Three Years Post-op with pictures. (Long)

Lisa O.
on 11/14/11 7:15 am - Snoqualmie, WA

November 10th was my 3 year Surgiversary!  I can't believe it's been three years because I'm still learning everyday about food addiction, living with my gastric band and what it's like to live life without the physical barriers related to morbid obesity. 

For those of you who don't know me,  I started this journey weighing 330 lbs.  Here I am with my wonderful DH.  We just celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary!

Meeting my DH made me want to change my life.  We had plans and I wanted to be able to fully participate in the life we started together so I went to the surgical WL seminar and had Lap band surgery on November 10, 2008.

I lost 115 lbs in the first year following a very strict diet, 800-1000 calories a day.  No bread, no rice, no pasta, and very little refined sugars.  I followed the rules and the fear of losing my new tool and ruining this awesome opportunity kept me on the straight and narrow.  I didn't exercise much, but I walked some, did Curves and made several other changes in my daily life like parking further away, walking up the escalator instead of riding, etc.  I was pretty physically limited in the beginning because of terrible foot and knee pain, but I did what I could and focused on eating 3 meals a day with one planned evening snack.  I drank 60+ oz of zero calorie beverages, (planned carefully between meals), and gave up soda...but not coffee.  Sorry, I'm human!

I found OH shorlty after surgery and immediately connected with several people that seemed to understand where I was coming from.  I couldn't believe how wonderful it was to meet so many that knew my story because it's the same as theirs.  Where else can you go as a middle aged person and make so many friends that have sooo mu*****ommon?  I was welcomed with open arms and the shared experience of all of my new friends educated me, supported me, comforted me. We celebrated together every win, and commiserated every mis-step.  I'll be forever grateful for the support of my friends, old and new, on this forum.

Many people ask me for a list of tips for success.  Here's my short list:

1.  Find support.  None of us can do this alone because it's not a journey with a beginning and an end.  If you choose this path it's a life-long commitment.  That seems scary, but change requires hard work and dedication.  You'll need friends along the way!
2. Give back to this community.  Share what you've learned.  No matter how big or small your experience seems to you, what you learned from it will be important to someone.  I can't imagine where I'd be today without those that went before me, Jean M., Bette B., Kate P and many, many others.
3. Never give up!  Don't let one bad day, one bad meal, one bad bite, derail your progress.  Allow yourself mistakes.  Strive for progress, not perfection.
4. You can!  Or as the ever wise Yoda would say, "There is no try, only do".   If I can, you can!  Take "I can't" out of your vocabulary.  You'll be surprised just how strong you really are!
5. Take time to celebrate every positive change!  (But not with food!)  Don't ever take .5 lbs for granted.  You will fight for every pound you lose, but it's sooooo worth it!  Just make sure you acknowledge your efforts as well as your success.
6. It really is about health, not a number on the scale.  We all get caught up in the numbers.  Don't forget to take stock of how you feel!  Notice the small changes, applaud the little things that you weren't able to do before, i.e., tying your shoes with the bow in the middle, shaving your legs standing up, crossing your legs, talking when you're walking up stairs, etc.  Every little change is monumental because it all adds up to better health and hopefully longer lives!
7. Get fills AND unfills when you need them.  The band requires maintenence.  Don't be a hero, use the band as it was meant to be used but don't think that tighter is always better!  Trust me, it's not!  If you want to risk losing your tool, keep your band too tight. 
8. Don't compare your WL or fill level to others.  We are all different individual beings with different needs.  Don't compare your WL speed or the number of cc's you keep in your band.  I've had as much as 6cc's and today keep my band at 4.8cc's.  I still have great restriction but things have changed, shifted, shrunk, whatever!  And for some reason today I need less fluid in my band than I did a year ago.  You'll go crazy trying to figure out why restriction changes so easily but you will learn to listen to your band and your body. 

I haven't reached my goal weight yet and maybe I will or maybe I won't but today I'm healthy.  I can wear a regular 16, XL and I'm happy.  What more can I really ask for?

Here's a recent picture of me taken for my Surgeon's new website.  Life is good!

Thank you all for your continued support!  I'm an open book, so if you have any questions, anytime, just let me know!

God bless you all on your individual journey!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

vlp1968
on 11/14/11 8:03 am
Wow your a real success! Thanks for the motivation. Your pic. looks awsome, that is so cool it's going to be on your surgeons site. what a compliment. Keep up the good work! Even if you don't loose another pound, you look great and I'm sure feel great.
marymcd54
on 11/14/11 8:13 am - Warwick, RI
Lisa,
Thank you for sharing this! I always make a point to read your posts and replies to others.
I was banded July 25 and really enjoy the positive encouragement!
Marylmcd

Bette B.
on 11/14/11 8:15 am
I don't know where to begin, Okay, first - EXCELLENT JOB!

Now, what do I like better: the expression on your face, the way cool haircut or that bangin' outfit!!!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Lifebeauty
on 11/14/11 8:24 am
Congrats Lisa.  November is my band month too.  Like many other wonderful dates in my life, 11/16/07 is one of mine.. 

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Kate -True Brit
on 11/14/11 8:42 am - UK

One gorgeous lady! But did  reallyjust call yourself midde- aged?? Lovely in only in looks and figure but in willingness to share and help.

Be proud! You deserve it!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lisa O.
on 11/15/11 12:26 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Thanks Kate, but I am 49!  That's pretty square on in the middle!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/15/11 1:47 am - UK
 YOU'RE JOKING.??!!

I had you down  as mid thirties. Not flattery, fact!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lisa O.
on 11/15/11 2:00 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Wow!  Now THAT made my day!

I'm thankful for good genes!  My Mom has great skin and I lucked out and got her complexion.  Plus, it's all the moisture here in WA, (lots of rain, very little sun)!

Thanks, Kate!

L.

Karebear79
on 11/14/11 8:43 am
Wow! I absolutly love your post! Thank you so much! 

And I love your picture! I agree with Bette, awesome haircut, awesome outfit, awesome picture all around!!!

~Karen~

6cc's in a 10cc band
Most Active