Checking In

Genisis
on 1/30/08 7:23 am - NV
Well, it's definitely time for everybody to check-in again! Sorry I missed making up the past couple of weekly check-in posts, but I wasn't feeling very well. I started having trouble with everything, eating, drinking, exercise....EVERYTHING. But, the good news is, I went in for my 2nd post-op visit yesterday. I have lost 24.4% of my excess weight, and they only expect a 15% loss of excess weight at this point...so yes, it's official...I ROCK!!! But even more importantly, he took me off ALL of my meds. My blood pressure is normal and my diabetes is under control (yay..no more sticking myself!). He'll check my blood work at the next visit to make sure eveything is where it should be (fingers crossed). Anyway, it was the meds that were making me feel so sick. Since I was ahead of the curve with my weight loss, I didn't need the meds and they were producing a toxic effect in my system. Once they are out of my system completely, I should get back to feeling normal. Oh yea, I am now on solid foods! I ate a salad yesterday, and it was sooooooooooo good!!! How about you guys? What issues are you facing this week? Any new changes? How's your weight loss? Getting in your fluids? Vitamins? Protein? Exercise?
Christine C.
on 1/30/08 7:45 am - Port Deposit, MD
I am 5 weeks out tomorrow and down 31lbs. I go for my 6 week checkup on Tuesday and I can't wait!! I'm still having issues with my water and protein but I'm getting better (I think lol). I can honestly say I feel GREAT now. The first 4 weeks were rough but got through it! I've done good with the exercise so thats one area that doesn't need improvement I'm on all of my vitamins now (B12; B1; Flintstones; Calcium/Vit). I am in my soft foods phase but have been craving salad soooooo bad! Hopefully you will start feeling better once all of those meds are out of your system!
Genisis
on 1/30/08 8:03 am - NV
Congrats! 31 pounds in 5 weeks is GREAT!!! Here's a little trick that i started using to get in my fluids: I eat one or two saltine crackers, and the salt/sodium increases my level of thirst and makes me want to drink more. Top your cracker with a little peanut butter or tuna/chicken salad for added protein too. Ask your doc if he'll allow this, it really helps me get in the water. Also, have you tried the unflavored protein powder, some people swear by it. Let us know how your appointment goes!
Christine C.
on 1/30/08 8:08 am - Port Deposit, MD
I am definitely going to ask the doc on Tuesday if I can have crackers now (would love to have the orange PB ones lol). I had some toast with PB on it and it made me sick (although I can eat them separately ... very weird). I've had no luck with the protein powder at all (flavored or not). But I can do chicken easily which is great for protein. I'm good on the eggs and healthy lunch meat too ... cottage cheese (I love it with pineapple!). I need to go through my books and get some new ideas for the soft food phase. If I can do the crackers I will definitely take your advice. I'm sure it will help a ton with the fluid. My problem is tha****er makes me nauseous still ... all I can drink is room temp water flavored with Lite Lemonade (crystal light hydration) or hot tea. Gets really old about halfway through the day lol
Genisis
on 2/5/08 12:27 pm - NV
How was your appointment? I like my cottage cheese with pears, of course the pineapple is good too. Have you tried the cottage cheese omelete yet? It's yummy. Just put a little cottage cheess in the middle while you cook it. If you want, add a little spinach dip (I like the one from Harry & David) to the cottage cheese first, mix it up, then fill your omelette with it. Packed with protein and yummy too! Adding a little curry powder and fruit to your chicken salad is a nice twist on basic chicken salad.
Christine C.
on 2/5/08 8:54 pm - Port Deposit, MD
Well I found out that I am not supposed to be drinking any juice so that kinda kicked me in the ass lol That was how I was meeting my fluid goals finally. Oh well, back to square one on that one. Outside of that ... I am down 28lbs (I gained 2! but they said most likely that was from the juice). The nutritionist really pushed that I need to be eating 6 times a day (right now I'm up to 3) but its a work in progress. I've always eaten once a day so the 3 times a day now is HUGE progress for me!! LOL Overall, they said things were going really well and that I was doing great. No complaints
Genisis
on 2/6/08 6:36 am - NV
I know what a struggle it is to eat multiple times a day. For years, I have usually only eaten once a day. My surgeon wants me eating 3 times a day. On a good day, I can get in 2, but I'm still struggling to make it to 3. He said it may take 6 months or so before I feel like 3 a day, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever feel like it...lol
Christine C.
on 2/6/08 9:46 pm - Port Deposit, MD
HA I'm the same way. Have always eaten once a day ... so for me getting up to 3x a day is a miracle in and of itself LOL When I explained that to the NUT she was a little more understanding and just emphasized the need to move up to 6 times. Said that is one of the best ways to keep from regaining later. So now I literally feel like I'm eating all of the time!!!! Which makes it even harder to get the fluid in (somehow it all keeps coming back to that LOL).
Robin W.
on 1/30/08 11:10 pm - West Seneca, NY
Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I am still down 40 pounds at 5 weeks today. I'm stalled, i guess, so I'm trying to get the protein and water up. my fried and I started the "Walk to Iraq" program, where we have on year to walk 7203 miles, the distance from here to Baghdad. That's some motivation to go out and exercise
Genisis
on 2/5/08 12:32 pm - NV
Walk for Iraq sounds like a good program, I didn't know anything about it until you posted here. I googled it after I read yyour post, and I think I'll mention it at the next support group meeting. Thanks for the info. Stay strong, the scale will move soon.
Most Active
Recent Topics
6 years
Twinmama06 · 0 replies · 613 views
5 years
wendy T. · 0 replies · 643 views
4 Years!!!
Cindy C. · 0 replies · 854 views
3 Years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twinmama06 · 3 replies · 902 views
I am Back
megan W. · 0 replies · 760 views