Question for other Decembers

southernbelle52
on 9/1/08 7:11 am - Jacksonville, AL
Hi my surgeon and nut won't tell me how many calories I should be consuming. How many calories do you all eat per day and do you keep track?
Thanks.
 vickie

sweetpea4u
on 9/1/08 9:06 am, edited 9/2/08 5:42 am - ., NH
i was told that i should be eating
between 800-1000 per day until my one year appointment.
at least 60 grams protein
over 64 oz of water
and always eat protein first

century mark at 9 months out

southernbelle52
on 9/1/08 10:45 am - Jacksonville, AL
Thank you so much for replying. I usually get more protein than that and I eat usually around 700 to 1000 calories per day. Today I have had about 190 oz, of water.
Good to know I am doing what someone else does.
 vickie

barbccrn
on 9/1/08 9:13 pm, edited 9/1/08 9:13 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Why won't they give you your calorie needs/guidelines?? I saw my surgeon when I was 7 months out. Told him that I was eating 750-900 calories/day and he said that was perfect.

I use dailyplate.com to log my daily intake. Its great!!! Has an extensive library of foods listed. Hasn't been anything that I haven't been able to find nutrition info on.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

southernbelle52
on 9/1/08 11:48 pm - Jacksonville, AL
He just tells me protein first.........etc. When I saw him at six months I asked about the calories and he said, "I bet you aren't eating 1200." I said you are right, I eat about 600-800. He was pleased with my weight loss. He also won't give me a goal weight either. He just tells me I will know when it's time to quit losing. The nut is not much help either.

I also use the dailyplate for tracking. I like it so much I became a gold member.
 vickie

sweetpea4u
on 9/2/08 5:42 am - ., NH
southern belle52~~~~sounds like your doing well then!. i eat more than the 60 grams of protein a day too!. i shoot for 80 or more..........

wow! your doing awesome with the fluid intake. you must be drinking allllllll day long!

my dr didn't give me a gola weight either. i don't think my dr gives anyone a goal weight. i set one for myself to get to. then if i think i can go lower i will..oh yes i will!.... i just set it for a normal bmi( kinda in the mid range)

i like coming in here and seeing how others from our month are doing. it's to bad it so darn slow in here!

century mark at 9 months out

Genisis
on 9/9/08 2:13 am - NV
At his point, ideally, we should be getting 800-1,000 calories a day. I only get about 500 a day, but my surgeon is okay with that because my bloodwork is good and I have lots of energy. I usually don't keep track of my intake unless I hit a stall or start to feel like I'm losing too slowly.

I'm surprised you weren't given a goal weight, or at least a weight range to aim for. Some set it in the middle of the normal category of the BMI chart, and others use a percentage of excess weight.

Some doctors are fairly loose about the intake guidelines for calories and protein because our appetites are so finicky the first year or so. Maybe that's why you weren't given specifics. Right now they just want us to focus on better choices and habits, at least that's my docs explanation.

southernbelle52
on 9/9/08 4:22 am - Jacksonville, AL
Thank you for your input. I am usually between the 600-800 calorie range. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. It all depends on the day. I most always get all my supplements (vitamins and calcium). I feel most days, I am making wise choices.

I set my goal at between 140 and 150. I am at 183 now and my body really likes this weight. It doesn't want to budge in a downward way. I return to my exercise routine on Monday and I'm really excited about that. I have been off because I had hernia repair (un RNY related). 

vickie

alldoll
on 9/10/08 5:36 am - Covina, CA

I talked to my NUT about 2 weeks ago and she said that b/c I am young (24) I should be getting 1500 cals. a day.  Are you kidding me?  I have to eat all day long, but she said anymore I wont lose, but any less, I'm not getting what I need.  So for me I am shooting for 1200 and see how it goes.  any advice on where to get 1500 cals.? :O) 

~adoll~

southernbelle52
on 9/10/08 8:14 am - Jacksonville, AL

I don't have a clue as to where you are going to put those extra calories unless you drink them. I guess you could try protein drinks. I usually get about 800 calories a day, somedays more, somedays less.
Good luck

vickie

Most Active
Recent Topics
6 years
Twinmama06 · 0 replies · 611 views
5 years
wendy T. · 0 replies · 638 views
4 Years!!!
Cindy C. · 0 replies · 849 views
3 Years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twinmama06 · 3 replies · 899 views