Question about Guelph

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/11/11 5:52 am - Windsor, Canada
Hi Friends,
We'll be off to Guelph next month for hubby's surgery. I was wondering about the rooms for post surgery.  I know that bariatric patients are mixed in with other cases but are they pretty much on one floor or on multiple floors. (I'm thinking perhaps they are centralized to make it easier for Dr. Agarwal etc but I could be wrong?).

Did you get a semi private room or were some of you in Wards?

Anything you want to share on your stay at the hospital, I'd love to hear.

Thanks so much
Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

joanne_1970
on 11/11/11 5:58 am - Harriston, Canada
I was in a ward so good thing someone had sugested ear plugs I really needed them.  I was the only WLS patient on that floor not sure about other floors :(

Joanne

laura S.
on 11/11/11 6:01 am - London, Canada
They told us that there were two separate floors that had surgical patients.  We missed StewartJackie because she was on a different floor than us.  I was in semiprivate.  The nurses were great (except one!)  LOL

sharmc
on 11/11/11 6:07 am - Canada
 I was in semi-private with my benefits coverage.  There are 2 floors that WLS patients can be on. I brought ear-plugs as well, highly recommend.  Both of my roommates ended up being elderly patients that had broken their hips. I was excited when the one was released, only to get an older more whiny one instead! lol
The nurses were amazing, couldn't ask for better! 
I brought my cell phone and laptop with an internet stick and nobody had any problems with me using them.
If you stay in a hotel before, during or after I do NOT recommend the super 8! Gross! 

royses1066
on 11/11/11 6:19 am
Hi Dawn,
I just got out from Guelph yesterday & was very happy overall.  I have partial coverage for a semi, so opted for that.  They put the gents together in same room, so I did not have a bariatric roomate, elderly (2 different days, one good, one not so much). I agree with the suggestion for earplugs, especially for light sleeper. Fifth floor was mine, very good nurses, be aware the "student nurses" do most of the running in the daytime, but they are very eager and pleased to help, so no complaint.  If you have any insurance coverage for the semi, it seems the phone & TV are included in the room cost.  The TV is a welcome distraction after the first day.  I was RNY'd on Monday afternoon  & left hospital on Thursday by noon.  Staff were very professional.
One word of caution for your hubby, the nurse will threaten a catheter if he doesnt pee in the first day or so. It made me squeeze a few drops!  Also, if he does some laps walking around the floor when he feels like it, they will leave him alone to do it as he feels.  If you don't take the onus, it is on their schedule!  Good luck to him, hope it is uneventful and a good surgery.
Roy

Nadine W.
on 11/11/11 6:23 am - Hanover, Canada
Hey,
I'm there now lol on the 6th floor. I have semi-private coverage so there are 2 beds but I've been extremely lucky. There was only one patient in the other bed for a couple hours last night so I've pretty much had a room to myself.
Def suggest earplugs as well. You hear everything. I was able to have a nap today and didn't hear any of the hustle and bustle that goes on.
Nurses have been fantastic too. I should be out tomorrow. Wishing your hubby the best in his adventure!!
Refer June 4/10, Orientation Dec 16/10, Nut, SW & Nurse Mar 16/11, Internist Apr. 19/11, Nut May 3/11, Nut Class Oct 5/11, Dr. Pereira-Hong Nov. 1/11, Surg Jan. 4/12, Cancellation! New surg date Nov. 10/11. The rest is still unwritten...

JennF
on 11/11/11 8:18 am
Hello Dawn, I just had my surgery. I didnt have any extra coverage but they gave me semi-private. Nurses were great! My roomate was great. I never heard a thing. I think if they have semi-private room avail then they give it to you. If not...its ward.
Good Luck next month

Surgery October 12, 2011!!!!      
MisterDiminishing
on 11/11/11 9:23 am - Windsor, Canada
....do they have WIFI for patients at Guelph General?
royses1066
on 11/11/11 10:33 am
Good question.  I didn't bring electronics with me, but while my wife visited, she was able to use google / apps on her i-phone.  So I suppose it must be?
Roy

Nadine W.
on 11/11/11 9:51 pm - Hanover, Canada
Definitely no wi-fi but I have 3G on my phone and was able to get a signal just fine.
If you're bringing a laptop you would definitely need an Internet stick.

Nadine
Refer June 4/10, Orientation Dec 16/10, Nut, SW & Nurse Mar 16/11, Internist Apr. 19/11, Nut May 3/11, Nut Class Oct 5/11, Dr. Pereira-Hong Nov. 1/11, Surg Jan. 4/12, Cancellation! New surg date Nov. 10/11. The rest is still unwritten...

Most Active
Recent Topics