Help - Having trouble eating after surgery

Bpayne
on 8/10/15 9:22 am - Canada

I had my surgery on August 4. I should have been discharged on Thursday August 6, but was discharged yesterday on Sunday Aug 9 instead when I went into respiratory failure Wednesday in the middle night and was brought to the ICU.

This problem was present over the weekend in the ICU and has extended to my journey home. The ICU was no help because they have no knowledge of gastric bypass surgery, it was the weekend and I could not call my dietitian or the bariatric clinic, I have put in a call now and am waiting for a call back. I just thought someone here might have some feedback. 

I literally feel full, heavy feeling in my upper stomach ALL the time. I have not EVER felt hunger since surgery. In fact I have to force myself to consume anything including water because it seems to just increase that full and heavy feeling. I need to know, has anyone else experienced this from the get go? Am I alone? Does it mean my pouch is too small maybe? Or the openings are too small? I have not consumed more than 2.5 cups of anything on anygiven day since I have been back on first clear fluids and then full fluids. 

Any help, words of support etc would be greatly appreciated. 

Brandie

ShellaB
on 8/10/15 5:53 pm

I am so sorry you had difficulty in the hospital.  that doesn't sound enjoyable at all.  My experience in the hospital was good, except for the wait until I could finally have some water. 

the issue you are having about the full feeling is not something I have.  I don't feel hunger very often and I have to remind myself to eat and I get full pretty quick but I don't have the full feeling you are describing.  What surgery did you have?

You should definitely talk to your doc and the dietician.

Bpayne
on 8/10/15 6:15 pm - Canada

Thank you for your response!!! 

The care I received at The Royal Alexandra was exceptional, it was the whole respiratory failure thing and stint in ICU that made things harder. And I don't think any one is at fault. There are risks with surgeries, I am on CPAP, I left surgery needing 4 Liters of oxygen when I do not need oxygen at home. I was told that is not unusual and goes away. I was one of the small figures of people who have a serious problem after surgery. 

I had the Gastric Bypass surgery. I have since spoke with my nurse and dietitian at the Edmonton Bariatric clinic. I was told that the ability to actually feel like you can feel the change of your internal arrangement is normal, the full heavy feeling is normal, the not feeling hungry, the difficulty getting in the needed fluids and etc. Which made me feel a lot better. However, my dietitian did tell me that the 2.5 to 3 cups of fluids I am consuming right now is not enough. At this stage after surgery I should be aiming for about 7 of the required 9 cups of fluids per day. GASP, I have not even been at half of that per day. It felt really daunting to hear that. 

But she was great, we made an actual meal plan and I am really going to try it hard core tomorrow, it will get my 7.5 cups working 7 am through 10 pm in a day. It feels daunting right now with how I feel so full without even putting a single thing in me. 

It's so weird because in the two years of prep for this surgery from referral to surgery and everything in between you think you are prepared and then BAM - it's go time, **** gets real and it's hard. But, hard in a totally different kind of way. lol

ShellaB
on 8/10/15 7:49 pm

well it sounds like you have a good plan in motion. It will all work itself out, you just had surgery, give it a wee bit more time and things will work out and you will get in the groove.

good luck

soglamourous
on 8/20/15 8:45 pm - Canada

How're you doing now Brandie? 

I too am a patient at the Bariatric Clinic in the Royal Alex Hospital in Edmonton. 

Who was your surgeon? May I ask why you chose the bypass over the sleeve? 

- Raven :)

Bpayne
on 8/21/15 12:08 pm - Canada

Hey!

Well, I developed an infection in the largest incision site which has set me back a bit pain wise. Thankfully it is surface infection only and should be managed easily. 

Eating wise I am basically at the same place I was when I came home from surgery. I made a meal plan with my dietitian for 5 meals a day. And to drink fluids in between. And I tried that plan really hard. It just made the full heaviness worse. So the fact of the matter is that I am not getting in the 9 cups of fluids/food per day that the dietitian is asking for and I still feel full. I am eating 3 times a day and about 3/4 to 1 cup portions. I have moved to the pureed and mashed portion of the diet. I drink fluids in between those three meals. I eat at 8am 1pm and 6pm. I still feel full all day. Sometimes I dare say it is even uncomfortable. I guess if I manage 3 1 cup portions of food and drink about 3 - 4 cups a day I am getting about 7 cups a day. Honestly, my favorite part of the day is first thing in morning when my stomach is empty and I have not put anything in there yet. 

My surgeon is Dr. Birch. I got the bypass as opposed to the sleeve because I wanted to do this once. This is only my opinion. It is not based on any advice given to me by the surgeon nurse or etc. I just figured that there was a higher chance of long term success and weight loss if I had not only restricted stomach size but also a reduction in absorption of sugars fat and etc. 

I'm sorry I am having  bad day today to be honest. My mood is low, I am in a lot of pain. And I honestly feel like I just don't want to ever eat again. I'll try and reply to this again on a better day. 

Ricky1011
on 8/25/15 12:02 pm - Canada

Hello there. I totally feel for you and your pain. I have not had my surgery yet, RNY, but will on Oct. 1/15. You get nervous when you read that people have problems with their surgery afterwards! Don't get me wrong I still want and need this surgery as a tool to help me get my weight under control. I hope your problems get better and your fullness all the time improves as I know that can be very uncomfortable. Keep your chin up and try to move forward. Everyone has their own issues with the surgery I am sure, and I feel for you that yours in so persistent. Good Luck in the future.

Ricky

Bpayne
on 8/26/15 9:36 am - Canada

Hello. I am having a much better day today. 

Sometimes I worry that I sound like I am complaining too much or sound ungrateful or like I regret what I have done. I am not, I am so grateful, and I do not regret this surgery decision. I have, unfortunately had some of really unpleasant complications and they have as you said been rather persistent. 

I saw Dr. Birch yesterday for my 3 week post op check up. And, he made me feel so much better. I was so honest with him about everything. I even cried and just let him see how I am really struggling. And he literally told me to take my foot wayyy off the gas peddle with trying to get food into my pouch. He showed me his thumb, and told me he made my stomach the size of his thumb. He told me that he knows that my dietitians job is to tell me I need to get BLANK amount of food and fluids into my body and that their job is to worry about malnutrition. And then he said, that it would take an awful lot for me to get to that point. And that he couldn't even thin of the number of times that has happened, because it just doesn't. So, he told me to take my foot off that gas peddle and I am. He said, drink the water and eat what I can. Go all the way back to tiny tiny portions of food. And if I have to go from 5 meals a day to 6 or 7 then do it. 

I really needed that talk from him. 

He took the last of my staples out. Infection is clearing up. I am off a total of 3 pills I was on pre-surgery so far. 

I am pushing through. 

Don't get scared off Ricky. 

TRACEYLYNN
on 8/29/15 10:58 am - Calgary, Canada

That is very good and helpful advice thank you for that

Tracey Dick-Olson

Most Active