R.O.D.--Shake recipes!!!!!! YUM!

berts4
on 9/20/11 1:50 am - Rock City, IL
I am a member of the grads Yahoo group and one of our friends there, Dove, posted these today.  This is a copy of her complete post, I do not have time to clean it up.  All remarks are directly from HER (not me).  Her and her husband were in the Peace Corps stationed in Africa at the time she was writing this.  That explains some of the remarks.....

From Dove in the Graduates Yahoo Group:

"Here are a bunch of recipes that I made a couple years ago. Some are OK for daily use, some are just dessert treats. Hope you enjoy!

Carrot Cake Protein Shake

6 oz. water
splash of cream
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
Dash Cinnamon
Dash Nutmeg

OMG! I didn't have frozen carrots but so I added some ice cubes. The carrots add aprox. 4 net carbs to the carb count, so for me the count was around 8g but to my tastebuds, it was worth every litte carb!!!

Satisfying Breakfast Shake

1 cup coffee, cold
1 scoop low carb protein powder (I used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Chocolate Malt)
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tablespoons Flax Seed Meal
Sweetener to taste (I didn't use any extra)
3-4 ice cubes

I thought it was pretty good and VERY filling. This is a meal replacement - I ate it for lunch and will probably be good for another 2-3 hours and then will have some veggies and dip. The coconut was a very mild flavor so if I make it again I might replace it with a splash of heavy cream (coconut milk here is expensive). The flax made it thick, and it got thicker as it sat. It also added a yummy nutty flavor and I'll be adding flax to my carrot cake shake next time I make that! I will try this again with Vanilla powder, but I'm not dying to have it again immediately (unlike the carrot cake one - seriously guys, I know it sounds weird but I'm dreaming about my next one...)

Key Lime Pie

1 scoop protein powder(I used enough OPtimum Nutrition French Vanilla to equal 30g of protein
1-2 tsp lime juice (I used 3tsp, I found 2tsp underwhelming but I think it's because I used too much liquid)
2 T flax meal (original recipe called for graham crackers)
2-3 ice cubes (I used 5 - too many!)
1 cup water (I used a combo of water and a healthy glug of leftover coconut milk)
splash of vanilla
sweetener

The original recipe was a bit different and called for Carnation Instant Breakfast (1/4 envelope) in addition to protein, so I added a splash of vanilla and some sweetener. It wanted graham crackers, so I used flax - good substitue, maybe I'd add a touch of cinnamon next time. It also called for a cup of milk, no****er, so I used a combo of water and coconut milk. I definitely like the coconut milk in it. However I did find the shake in general underwhelming. I think I would reduce the liquid and use less ice - I went a little overboard. Next time too I might add cream cheese instead of coconut milk and see what happens. But I would make it again because it's a nice switch.

Lemon Cheesecake

1 1/2 T Sour cream (I used homemade yogurt since we have no sour cream)
1 T Cream cheese
1/4 t Crystal Light lemonade powder, more or less to taste (I used a bit more)
3/4 cup Half & Half, or use cream diluted with water (I used mostly water with a healthy glug of cream)
Enough vanilla protein to equal 30g of protein
4 or 5 Ice cubes (I used 3)

WOW! THIS is what I was looking for the the KeyLimePie recipe. This was really really good, I thought the Crystal Light powder would make it icky or too sweet but with the yogurt and cream cheese, it was fantastic. A very close runner up to the carrot cake as my new fav shake, and less carbs. I'll be making this again very very soon.

Iced Chai Latte

Chai tea, brewed double strength, cold
Enough vanilla protein powder to make 30g of protein
Splash of cream
Ice

Chocolate Raspberry Frappaccino

Cup of cold coffee brewed strong
1.5 scoops chocolate protein
Healthy glug of cream
1-2 tsp SF Raspberry jello (I used 2 tsp and it was Royal, not Jello brand)
Ice (I used 3 cubes, haven't been in the mood to use a spoon lately)

I'm sitting here drinking this now, and I'm in HEAVEN. You could easily make this without the coffee and just have it be raspberry chocolate, which I think I would try. I have been craving this chocolate raspberry sauce that my inlaws sent us for Christmas that I had a bit of and then made hubby hide. This shake tastes pretty much just like that. I think you could get away with less jello too, I just thought it tasted too much like coffee and I don't actually like coffee, but if you do like coffee you could use less Jello. This would also be excellent warm.

Egg Nog Latte

Alright so I know for lots of people it's strange to eat raw eggs, but I got into doing it a while ago, just blending 2 eggs with some cream and sweetener, vanilla and cinnamon. Hubby still does it and neither of us has gotten sick. Obviously raw eggs aren't for everyone but if you are adventerous they are REALLY quite tasty.

1 egg
1/2 c water
splash cream
1.5 scoops vanilla protein
dash nutmeg (to taste)
3 ice cubes (or more)

I whipped the egg first then added everything else and blended. It's quite tasty, you'll see if you are brave enough to try the egg that it makes it really really creamy. I think though next time I"d use 2 eggs and skip the water entirely, maybe add more cream instead, to make it taste more like eggnog. It's also missing rum obviously so if you have rum extract at home, add that too!

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mochaccino

Cup of cold coffee brewed strong
1.5 scoops chocolate protein
Healthy glug of cream
1-2 tsp SF Strawberry jello (I used 2 tsp and it was Royal, not Jello brand)
Ice (I used 3 cubes)

Similar to the Raspberry but not nearly as good, the strawberry has a very artificial flavor. Nothing to write home about (and I’m feeling grumpy because I wish I’d made the raspberry one again…)

Summer Melon Yogurt

Today's shake (actually, I ate it yesterday, sorry, I cheated) isn't actually a shake. A fellow list member sent this poor deprived volunteer a couple of samples of the Myofusion chocolate and Inspire Summer Melon powders. After eating about a third of the melon with my fingers and a spoon (yup, it's just that good) I thought huh, this would probably taste pretty fantastic in yogurt...yep, it did.

4oz plain yogurt or greek yogurt (like Fage Total)
1/2 scoop Inspire Summer Melon

DANG this was good! For some folks the carb count in yogurt might be too high, but 4oz of Fage shouldn't be (Fage total full fat). Of course there is the whole "yogurt exception" so yogurt may or may not have less carbs than listed on the label, no one really knows. But regardless, I personally eat the homemade yogurt they have here in Cape Verde and the Summer Melon made it just that much better

Just Peachy - Peaches and Cream Shake

1.5 scoops vanilla protein powder
water, about half a cup
5 ice cubes
1tsp peach gelatin powder

Yummy! I wasn't expecting much from this but something kept nagging me to try it. Glad I did, it's very refreshing and a great summer treat. It's also nice because from what I can tell 1tsp of gelatin only adds half a carb, so you're getting a ton of flavor for not much extra in the way of carbs."

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1101 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5623 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5366 views