how much walk walk walk just post op?

maggiet
on 5/27/11 1:46 am - Durham, NC
So I'm reading a lot of posts from folks who are in the first week or three post op. The advice from others is always sip sip sip walk walk walk. I got the sip part but was wondering how much walking. I mean, did y'all just walk around the house for a few days and then just up and down the street? Or did you go outside to walk all the time. How far do you/are you able to walk? Thanks,
Maggie
(one week pre-op, yippeeeee)

avidreader
on 5/27/11 7:44 am - Cary, NC
I would try to walk around my downstairs (through the kitchen, through the dining room, through the living room, around through the front hall back into the kitchen and back to the den) every hour I was awake.  I did this the first few weeks (increasing the laps as time went on) - then progressed to walking around my immediate neighborhood (about a 5-10 minute walk) for about a week then started adding distance with each walk.

I went back to work, part time, after 2 weeks and was tired by mid day so I was happy to get in 10 minutes a night to begin with.  Don't rush long distances or fast times, just make sure your body is moving for health purposes mainly. 

Good luck!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 9:29 am
SOME people start walking a mile or more within a week and half after srugery. this is NOT a requirement they just do it. Some people keep to the minimum and others do what they can. It all depends on the person who had the surgery, do what you feel ok with then work up to more strenuous stuff.
new-beginning
on 5/28/11 4:51 am
My doc told me it was very important to get up at least 10 minutes of every hour around the house to avoid blood clots.  I had my surgery in winter so he said go to the mall and walk around.   The more you are up and about, the better you will feel. 

maggiet
on 5/28/11 4:52 am - Durham, NC
Oooh, that sounds like a good goal. Thanks, Maggie

Barbara C.
on 5/29/11 2:49 am - Raleigh, NC

At Duke, they advised us to walk about 10 minutes each hour we were awake. Over time, we added some more extensive walking, but it's related to your ability. There are several of reasons that they want you up and moving: 

* Avoiding DVT's -- Deep Vein Thrombosis is something that can happen to anyone after a surgery and/or those who are more sedentary. Getting up and moving pumps the blood from the legs and circulating. 

* Dissipate gas used to inflate the abdomen during surgery -- Any time they are doing laproscopic surgical procedures, your abdomen is filled with gas to enlarge the abdomen and allow them to maneuver better. Unfortunately, most of the gas remains trapped. Moving helps your body 'process' and dissipate the gas more quickly.

* Getting in the habit of moving more -- One of the 4 legs to the chair of success is exercise. When you begin to make exercise/moving an integral part of your life, you are making a lifestyle change. This lifestyle change is going to be one of the foundations of your longterm success. Apparently, the exercise doesn't play as big a roll in helping you to get the weight off, but it plays a CRITICAL roll in helping you maintain your new, healthier body.

Hope all of that helps. 

Barb

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 584 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1623 views