Wills, etc.

Jen 1959
on 5/30/12 4:12 am - NH
Is it legal to make my own Will, Power of Attorney , etc. from an online kit?
Legal Zoom says they are legal to use their forms in NH.

Anyone know if this is true or another place to buy the forms?
Thanks

Jennifer

RNY 5/30/08

S/W  236

C/W  115

Sookie77
on 5/30/12 9:31 pm - Milton, NH
Yes they are legal, you just have to file them properly with the state.

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

Diane333
on 6/1/12 5:41 am
Where would you go to file it with the state? What dept?
Sookie77
on 6/4/12 9:45 pm - Milton, NH
I believe that you have to file with the County court house for your County.  Like Strafford, Rockingham or where ever you live.  You can call the court house and they will tell you what you need to do to file the paper work.

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

bamma2006
on 6/6/12 9:08 pm - Nottingham, NH
Hi Everyone,

It is legal, but I would highly recommend that you do not prepare your own will or other documents. The only document that you can prepare by a simple form is the Healthcare Power of Attorney.  Your local hospital has what they call an Advanced Directive that you can fill out and put on file with the hospital and doctor.  I have been a paralegal for over 16 years, and I worked primarily in the Estate Planning-Probate field for 14 of those years.  Self made wills are pretty much a disaster. There are so many little things that the average person does not know.  There are many good attorneys out there that will do a simple will, power of attorney, and healthcare power of attorney at a very reasonable cost.  Spending $500 or so now can save you, or your estate hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the long run. 

Wills do not need to be recorded with the probate court until you die, and only if everything you own is in a trust or jointly owned. They do not need to be recorded at the registry either. 

If anyone needs the name of an attorney, I will gladly pass some names along.  But please for the sake of your family, do not use the generic forms.  

Martha 
IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HELL.....KEEP GOING!!
Winston Churchill
I WILL NOT TRY..... I SIMPLY WILL

Date of Surgery - 8/15/2008
Bamma to Cameron 1/24/2006
Most Active
Recent Topics
Canobie Lake Park
senyoshida · 0 replies · 471 views
Plastic surgeon ?
jmere · 0 replies · 808 views
Dartmouth.. dr truss
Debberz · 1 replies · 1567 views