Medications and weight gain.

Michelle_W
on 5/11/12 10:07 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 11/10/11
 I started taking a med that has a side effect of possible weight gain.  Well, I have gained sme weight on it.  I am very upset.  I will give it a couple of weeks, and if it continues, I am going to stop taking it (even though it is helping me).  I try SO hard to lose weight by exercise and diet.  

Hislady
on 5/12/12 8:59 am - Vancouver, WA
If it continues to cause weight gain talk to your doc, there are usually more than one med you can take for any situation. Lord knows we don't need help gaining, we've got that covered quite well!
crystal M.
on 5/12/12 12:13 pm - Joliet, IL
Yes I agree with the other poster.  A lot of times there are more than one kind of medication to choose from and there might be another one that doesn't have the same effect.  I was on a medication for migraines for a couple of years.  When I changed doctors my new doctor suggested Topamax because the one I was taking tended to make people gain weight and Topamax was supposed to actually help people lose weight.  So I cheerfully tried and not only did it help my migraines but I actually LOST weight. 

Also, depending on what medication you are taking just stopping it cold turkey can cause problems. So please talk to your doctor before you do anything. 
Michelle_W
on 5/12/12 8:40 pm
Thank you.  I am going to ask if there are alternatives.  This one is limited in what it can do, but I may be able to take something else.  I agree, it is easy enough to gain. 

Guernica Loser
on 5/15/12 3:36 pm
 If there is no alternative (I didn't have one to prednisone) then be sure to lay off carbs.  It's the first thing the body looks to in order to hold onto fat.  I FINALLY lowered pred and while doing so bit the bullet and stopped all bad carbs and limit my carb into to veggies.  I started losing again.  AMEN.

Good luck to you and I hope there's a different med.  It's not easy that's for sure.

I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

Michelle_W
on 5/15/12 7:07 pm
 Thank you for sharing your experience with weight gain and medications.  I have finally started losing weight again.  I made it to a 70 lb loss.  It is so hard though.  I am trying to lose 20 or 30 more lbs.

Michelle_W
on 5/15/12 7:10 pm
Michelle_W
on 5/15/12 7:11 pm
Most Active