Considering DS

3lilmunchkins
on 6/26/14 7:48 am

I have my first appointment/ informational seminar for WLS in a couple weeks and have been doing a ton of reading about the various procedures. I think that I am leaning toward a DS, but I'm not 100% sure just yet. I have a bunch of questions for the medical team that are specific to my situation, however I would really appreciate hearing some personal experiences about the length of recovery time, and exactly what recovery was like.

I have three kids, two of which are special needs. Initially, I will have my mom and my husband helping, but I'm not sure if they would be able to take time off for more than 2-3 weeks. I could probably get a couple other relatives to come help but they would need a little more "training" to be able to care for my boys.   

I have tried a ton of fad diets, as I know many on here have, and whenever my caloric intake was really low, I was perpetually crabby and tired. Is that similar to the experience early on?

Thanks!

“Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles.”
~Helen Keller

MajorMom
on 6/26/14 7:04 pm - VA

Welcome! There is some great info on DSFacts.com if you want to do more reading.  
I was out of work for 2 weeks and then went back the 3d week on 1/2 days, and finally full-time at 4 weeks. I understand mine was a very easy recovery compared to some. What I've read is they don't want you lifting anything heavier that a gallon of milk for a couple of months and that may be true with all WLSs. Good luck with your research. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 6/27/14 2:06 am - bay area, CA

It's hard to tell any one person what there recovery will be like because there is a lot of variation. Some people have a remarkably easy time of it, others experience exhaustion that lasts longer than expected (that was me).

While I completely understand your concerns about the care of your children, I would urge you to look at the long run as being far more important than the recovery period. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery not just for weight loss, but for maintenance of that weight loss and also for resolution of almost all comorbidities. We are seeing new people every week seeking revisions from other, failed or inadequate operations. Sometimes in life it's ok to put yourself first, even when you are a parent. But even if you think in terms of putting your children first, putting together a short term care plan for them now will pay off hugely for them, and not just for you, in the future when you become a fitter, healthier mother for them for years to come.

I don't know the nature of your children's special needs. But many years ago, practically in another life, I worked with children and adults with severe developmental disabilities, and I can tell you that it often gets more and more physically and emotionally demanding as they get older, not easier. Put yourself in the best possible position to be ready and able to meet those demands, and both you and your children will be better off for your having done so.

Larra

3lilmunchkins
on 6/27/14 3:12 am

Hi Gina and Larra,

Thanks for the advice...Its given me a few things to think about. I definitely agree with you Larra, in the long run, getting healthy and loosing weight will only benefit my kids. In addition to a some more family members, we have a few other resources to help (respite care & hourly care at a local daycare center), so we could use that for a few months after surgery. I just like having an idea early on to make sure everyone is prepared.

I checked out DSfacts.com and its a great resource. The more that I research the more that I feel strongly about going the DS route verses any other WLS. I have read through a few pages of topics on the DS forum and some of the upcoming surgery dates and it does seem like a lot of people end up having revisions to a DS, and I would rather not risk having multiple surgeries. The statistics seem to be really amazing for the resolution of comorbidities, which is one of my biggest concerns. I want to make sure that my WLS surgery helps me keep a healthy lifestyle long term.

Thanks again for the good advice!
Bianca

“Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles.”
~Helen Keller

Irishnurse
on 6/29/14 2:20 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I was back to work in two weeks and even though I was tired and sore I made it just fine. It just depends on the person though. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1005 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1185 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 472 views