How true..

Arlene J.
on 4/7/11 12:49 am - Barrie, Canada
I read this on the Main form a few moments ago..

Ok, maybe I am coming late to the party, but I was reading a piece about "plus sized" clothing and it said that in the fashion industry, that is considered size 8 or above. Really? That seems utterly ridiculous to me. I mean I get that fashion models are mostly size 2 or 0 but size 8 as plus sized boggles my mind. Most of the beautiful, completely normal women I know are at least an 8 or higher. I wouldn't call any of them plus sized. While I understand that different clothes fit different sized people better or worse, this thought just annoyed me. What a terrible message to be sending to the women and especially the girls out there. No wonder so many people have issues around weight or size or looks.

Rant over. You can now return to your regularly scheduled program.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

MisterDiminishing
on 4/7/11 1:04 am - Windsor, Canada
My wife used to shop at those "plus size" stores and I seem to remember size 14 being the golden number there.

Lisa3756
on 4/7/11 1:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
Isn't that insane????  I was having this very conversation with my 12 yo son.  Told him who the model on ANTM that was considered plus size was.  He looked at me as if i was crazy and said she looks normal to me!  She's a size 10.  Isn't that the average size woman?

Instead of plus-size stores, maybe they should have under-size stores!
Lisa

Referral sent 2010-03-02
Information session 2011-01-21
Appointment with the nurse 2011-02-17
Appointment with Diet/Behav 2011-03-09
Scope 2011-04-29
Education session 2011-05-04
CT Scan 2011-06-02
Appointment with Dr. Yelle 2011-06-28
Appointment with Dr. Klein 2011-08-16
Surgery - Hopefully!
Janet13
on 4/7/11 1:38 am - Toronto, Canada
I was going to say the same thing Lisa, I watch ANTM and every week I watch for the "plus" size model, I would give my right arm to be her size. If you are a size 0, does that mean you are invisible? I am waiting for the -2 and -4 sizes or maybe they have those already.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

northernlight
on 4/7/11 11:29 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
This is all so crazy! Banana Republic's lowest womens' size has always been "0" but they're now offering an even smaller size - "00"!  Janet, you may be onto something - I'm sure it's just a matter of time until we see them offering sizes -2 and -4.  No wonder young girls grow up with such poor self-image issues!

Deb

Monica M.
on 4/7/11 2:09 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
on last season's America's Next Top Model, their "plus size" model was a size 10. I've decided that my goal is to be a plus size model. lol

allmylife4
on 4/7/11 3:17 am - Canada
RNY on 03/16/12
I just finished watching an episode of Ellen on TV. One of her guests today was Neve Campbell. She was on the cover of a magazine, which quoted her as loving her curves. Ellen asked her what curves? I guess what happened is on a recent trip with a girlfriend to Hawaii someone posted pictures of her in a bikini and posted it all over the web. She received some pretty negative and mean feedback. What an intelligent, strong woman she is. She stated with everything going on in the world the news still focus all their attention on what a perfect woman is supposed to look like. When Beyonce no longer wants to be called Bootylicious, that makes the news. The only ones to suffer are the children who are not a size 0-2. The media really need to focus their attention where it really matters, on real news and not whether or not someone is a size 8 and plus sized.

Julie

Julie    
Lisa3756
on 4/7/11 4:17 am - Ottawa, Canada
One of the most famous sex symbols ever, Marilyn Monroe, wore a size 14.  What does that tell you about our skewed views in today's world?!?
Lisa

Referral sent 2010-03-02
Information session 2011-01-21
Appointment with the nurse 2011-02-17
Appointment with Diet/Behav 2011-03-09
Scope 2011-04-29
Education session 2011-05-04
CT Scan 2011-06-02
Appointment with Dr. Yelle 2011-06-28
Appointment with Dr. Klein 2011-08-16
Surgery - Hopefully!
Lisa3756