New and have surgery questions!

TwinAndTeenMom
on 5/3/09 3:01 am
Hello!

I just attended my orientation and am pretty confused.  I have my one on one with the doc on Thursday, and am hoping to be less confused by then.

During OT, he explained that the lap band brings about a 45% loss in excess weight, whereas the gastric bypass brings 70%.  I really had my heart set on the lap band, but it seems that it won't take off enough of my weight.

I feel very well informed about the procedures themselves, but ignorant about the differences in results.  Can anyone help?  Thanks so much!!
meggieintx
on 5/3/09 8:50 am - Fort Worth, TX
I usually hang out on the Texas board but thought I would check  yall out since my bonus kids and grandkids live in Anchorage. Yes RNYers have a higher rate  of loss but I know many who have lost 100% of their weight. I was going to do the band origionally but know myself too well and needed the greater restrictions(Dumping etc...) That the bypass cauesed. i know I could eat through the band. I am now21 months out, at Christmas I hit my goal of 100% of goal wight lost and have been maintaining since. PM me if you have any questions. I am not an expert, nurse,or doctor but love my bypass!!
Meggie
Megan 
Rebecca73
on 5/3/09 3:04 pm - North Pole , AK
Welcome to the boards. you should check out the lap band board! I know what the docs tell us but I dont by it. I have lost 90% of my excess weight so fare. I plan to get that last 10% off by the fall when I mark my one year. I think it all depends on the person and if they fallow the rules of wls and the band. I know people with rny and we are losing at the same rate.
There are people with the band that loose slowly and some that dont. I believe it all depends on how badly you want to change and stick with the changes that you make. This is not a diet, it is a life style change.
If you have any questions just ask, but also check out the band board.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/a,messageboard/boa rd_id,5359/

Most Active