Can't believe it has been 7 years.

charlietuna54
on 4/20/11 10:18 pm - St. Augustine, FL
Today is the 7th anniversary of my DS surgery. All I can say is WOW…. I began this journey at a high weight of 500lbs and today I vary from 265 to 290. I am 6’-5"; I wore a size 22" – 24" shirt and 60"-62 “ pants. Today I wear a 16 ½ to 17 ½ shirt and a 42" pair of pants. I am off all blood pressure pills and gave up the CPAP machine the day of surgery.      I was recently looking at pictures of myself from 8 -10 years ago and I see a man that gave the appearance of a happy well balanced individual on the outside but on the inside was a miserable individual who had no motivation to go through life.   I hated to go out to eat because I could not fit in the booths and knew everything I ordered was being scrutinized by the waitress and those around me; I would not go to movie theaters as the seats were too narrow for me to fit; I had to drive only certain vehicles as they were the only ones I could fit in; and airplanes, forget it, I was not going to submit myself to the ridicule of getting on a plane. Going to a Doctor, who did not understand this disease, only meant I was going to be told this was all my fault and there was nothing he could do to help me. My family would tell me of all of the adventures they were experiencing and I tried to show how happy I was for them, but inside I wanted to experience the fun, and joy with them. I knew I was cheating them out of having Dad with them.   Then I met a Doctor that introduced me the WLS. He understood the emotions and the physical trauma I was experiencing. He also told me that if I did not do something he would not be surprised if I was not here in 5 years. I began to research all of the options and after 2 years of research decided the DS was best for me. I researched and decided on the surgeon who would change my life. And change, it did.   Today I have the life I dreamed about 7 years ago. My wife and I go on trips all over the United States. In fact we recently flew to NYC for a week, where we walked almost all day everyday. I would never have seen NYC if not for the DS. I have 3 great children and this past year I was blessed with my first Granddaughter. If it had not been for the DS I would have never met her. I look forward to getting out of bed each day and seeing what today is going to offer. I know if I had not had this life changing surgery I would not be able to experience today so, I do not take any day for granted. They are all a gift.   This is a horrible disease and only those suffering from this disease can understand just how bad it is. I made a commitment that I would never forget how my life use to be and I would always be available to help others suffering in silence with this disease. There are times when I just want to go sit down with someone I see at the mall and tell them there is help for there situation, but then I think about how I would have felt if that had happened to me. I still lurk around on this site 3 or 4 times a month but I seldom post. If anyone has any questions, or there is some way I can help in your decision process, please contact me.   To anyone that is considering this life changing event, I suggest you don’t take anyone else’s opinion or research, but instead do your own, get comfortable with your decision, and then never look back. I pray it will be as great of a decision for you as it was for me. Be Blessed.

Charlie
Julie R.
on 4/20/11 10:30 pm - Ludington, MI
Charlie,
Congratulations!  I'm a couple of years behind you , and share your emotions, especially in regard to having the life you only dreamed about.    Thanks for sharing this.   How are your labs/maintenance going?

Julie
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Renee2007
on 4/20/11 11:32 pm - Central, FL
 Happy Surgiversary, Charlie! I loved your update and thank you for sharing. Dreams do come true!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Fade2Pink
on 4/20/11 11:33 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Great to hear how well your life has been post-DS.  Congrats on reclaiming your life!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Nicolle
on 4/21/11 12:49 am
Yay, Charlie! Thanks for keeping in touch. Long-term tories like yours are wonderful for all of us to hear.

Take care and continue to enjoy this new lease on life,

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:23 am - Lancaster, OH
WOW is right!
It's good to hear from people who have been living this life longer than me.  Glad that life is good for you.
Thanks for your update.
beemerbeeper
on 4/21/11 1:58 am - AL
What a great story.  I am so happy for you!

We have folks ask us pretty often how life is for folks who are further out from surgery like you.  Could you share how maintenance has been?  How are your labs?  What vites/supplements you take?

Do you have food intolerances or problems with gas/diarrhea?

Thanks for letting us share in your surgiversary!  Contrats!!!

~Becky

Amanda-DS
on 4/21/11 3:01 am
congrats on a well-lived DS life!!
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

charlietuna54
on 4/21/11 9:33 am - St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for the replies. I have just one regret and that is not doing this sooner. I am now 56 and feel like I really started living 7 years ago.

My labs for the most part are great. I have had low potassium and now take potassium tablets daily. I also have low calcium. Just can't seem to get that up where it belongs. My cholesterol stays in low to mid 90's no matter what. All other Labs are good.  I take 3 muti vitamins a day, 8 - 500mg Chewable Calcium a day and  2 - 5000IU Vitamin D capsules daily. I get a monthly B-12 injection also.

I go to my surgeon every 6 months for monitoring and labs. I am suppose to go next week. The only food I seem to have an intolerance for is smoked chicken. I can eat chicken any other way and can eat all other smoked meats but for some reason smoked chicken will not stay down. If I eat too many carbs I beleive I can evacuate a 20 story high rise. At least I know I can clear everyone in my house out.... LOL.... I think that is just something we will always have to live with. My wife says she is convinced that is why there is a high divorce rate post surgery....

If you are on the fence about what is right for you, please do the research and get comfortable with your decision. When I finally concluded this was much bigger than I could do on my own the decision was easy.

Let me know if I can ever help any of you. This Board is what helped me through the entire process and even today keeps me motivated. Be Blessed.

Charlie
nightowl
on 4/21/11 10:09 am - Topeka, KS
Thanks for the updates, and congrats on the better and blessed life!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 698 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1014 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views