Ask Amy, RD

Amy I.
on 9/14/09 9:43 am
Protein Bars?   Protein bars, if really needed, can act as a meal replacement in a bind. However most of them tend to have higher calorie and carbohydrate content. If they are frequently used as a snack, make sure you’re watching your daily calorie and carbohydrate intake to assure you’re not exceeding. I highly recommend getting your protein from the food itself. Aim for lean proteins coming from:
  ~Lean Meats: chicken, turkey, fish, and beef that’s 95 % lean ~Soy: edamame (soy beans), veggie burgers, tofu ~Dairy: non fat or low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Ricotta cheese, and non fat milk

Try to use protein bars sparingly.  If you're looking to boost protein between meals, opt instead for a low calorie/low carbohydrate protein drink or consider smaller protein snack such as reduced fat mozzarella string cheese.

Amy Ingols, Registered Dietitian

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco

mokihanagirl55
on 4/7/10 9:22 am - Kekaha, HI
My husband had the Roux en y surgery in Oahu about a month ago and has been having a hard time keeping anything in.  He was doing good eating little bit for a few weeks, then a week a ago he started vomitting everything that he tries and eat, including his liquids.  Please advise
Most Active