hard time emotionally having plautaed midway and not exercising (in retrospect, if it wasn't for this website and everyone's support, i would have probably have never come out of that helpless clinically depressed hell i went through daily when i was obese.) I still struggle but now it's more with exercise (or, to be honest, complete lack thereof) and not so much with overeating. Weirdly, i just weighed myself this morning and i'm down to 123, which to me is pretty close to goal. i'm 5'4 and was aiming for 115 but, to be honest, i no longer even think i need to be that thin...i'm happy just to stay in the 120s and to be able to stay the same closing size for more than a few months (instead of going up a size or two every months in my pre-wls days).

It's weird because i've moved from houston to pa and, other than my mom and aunt/uncle, people just don't know that i was ever fat..it's weird to hear all those "you are so lucky to be this naturally skinny and never have to struggle with extra lbs" comments and i keep assuming people are joking until i realize that there is absolutely no way for anyone to randomly guess, i'm not as genetically lucky as they think you guys appreciate the irony oh, and a date accused me of being anorexic recently because i don't always finish huge protions in a restaurant...i almost spit out my food laughing...apparently, he thought i was lying about my weight and that i looked too skinny, no more than 100lbs. i had to blink and step on a scale to make sure i was in fact a healthy 127. my 4 little surgery scars are fading but i made sure to point them out...apparently he didn't notice anything unusual the first few times he saw me naked... ironically, he is a shrink but i guess not the most insighfull in diagnosing imaginary eating disorders oh well, never been accused of been too thin before and i'm still screwed up enough to think of it as some type of f-ed up compliment

anyway, i'm rambling on and should get back to work but by any chance, can i ask for some free medical advise (i remember you are a nurse and, for some reason, i none of the doctors including my ob-gyn are 100% sure about a personal issue so i hope you don't mind.

i'd like to go back on birth control pill (haven't been on it since before WLS) and was considering seasonic (the one where you only get your periods 4 times a year.) but i really want to make sure that this or any other brand will be 99.9% effective or whether i still may be at a higher risk b/c of malabsorbtion or any other residual WLS-reason. i think 3 years post WLS i should be o.k. but, by any chance, would you happen to know for sure or have a recommendation?

thanks and hugs and kisses

MelissaF
on 1/8/10 5:06 am - Northwood, IA
Aw Nat, you are way too kind!!  Wow, 123... that is TINY! Wow do I wish.. lol  You can blow away in the wind. I am right at 145ish.. not good considering I had plastics.. got down to a low of 133 afterwards but really stabalized at 135-137 for a bit.. I need to get off 10-15 lbs.  Seems to always be my struggle but I am not complaining, I am FAR from where I was.  I just gotta keep it in check!

Af for the birth control.  The jury I believe is still out there on that one.  Thought you might like that ;-) Lawyer Nat.  Honestly, I think every surgeon has their thoughts on this one and no real conclusive studies have been done that I have seen so far.  My surgeon says it is fine.  Others say NO WAY without conclusive evidence.  For now I am using Implanon (insertable device like norplant back in the day) that produced only progesteron but even release of it.  Plastic matchstick like under the skin in the subcutaenous tissue, cannot be seen like norplant could only felt.  Painless forget it is there!  It is good for 3 years and Iowa has a grant for any implantable devices (IUD's also) that it is free.  WOW right? And you can make whatever income.. amazingly.  Might check it out!

Good luck!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

lacygirlcat
on 2/5/10 10:08 am - Morehead, KY
December baby here too...Can't believe it's been three years.  It was the best decision I have ever made....I can't remember how to update my bar at the bottom but I am 127 right now....I weigh everyday and always seem to stay under 130.  That was my goal...from 242 at surgery and 251 at highest.  I didn't have plastics....insurance didn't cover it but I really don't have a lot of skin....surprisingly.  My ob/gyn was shocked that I had lost so much weight and hadn't really needed plastics.  I don't get on here much, it's not so much of an obsession as it was but things are going great for me...divorced and dating a wonderful man now....couldn't be happier.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEW2DAL/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wEW2DAL/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Most Active
Recent Topics
6 years out...can't believe it
lacygirlcat · 0 replies · 789 views
6 years later
Mr. K · 2 replies · 750 views
Waist Management
XOXOXO · 1 replies · 1422 views
anniversity