I got my surgery date!

ccrider
on 2/3/10 9:36 am
I am so excited!  I got my surgery date today.  It will be March 11th!  I will be having an RNY. Any pre op and post op advice would greatly be appreciated!

havoc103
on 2/5/10 2:41 am - Rio Rancho, NM
you could not have chosen a better surgeon. Congrats! Be sure to check out our support group. We meet every first and thid Wed of the month at Grace Church on the NW corner of Loisianna and San Antonio. 6:30-8pm. Look for the L & L signs. Email me if you need any more info.
ccrider
on 2/5/10 5:54 am

I am really happy about having Dr. Syn.  He is so kind and wonderful!  I would really like to join the group. It looks like the next meeting will be the 17th.  I hope I looked at the calendar right! lol  Thank you so much for the info!

havoc103
on 2/5/10 5:56 am - Rio Rancho, NM
yes it is, we'll see you there!
kellymb
on 2/6/10 1:31 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Congratulations on your decision to have the RNY.  I had mine two years ago and still feel great.  I can't remember too much about the immediate post surgical needs, but just remember that you've had major surgery and to take things a bit slowly at first.  I definitely see the need for a support group and will look into the local one soon.  Best of luck!  Kelly
ccrider
on 2/6/10 11:13 pm

I am very excited but lately I have been getting nervous.  This is a revision from a sleeve.  I think I am more worried about the surgery part.  I know there will be scar tissue from the last surgery so the procedure will probably be longer. I remember waking up in ICU and screaming in pain.  I am allergic to Morphine and that's what they had in the PCA so they were running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off trying to correct their mistake. There must of been a communication breakdown when they called report to the floor.  I am physically more fit this time around.  I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and this will hopefully make it a little bit better.  

One quick question.  How long were you in the hospital?  I was in the hospital 3 days when I had my sleeve.

Thanks again for your reply.   cc

kellymb
on 2/7/10 6:22 am - Albuquerque, NM
I was there about 3 days.  Had my surgery in Houston, TX and live here in ABQ.  I had to stay in TX for 2 weeks in case of complications.  Thankfully, I didn't have any problems.  I have problems with some medications and I don't do anesthesia well at all!  I woke up, crying and praying for Jesus.  I was totally aware of everything around me, but couldn't open my eyes physically.  The recovery nurse was telling me to shut up because I was upsetting the other patients, and I remember yelling back at her, "I don't care".  It's funny now, but I knew I was going to have a reaction to the meds when I awoke.  Happens every time.  I was very sore for about a week and flying home was hard, as the seat belt cut into my waist even though I had an extender on too.  Asked for a few pillows and it was better to hold onto my stomach area during turbulence.  I'm not familiar with the VSG, but at least you've had surgery and know what more to expect.  It's great that you're in better shape physically this time too.  At least you'll be able to maneuver out of bed more easily in the hospital.  Let us know how you're doing and if there's anything we all can do to help.  Kelly
ccrider
on 2/7/10 8:10 pm

Wow!  I remember I prayed a lot too!  It helped!  Yep it's pretty intense.  I will make sure that this time they have that I am allergic to ms even printed across my forehead! LOL.  So you had surgery in Houston? Wow you went through some horrible stuff after surgery too. I can't imagine how awful it would be to fly in a plane after surgery.  Especially with turbulance....Lubbock is close enough to drive.  5 hours isn't too bad.  We can always stop and I can stretch my legs.  Thank you for sharing your experience me.

Cc

kat87120
on 2/9/10 1:37 am - Albuquerque, NM
Best of luck, Cc, and please keep us posted.  Kelly is being very modest about her WLS, she has done AMAZING!!!  What a great inspiration she is, I would encourage you to look to her for advice as well as being a great friend!  Love the gal, she rules!

May I ask what your problems with the sleeve were?  I have been sleeved since May, 2008, and am doing great.  Because of my health history the RNY or lapband were out of the question. 

Be well and again, congrats!  Keep us posted!

Katherine

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

kellymb
on 2/9/10 11:18 am - Albuquerque, NM
Love you too Kat!  Until CC wrote, I'd forgotten a lot of the stuff post-op.  Maybe it's like after having a baby, you forget the bad stuff??  Not sure, since I've never had a kid - still raising my husband, HA!  Always love getting a cheap laugh off that line.  I forgot about how cold I was for about a year after surgery and how much hair I lost.  It did come back and wavy too.  Even my feet got smaller. I bought a pair of knee high boots recently with no "gores" for big calves.  Buying clothes has been a blast, but the best part is living in a smaller person's world and fitting in chairs with arms; airplane seats with no seat belt extenders having strangers be polite and talkative and even getting better service at stores.  Honestly, that part still ****** me off, as I was the same person I am now and my money was just as green when I was 350 pounds and store clerks would ignore me back then.  It's amazing how much nicer people are to me instead of looking and then looking away.  I'm still overweight, but so much better than before.  I am so grateful for this gift I've been given.  A tool to help me succeed to a longer, healthier life.  I'm not shy about answering any questions anyone might have about MY experiences with the RNY, just remember that we're all different and I can only tell you what I went through.  It's been two years and I still can't eat what others can without getting sick and my bangs are still growing back in.  I have tons of icky, loose skin, but with the help of Spanx (HA), I look pretty good and feel fantastic!!  Kelly
Most Active