Hi--I just want to introduce myself and meet y'all!

CandaceHasCurves
on 7/26/09 4:44 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi everyone!
My name is Candace, I'm not only new to this board--I'm new to DC. :)

I moved out here form Idaho in Feb; I'm a full-time Mom to an awesome 5-year old boy.

I'm super-curious about how to get started with this weightloss surgery? I finally reached the point in the last few months that I realized this weight isn't ever going to come off without surgery. I have done The Zone, South Beach, Body Bugg, Weigh****chers, Six Week BodyMakeover, phentermine...you name it. I might drop 30lbs, but it comes back with backup.

All the different methods of surgery--in addition to finding a doctor and going through the hoops for the insurance--just feels so overwelming to me. Can someone please help a girl out and shed some light on where to start?

Who are the doctors worth seeing?

What are the "best" surgery options? What goes in to picking one technique over another? And what are the "mini" and the "sleave"?

I am 259/5'8" sz 20-22/2x-3x...

Does anyone know if surgery is effective if you have PCOS?

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and learning about the options here...Something tells me DC/Virginia is a much better place to have surgery than Idaho would have been..:)

Thanks!
C
Nikki C.
on 8/7/09 1:55 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Hi Candace it was nice to come across your post.  I would like to share my experiences with regarding WLS and my venture.  I started back in 2008 with RNY consults only to be denies.  FOR YEARS I thought about it and was glad I didn't do it based on the results of many of my friends who had this type of procedure.  All the while going up and down in weight by 40-60lbs each time. 

I am now at my heaviest weight EVER.  I thought about the band for years and even researched it when I knew it was not covered by my ins.  Finally this year we had a plan change and WLS surgery was now covered.  I've tried many things in the recent past only to have failed.  I have the never full syndrome which is why I felt the band was the ideal choice for me. 

I love my Dr., I love the office staff, everything is thorough and organized.  However he is an out of network Dr. for me so it will cost a bit out of pocket for this surgery.

It's been an anxious process but flowing.  I started with my consult on July 3 and my surgery is scheduled for 9/11. 

With my history and proof of other weightloss methods tried, the approval was more simple than it may be for others.  Plus my BMI is over 50. 

I'm looking for new friends that are facing this struggle with me.  I'd love to network with you if you are interested.

Best,
Nikki

Gaithersburg, MD

Current Weight/Ideal Weight/ Goal Weight

321/185/138
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/09 7:42 am
Hey Candace!

I'm new on here too, I was looking into the various surgery options about a year ago but then put it off until recently!

I've decided that I'm having the RNY surgery and I found a surgeon who seems great so far! I did lots of research into various surgeons in the area, looking for someone very good and I decided on Dr. Halmi, in the Bluepoint Surgical Group.

I'm just in the beginning stages of this whole process, so far I've gone to the group info seminar, individual appt with the surgeon,and had the psych evaluation and the nutritional evaluation! Now I'm just waiting for the letter from my primary physician and then the whole packet gets sent to the insurance company for approval! I'm hoping that I'll be approved sometime in the next few weeks and then I'll get a surgery date!!

As for the PCOS, I have it too and I'm hoping that it will reverse it!! One of my cousins had PCOS as well and she had the RNY surgery about a year ago, she said that all of the symptoms just started to go away once she started losing the weight!

I'll friend you on here and hopefully we can help eachother out with all of this!

Welcome to the D.C. area as well!

- Jenny
CMABELL
on 8/20/09 10:03 pm
Hello all.  I had RNY in May 2009.  I am three months out and have had no complications.  I was scheduled for RNY in Dec. 2008; however, at the last minute, I chickened out.  Thought about it again for a few months and rescheduled in May 2009.  I chose Dr. Andrew Averbach, St. Agnes Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, also a Center for Excellence with the Academy of Bariatric Surgeons. Those credentials alone are very important to me.  My son, who is 19, is also having RNY on August 27 and he is in the hands of Dr. Averbach as well.

I  wish you the best in selecting the best surgeon/surgery for you.  If I can help you, please let me know.
kimyi
on 9/26/09 11:01 pm
Lap Band on 05/27/08 with
On July 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM Pacific Time, CandaceHasCurves wrote:
Hi everyone!
My name is Candace, I'm not only new to this board--I'm new to DC. :)

I moved out here form Idaho in Feb; I'm a full-time Mom to an awesome 5-year old boy.

I'm super-curious about how to get started with this weightloss surgery? I finally reached the point in the last few months that I realized this weight isn't ever going to come off without surgery. I have done The Zone, South Beach, Body Bugg, Weigh****chers, Six Week BodyMakeover, phentermine...you name it. I might drop 30lbs, but it comes back with backup.

All the different methods of surgery--in addition to finding a doctor and going through the hoops for the insurance--just feels so overwelming to me. Can someone please help a girl out and shed some light on where to start?

Who are the doctors worth seeing?

What are the "best" surgery options? What goes in to picking one technique over another? And what are the "mini" and the "sleave"?

I am 259/5'8" sz 20-22/2x-3x...

Does anyone know if surgery is effective if you have PCOS?

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and learning about the options here...Something tells me DC/Virginia is a much better place to have surgery than Idaho would have been..:)

Thanks!
C
Hi Candace,

I was in your same place.  Mom of 2 kids, let myself go, tried every diet out there including meds, etc...  I truly understand where you are! :-)  I chose to have a LapBand am so grateful for it! 

I chose to go to Dr. Brian Long at Sibley Memorial Hospital in DC.  LOVE HIM and his staff!!!!!  He has a team of people... nutritionist, pschiatrist, trainer, office staff and a nurse who are all incredible and help tremedously in the journey.   In fact, my friend also had surgery through him and 2 of her other friends from work had theirs through his as well.   They all had RNY. 

You should start by attending an information seminar.  They will tell you everything you need to know and you'll meet other in the same place as you.  You should search different hospitals in the area and get a good feeling of what they offer in terms of not only surgery, but support.  Sibley has a wonderful support system (as well as other hospitals in the area). 

Congratulations on taking the first step.. it's a big one! :-)

Kim
CandaceHasCurves
on 9/26/09 11:09 pm - Alexandria, VA
hi Kim!
I am moving towards getting a Realize Band through Dr. Anez in Reston, Va...it is similar to lap band...how how the band been for you? What have your results been like? How long since your surgery?

Thanks so much for your feedback!!
Candace
kimyi
on 9/27/09 6:26 am
Lap Band on 05/27/08 with
Hey Candace,

The band has been great.  I had a bump in the road in Spring b/c my band had slipped.  My fault entirely though.  I knew my band was too tight but didn't want to loosen it b/c of the great weight loss I was seeing.  I ate a peice of food that I didn't chew as well as I thought and it was stuck.  It was really painful and I had to vomit it up and I knew at that moment I did some damage.  The slip was fixed and I learned a BIG lesson the hard way!  Listen to your band!  Do not have it too full!  The weight may come off easier, but in the long run you'll regret it. 

I got the band put in May 2008 and lost 70 lbs before it slipped.  I had it emptied in late March 2009 and then my revision surgery was late May 2009.  I've been getting fills ever since to get me back up to where I needmy band to be and I'm finally at my sweet spot. I went up 25 lbs. from the time I had to have my band fixed and filled again.  I'm finally back on track.  The whole experience showed me that I truly made the best decision in my life to get the band put in.  I now know that there's now way I would have been able to lose the weight without it.  (I have the proof!)

Best of luck to you on your journey! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Kim
Most Active