who is performing RNY in Hawaii? Oahu? Hilo?

DwindlingFlower
on 12/11/09 5:12 am - Quincy, MA
Hi there,

I am from Hawaii originally and now live in Boston, my mother still lives in Hilo.  In the past year my mother has been traveling to boston in hopes of having RNY out here with a reputable surgeon ,one that my own surgeon recommended because mom is over 60 and can only get the surgery from a level 1 center.  What kind of support system is out there for her? Are there any level 1 centers in Hawaii, on any island?

Any information that is shared would be of help.  I truly appreciate it!!!

DwindlingFlower

Lois G.
on 12/19/09 7:34 pm - Ashland, PA
You need to go to the boards and look up that info about the hospitals....I know on Oahu there is a support group that meets monthly, and I believe also on the other islands as well....go over to hawaii resources here on this page and also the above event schedule.....I was visiting in hawaii for the month of november and went to one while I was there.....but the hospitals over there may have one too....I live in Pa and go to at least one a week at different places, none affliated with each other except that it is a support group for wls .........I am 57 . good luck with your moms surgery....and her success........................
lorianne656
on 12/27/09 5:48 pm - Papaikou, HI
Right now there isn't a support group meeting in Hilo as far as I know.  I had my WLS Nov 18th on Oahu as Castle Hospital.  I don't know what a level 1 center is so I can't answer that but I know  Dr. Fowler who did my surgery is awesome and the hospital was first rate.  They just earned "Center of Excellance" in October.  There are support groups on Oahu.  I don't know about other islands beside Big Island and Oahu.  Hope that helps.
mokihanagirl55
on 4/7/10 9:19 am - Kekaha, HI

Queens Medical Center has a Comprehensive Weight Management program.  They are pretty good. (QCWMP)

Dawn W.
on 6/18/10 8:58 am - hilo, HI
I am currently putting together a support group here in Hilo. I am 1 yr and almost 2 months out from my surgery. Please pass my info on to who ever you know here on the big island that is interested in support group!

you can find me on facebook under dawn wittenhagen or u can find my support group page which is Hawaii big island wls support group!
SunShy
on 7/10/10 7:23 am, edited 7/10/10 7:25 am - Honolulu, HI
Hi DwindlingFlower,

In case you haven't gotten enough info for your mom, Castle Medical Center and Queen's Hospital have comprehensive bariatric surgery programs.  Kaiser Permanente does as well, but you must be a Kaiser member, and there is a lengthy process for a member to be approved including lots of required education.  I am 63 years old, and in the process, which started for me in April 2010.  I'm guessing it will probably be next year before I have the surgery.  Hope this helps a little.

SunShy

Most Active