Someone Help please! Live in NS, Surgery covered if done in NB ??

bgmma32
on 11/21/06 8:53 am - Canada
Hi everyone, I have been looking into this and hoping for quite some time now. Had my referral appointment and was waiting on the NS gov to pass it to have surgery done in Amherst, NS. Surprise, surprise they denied it. So now what???? I have been trying to do WW online but that isn't working just wasting money I don't have. I was wondering if I live in NS and got the surgery in NB if it would be covered. My BMI is only 33 but I have osteoarthritis and recently diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis, which is very painful I might add. Any information will be greatly appreciated. :help:
bandbaby
on 11/29/06 8:54 pm - Pictou, Canada
Hi Connie, It depends on which surgery you are talking about. I am not sure how much of gastric bypass would be covered. Lapband is not covered at all, but has a shorter wait time and you can finance and also use as a deduction on your taxes. I can highly recommend Dr. Cobourn in Ontario for lapband. Email me if you want anymore information or come to a support group meeting, I am starting one hopefully in January although might have to be February. Pictou County. Beverly
csauer
on 11/29/06 10:55 pm - Middle Sackville, Canada
Hi, i wanted the surgery (gastric bypass) done in Nova Scotia, too, but they don't do it any more. They referred me to Moncton, where it would have been covered, but I would have to wait approx. 5 years. So I went to India to have it done. I lost 100 lbs so far since March. The lap-band is easier to get, as bevbaby wrote. You might not be covered anyway because even with complications I think the BMI has to be at least 35. The lapband might be a possibility if you can finance it (ca. $15,000). Good luck!
paramedic
on 1/4/07 7:07 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Connie, Welcome to OH. Sorry for taking so long to write, but life has its way to limit what you can do in 24 hours. haha Weight loss surgery is a great tool to help you reach your best weight. First you need to select which procedure that will best fit your life style. Research look for as much info you can read. Ask people who has had wls. The first hurdle is that there is no Bariatric procedures being done in NS. MSI will only fully cover RNY( known as stomach stapling). MSI will only cover about $ 2000.00 of the procedure for the lap-band. You are responsible to pay for the band, which is about $ 4500-$ 5000.00 If you can finance the surgery yourself then you can choose where and when you want it done. That is what I did. I had the lap-band and it was the best choice for me. Connie if you want more infor write to me and I will give you all the data that I have. Good luck Laurie
nadineisnot
on 3/17/07 3:53 am - amherst, Canada
Hello Connie! yes, you are covered for gastric by pass .skip Dr Allan inAmherst, and see Dr Sylvain Beausoulai(sorry spelling is way off) he is inDieapp nb.You must contact MSI and ask why u were denied. i am going out on a limb here bit i think your supposed to be at least 100 pounds over weight for 5 years or more...call me if you want i live in amherst novs scotia. i had rny 3 years ago, amd 3 days ago i just had my tummie tuck..good luck Nadine Lockhart
incombustible
on 4/10/12 1:36 am - kentville, Canada
 who did you tummy tuck and it was covered? 
pickford
on 3/19/07 12:17 am - Wolfville, Canada
Hey, I've been going through almost the same thing. A couple years ago my Doctor talked to me about Gastric ByPass and so my Doctor sent a referral to this Doctor in Halifax. We heard that that surgen sold his practise and we were told that another surgen was taking his place. It's been two years and nothing so my Doctor is going to try to see if there is a surgen in Halifax that does this surgery. I'm from Wolfville NS and I will be happy if I can get it done here, but I know I may have to go to maybe Ontario or farther than that, but for getting in my Doctor says with my Medical history I may be able to get in faster. Good luck to you and I hope things go well.
nadineisnot
on 3/22/07 8:48 pm - amherst, Canada
Name: MACDONALD, Allan Sullivan Address: Cumberland Regional Health Care Centre 19428 Highway 2 Phone: 902 667 5400 Amherst Fax: NS Canada B4H 1N6 Reg #: 002099 Specialty: General Surgery Degree: MD Grad Year: 1963 School: Dalhousie
bgmma32
on 3/23/07 1:30 am - Canada
That's great that he is here and everything but....they won't allow the surgery in Amherst! I already tried with Dr Alquel? I am not good at the spelling. Thanks anyway
nadineisnot
on 3/25/07 10:29 pm - amherst, Canada
hi connie, i think, the options u have are to be refered to the nb doc, or pay and go away, like Ontario... and start saving now, while ur working on getting seen to... i am pretty sure, there are ladies in ontario, near the hospital who will let u stay at their home to use as a half way house.. good luck. Nadine
Most Active