Anyone have to do liquid diet?

niecey
on 3/23/06 12:36 am - Wilmington, NC
Just wondering if anyone had to be on a liquid diet before their surgery. My date is April 10th and the surgeon would really like me to be on a liquid diet for a week before my surgery if I can stand it. If anyone has, what did you do and how did it go? Any pointers? Thanks
I Believe
on 3/23/06 12:46 am - Bessemer City, NC
Hi Denise, Yes, been there done that! My surgeon required 2 wks before surgery on a liquid protein diet. I could have protein shakes, chicken or beef broth, popcicles (life savers) other soups if blended....I did well, freaked a few times and cheated, but lost 13pounds prior to surgery. One reason they do this is to help prepare you mentally and physically for your new life. Mentally to give up on all your old comfy foods, physically it helps shrink your liver so they can do your surgery easier. Best of luck! Nancy 320/199/170(surgeon goal)(150 my ultimate goal)
Sandi0521
on 3/23/06 1:15 am - Gastonia, NC
Hey Denise, I had to do the same thing as Nancy. It was one on the hardest 2 weeks of my life. But I lost 15 lbs before surgery. I even cheated several time, I mean cheated, I went to several all you can eat places......my bad...Good luck with your liquid diet and surgery. Sandi
ANGIET
on 3/23/06 1:31 am - Conover, NC
Be thankful for just 1 week, I had to do 3 weeks!! Its not that bad after the first couple of days. I ate alot of SF popcicles. I could have all I wanted and believe me, I prob. went through 4 boxes of 24 in 3 weeks. You just have to focus on it one day at a time. Once you get through that day, then you focus on the next. Good luck. Angie
Nancy Hall
on 3/23/06 1:33 am - Charlotte, NC
I had to do the same as Sandi and Nancy. They did have to add soups to my diet other than the clear soups because I was having a little problem. It is great prep for your new life. You will find that your tastes will change so don't think just because you could handle it pre-op that you will like it post-op. Good luck! Nancy
Maureen M.
on 3/23/06 1:46 am - Shelby, NC
My doctor required 3 weeks of fasting from me. Week one gave me one high protein meal a day with 2 or 3 SlimFast low carb shakes. And all the sugar free pops and jellow and beverages I cared to consume. Every few days I made bowls of jello -- I would have a flavor of the day and work on it at work all evening. And lots of s.f. ice pops. I've tried all kinds and one of my favorites was from Aldi's -- they had tropical flavors including melon which was my most favorite. I did hit a few really hard spots during weeks 2 and 3 and had either some chicken or an egg and small green salad. It was a very long 3 weeks and I have not been able to enjoy jello since but can still indulge in the ice pops now and then. Good luck on your fast, Maureen McGee LRNY 3/8/06
niecey
on 3/23/06 3:18 am - Wilmington, NC
Thanks so much for the tips you guys!!!! and the support Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 593 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1630 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1314 views
Raleigh area doctors