Scar tissue from prior surgeries

Linda C.
on 7/13/11 10:39 am
Has anyone found that scar tissue from an earlier surgery would have an impact on whether an RNY can be done?

I had my gallbladder out some 30 years ago, and have quite a large scar - I call it my football injury since it looks a lot like the laces on a football.  My gallbladder was enflamed so the incision was bigger than most, and it is diagonal rather then vertical.

I hadn't thought it might be a problem til I was reading some of the posts on here.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Linda C.

Joanne J.
on 7/13/11 10:52 am - Canada
I had my gallbaldder out to over 10 yrs and they told me it wont be a problem
well i had mines done laproscopic not open not sure if it makes a difference so ask your doctor and see what they say

J x

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 11:01 am - Guelph, Canada
 scar tissue on the outter layer of the skin.. so from the GB surgery should not cause the surgery to be a VSG from the standard RNY.. what scar tissue would matter is internal scar tissue. 
Tanya T.
on 7/13/11 12:18 pm, edited 7/13/11 12:19 am
Linda, I have had 2 c-sections in the last 8 years and just met the surgeon. He told me that they can't tell how much scar tissue is there until they are operating. So in my case he told me if RNY is not possible they will do VSG.

Tanya

Linda C.
on 7/13/11 1:04 pm

Well, I guess there is no sense worrying about it... not that I could do anything about it anyway.  It is what it is.

Hard to type with my fingers crossed. :)

Linda C.

Sheritk
on 7/14/11 1:26 am - Canada
 Hi Linda,

I worried about this too before surgery, I have had 3 c-sections, long scar gallbladder and an umbilical hernia repair and was told they might have to do an open it depends on the scar tissue inside. I woke up with an RNY with 6 little holes! I did have a fine magic marker mark showing where the large cut would have been if needed! Don't worry you will probably be fine!! Best of luck on your journey...we have a lot to think about while we wait but it is so worth it!!!

Sheri
  Cheryl M is my   aka...chermull6

Gabygee
on 7/14/11 2:35 am - Canada
I agree with everyone else - I had 7 previous incision scars on my abdomen, and in two cases they came from intestinal surgeries. I consulted with the surgeon on this beforehand, and he told me that I would wake up with a different incision than planned, should it turn out that there were unforeseen adhesions.
Just like Sheri, I woke up with 5 little holes, and recovered very well.

sam1am
on 7/14/11 5:39 am
 I was "able" to get a VSG because of my adhesions.  I wouldn't worry too much as most of us that have VSG's absolutely love them!

I do hope that you get what you want!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics