New Here, 5 days out

dsherrera
on 1/11/10 6:44 am
I really need some encouragement, I'm 5 days out from RNY, my abdomen hurts, I've got the runs (sorry), and I have NO energy. How the heck do you survive this thing?
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/10 2:08 pm
hiya! and congrats on your surgery!

I haven't had the gastric bypass ...yet. But I am a former banded patient. What I can tell you is liquid in, liquid out and the pain does get better with time.  You're taking in a lot less calories than you would normally, so your body is gonna be sluggish, that too picks up with a lil time when you're able to add more to your diet. Make sure you're sipping water and getting what your surgeon recommended you drink. It doesn't seem like much, but it makes a difference.

I am no longer banded, because either my body rejected it or it was placed incorrectly. I followed the rules, played nicely etc and lost 50 pounds. Then all the sudden couldn't keep a thing down. Weird.

So... I'm looking into RNY with Dr. Clapp in El Paso.

I'm sorry I don't know more about the post op for RNY to be more helpful, but know there are others who totally understand!

*bright smiles*
Cecilia
meinnm
on 1/14/10 1:35 am
Good morning!  You will have some pain - you just had MAJOR surgery.  Also, the lack of energy may stick with you for a while.  It took me about 4 months or so before I started feeling "normal".  Of course, everyone is different.  You will survive!  Trust me!  Just follow your surgeons orders and sip sip sip.  Feel free to PM me anytime!

Mary
panorris
on 1/18/10 11:41 am - Las Cruces, NM

Sorry your not feeling well.  The pain will ease and you will get stronger.  I found that I felt better when I walked.  I would take short walks around the neighborhood.  That way, I got a little exercise and some fresh air at the same time.  Make sure you follow the doctor's orders and don't forget to sip your water.  You don't want to become dehydrated.

Pat

Starting Weight:  282 lbs.
Day of surgery:  224 lbs
Current weight: 116.0 lbs
Goal weight:  135 lbs.

dsherrera
on 1/19/10 3:35 am
Enough for the feeling bad I'm back up and moving and feeling better. Thanks for your encouragement.
Dana
jessicam
on 1/21/10 3:19 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Yay,  I am happy to hear you are up and moving around again.  I am about 4 weeks out from surgery same doc, how did it go in El Paso?  How long did you stay?

dsherrera
on 1/22/10 7:06 am
I stayed in the hospital about 3 days-not real impressed with the nursing care but oh well. I had my post op visit yesterday and got moved to soft and squishy foods so I'm thrilled!  Are you back to work yet?
DSH
jessicam
on 1/22/10 8:24 am - Albuquerque, NM
Sorry, I worded that wrong.  I am about 4 weeks out from having surgery.  Just wondering how the hospital/stay was.   How was your visit, are you doing good?  Moved to soft foods has to be a good sign right!!

bryden1401
on 1/28/10 12:22 pm
You I am jessicam have the same surgeon you will make it. I felt the same way it took me about 2 weeks to feel much better and and get my energy back. It will come just stick to your plan and you will make it i promise it will get better.
Consult weight 329
surgery weight 318
current weight 177
goal 165

Most Active