Surgery at Providence Hospital?

ncmdgirl
on 10/12/09 7:54 am
Does anyone have any comments regarding the Bariatric Surgery Center at Providence Hospital in Washington, DC? I am considering this hospital but I haven't heard much about the doctor or the program.

The bariatric surgeon there is Dr. Mark Rickford.

Pleas comment, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.
brjones
on 10/13/09 5:21 am
I had surgery with Dr. Rickford 9 months ago. He is a great surgeon and I am very pleased with my results. My mother in law also had surgey there 6 years ago but by a different surgeon, and she has kept the weight off and is doing well.
Marilyn A.
on 11/1/09 9:36 pm - Silver Spring, MD

I had my surgery at Providence Hospital almost six years ago.  My surgeon was Dr. Gary Harrington who is AMAZING.  I had a couple of complications and had subsequent hospitalizations at Providence.  I received excellent, gentle and responsive care at Providence.  I loved how I always had a single room.  The only down side was when Dr. Terry Fullum was on call instead of Dr. Harrington.  Dr. Fullum was "fake" friendly, sneaky, uncaring and someone who I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.  Dr. Rickford was on staff @ Providence but I didn't have any contact with him.  I have, however, heard wonderful reports about his bedside manner and his competency. 

Many blessings to you as you contemplate this amazing, life changing option!

Marilyn Armstrong

Just Kim
on 11/5/09 1:18 am
I noticed you have Dr. Schweitzer listed as your surgeon.  He was my surgeon and I think he's great.  Just curious, did you decide not to go with him?

122 lbs. lost since surgery on June 11, 2009
ncmdgirl
on 11/27/09 1:01 am
I really need to change that surgeon. I did make the decision to drop Dr. Schweitzer because it was just too far for me to travel for appointments and follow-up care, however he and Dr. Datta are wonderful people.
asiamecca
on 3/12/10 4:30 am
I am currently awaiting test results/appointments and Dr. Rickford is also my sergeon. Good luck.
ncmdgirl
on 3/12/10 9:05 am
thx for the good luck wishes, I have already had surgery and I absolutely love Dr. Rickford!
philly2dc
on 3/18/10 11:26 pm
This is my first time on the DC forum, I am always on the lap band forum and glad that I decided to check this out.  I had band surgery with Dr Harrington at Holy Cross which I love that place, BUT now that Dr Harrington is not practicing at the monment they had to find me a new surgeon.  My new surgeon is Dr. Rickford and I heard that he was good, I have only met with him twice so we'll see.  When get to so use to one Dr for a year than you have to go to someone new it's hard but hey I will adjust.  That was my first time at that hospital and I can say that it's no Holy Cross by no means.

Shamele1973
on 5/16/10 6:58 am - Washington, DC
 How are things going? I had my surgery with Dr. Rickford on May 12th.  I am still adjusting to trying to consume the required liquids.  Everything seems like it is too much.  how where you able to meet your required protein amounts?
wanttolive72
on 6/8/10 5:37 am - Washington, DC
hello iam currently doing the doctor visits and test for my surgery for august maybe but I like Dr. Rickford and his staff.
Most Active