nobody notices

maggiet
on 6/17/11 6:08 am - Durham, NC
OK, so I've lost 34 lbs since I started this on May 11, 2011. But nobody has noticed a difference. They can't tell. That is disheartening, doncha think? And since the surgery 2 weeks ago I've only lost 14lbs. Does that qualify me as a slow loser? I'm not eating anything but clear liquids and protein shakes.

Maybe my vitamins are off - I've not been too good about those. I find I can't go a whole day without napping. I NEVER napped before. Maybe in Kindergarten, lol, but not since then unless sick.

But, I'm hoping that I'll get ok'd to go swimming soon (Dr. appointment on Monday). Maybe that will get me on track.

Maggie

Don27516
on 6/17/11 6:35 am - NC
 I didn't really get any comments on my weight loss until I hit 50 pounds lost. It is frustrating but hang in there. I saw someone yesterday that I haven't seen since before my surgery. She knew I was going to have the surgery. She asked me if I had the surgery yet. When I told her it was eight weeks ago she asked if I had lost any weight. Talk about a mood breaker!

Barbara C.
on 6/17/11 7:16 am - Raleigh, NC

((((Maggie)))),

I know that this is disheartening, but it's also so very normal. Many of us start off slowly and then pick up steam as we move forward. It is very common to this a wall somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks post op, especially if you lost weight before surgery. It's your body trying to hold on to your precious reserves that you are trying so hard lose. The good news is that with the surgery, you are sure to win this battle AND the war! 

Also, regarding others being able to see the loss or not. Unfortunately, those of us that gain weight evenly not only are able to gain quite a bit without anyone noticing, but also lose quite a bit without anyone noticing. While your 34 lb loss is really substantial in the scheme of things and likely to make a positive difference in your overall health, it is a relatively small percentage of your overall weight and that is why is even harder for others to see the loss.  As Don mentioned, you are likely to start having people 'notice' more when you have lost somewhere between 50 and 60 lbs. because of the percentage of weight you will be losing. Now that I'm smaller, a much smaller number of pounds show when I gain or lose them, but again, it's that percentage thing. Hang in there, it will be 'noticeable to others soon. In the meantime, be sure to note the other benefits you 'see' as you continue to morph into this new, smaller, healthier you.

It can be hard to get those vitamins in early on, but as soon as you are able, it's really important because your body needs those nutrients in the short and long term.

I didn't see you signed up for the meeting tomorrow, but come if you can. We'll be delighted to see less of you ;-)

Barb

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

kemmieb
on 6/17/11 12:33 pm - KINGS MOUNTAIN, NC
I had my surgery on May 4th....I work two jobs, well today I went to the job that I work relief at...(haven't been there since I had surgery)...one lady ask me where I had been, I told her I had gastric bypass surgery....SHE LOOKED ME UP AND DOWN like I was a freak of nature...but then some other ladies made on over me about how good I looked.  So you just have to take the good with the bad! 

Oh, I too have had a hard time building my energy level up....I tried to do too much too soon, tore ligaments in my left knee......so now I am on crutches, and honestly this is worse than the surgery!

Keep on the good work, and happy losing, and God bless!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 584 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1623 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1308 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1651 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2681 views