Anyone have band surgery with Dr. Acosta?

melly37
on 1/31/10 4:43 am, edited 2/1/10 7:21 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Hi there, I am a bandster, two years out.  My original surgery was done by the kook, Dr. Frezza in Lubbock.  He has since long gone and I was lucky enough to be reassigned to Dr. Acosta for follow up visits and fills.  Well, he has diagnosed me with a band slip.  I am having surgery in two weeks in El Paso to correct this or get a new band.  

Since my original surgery was not with him, I am not sure what his post surgery eating requirements will be.  I know they will give that to me when I go down to El Paso, but I would like to know ahead of time so that I can stock up.  For instance, with my original surgery I had to be on clear liquids for 2 weeks....a ridiculously long amount of time.  Can any of you tell me what Acosta will be asking me to do?  Thank you!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

matsmom
on 2/2/10 1:34 am
Hi Melly,
I had gastric bypass with his partner doctor. I know that you have to be on liquid the day before and cannot gain any weight before your appointment. I was scheduled to have lapband with Dr. Frezza, but was cancelled due to his leaving. I am sure glad I did'nt!
DebbieAnn
on 2/18/10 1:51 am
Hi Melly, I had surgery with Dr. Lara and I was on clear liquids for four days and then went to soft foods until my 2 week check-up.  I just noticed you have probally had your surgery....I hope you are feeling well. A good place to walk is the soccer field off High Resort!
Good luck, Debbie  :  ) 
melly37
on 2/18/10 2:25 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Thanks for your reply, Debbie!!  Actually, I haven't had surgery yet!  They pushed it back to March 2nd.  The soccer field is a good place to walk, thank you!!

ccrider
on 3/3/10 6:45 am

Hi Melanie!  Did you have your surgery?  How did things go?  I've been thinking about you!  Hope everything went great!

Cece 

melly37
on 3/3/10 10:13 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 Had my surgery yesterday!  I got back home a couple of hours ago.  Dr. Acosta fixed the slip.  So, back on a liquid diet for 2 weeks then mushies for 2 weeks.  Your new surgery is coming up soon, too right? 

ccrider
on 3/3/10 11:03 am

I am glad he was able to fix it! How was the surgery?  Was it like before? Were you in surgery the same amount of time? I am leaving tomorrow after class for Lubbock.  My preop lab etc, visit with anesthesiology and nurse visit at UMC is in the morning on Friday.  I then go to Dr. Syn's office for my preop H&P.  I will come back Friday after this and return next Wednesday for my surgery on Thursday.  I am a little bit scared.  Who knows what mess Dr. Syn will find when he opens me up! lol

So you are going to be on liquids for 2 weeks?  I have no idea what to expect.  I guess I will find out on Friday!

Keep me posted on your progress!

melly37
on 3/3/10 11:13 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Thanks Cece!!  I am so thankful that I still have a WLS tool to help me out!!  The surgery was about an hour, I think.   Since he didn't have to mess with my port the initial pain was not nearly as bad as the first one.  I was very nauseous yesterday and I am dealing with the gas pains in my shoulders.  I didn't have the gas pains with the first surgery.  All in all, it's not as bad as last time though! El Paso is better than Lubbock, as far as the drive and the hospital was pretty amazing!! 

Please keep me in touch about your surgery.  A lady had surgery the same morning as me that was a patient of Frezza's too.  Turns out that he never put the band around her stomach!!  He is a real quack!!!

ccrider
on 3/4/10 12:06 pm, edited 3/4/10 12:07 pm

I am happy to hear it's not as bad the second time around. I hope that's the way it is for me but I kind of think it will be just as bad because it's a different surgery altogether. I hope your nausea and gas goes away quickly.  When can you resume exercising? Is it pretty easy this time being on liquids?

I am here in Lubbock. Tomorrow is pre-op day.  Just routine lab. cxr, gallbladder us, visit with admission nurse, anesthesia and my doctor. It will be a long day including the drive home.  I brought my homework to study while I wait. lol

Thank goodness for lap tops, the internet, Wi-fi and hotels that have it!  lol  

I can't understand how the nurses in the OR didn't do anything about Dr. Freeza not putting in the band on that ladys stomach They were probably afraid of loosing their jobs if they spoke up.  Did he just put it on the wrong place or not put it at all? That's a major incident report.  You'd think  she would be able to file a law suite against the hospital.  Freeza skipped the country so can't do anything to the creep. I wonder if he lost his license to practice in this country?  He needs to quit doing surgery and hurting people.  

Take care and keep up the fantastic road you are on! 

melly37
on 3/4/10 12:56 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I knew of another lady who had surgery with Frezza about 6 months before me, and he didn't put the band around her stomach either!!  It was just floating right beside her stomach!  Another girl who had surgery not long after us and she has had a lot of problems, so I suspect her band is slipped too....hmmmmm out of all of the people that I have known to have surgery with him, 100% of them have had problems!!  I certainly hope he did lose his license!!  It's pathetic!!  

Well, your surgery is going to be a bit more severe than a band repositioning.  ha ha So, I am sure it won't be easy, but I hope it is for you!!  Insurance didn't give you any trouble since you are no longer morbidly obese?

Most Active