A beer

kathy L.
on 3/26/12 8:33 am - Fox Lake, IL
What  kind of damage can u get by drinking a beer every once awhile?
ChristineB
on 3/26/12 11:17 am, edited 3/25/12 11:21 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
My question to you is what is your doctor's protocol for alcohol and carbonation at your time frame PO?

It is not about damage it is about are you going backwards (or can you go backwards) with stepping out of learning your new life style changes? I did not drink alcohol until I was about 2 years out.

I am not sure how far out you are. I saw that you became a member almost a year ago in June. IMHO if you are 3,4, 6 or 8 months out from surgery it is too soon.

PS (CAPS FOR EMPHASIS) BE REALLY CAREFUL WITH ALCOHOL AND RNY AS IT WILL HIT YOU REALLY FAST. MY DH AND I never DRINK AND DRIVE, WE WALK AFTER HAVING ONE SINGLE GLASS OF WINE.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

berts4
on 3/26/12 11:28 pm - Rock City, IL
Chris is right as far as your doctor's advice about carbonation and alcohol.  My doctor suggests NO carbonation, ever.  I stick to that pretty well, even almost 6 years out.

Beer has carbonation, carbbohydrates and useless calories.  Will one every now and then kill you?  NO......but.......alcohol after RNY is a very, very tricky thing. 

YES, it hits hard and fast......NEVER drive after even a half of something.  Not only does it hit hard and fast, but for me, the effect wears off much sooner than pre-op.  This causes problems when you want to feel the effect more........this leads to over indulgence and in some people leads to full blown alcoholism.  It is a very, very slippery slope.

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

sjweiser
on 3/27/12 4:52 pm
 Hi I drink no sodas or beer total fatting. I only drink water and black coffee no sugars of any kind.
crystal M.
on 3/28/12 9:43 pm - Joliet, IL
Hello

I drink no carbonation of no kind at all.  I know we have different kinds of surgeries but with my doctor the protocol for both was the same concerning the carbonation.  I also was told by my NUT during the weight loss phase you should take no calories in liquid form, because eating them is more satisfying mentally.  When I was two years out I did indulge in one pina coloda (but I found out they are 500 calories...yikes!!!!).  So needless to say no more pina coladas and I have a glass of wine once in awhile....meaning once or twice a year.  I'm into that stuff.  I would rather have some iced tea. 

Also as Dawn has mentioned you do have to worry about what they call transfer addictions.  It's a very real problem with WLS patients.  And since you guys had your insides rerouted you absorb things differently.  So I would say you should take things slowly and remember you are trying to start a new life style, not go back to old habits.
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1089 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5612 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5355 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5386 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5421 views