Hrrh pre op nov 12. Long post

Canadajet
on 11/13/15 4:41 am

i had my pre op yesterday.  I took the advice of other members and brought a book and mentally prepared myself that I would be there forever.  I arrived at 12 and out be 145.  I never cracked the book open because I went from registration to blood work to CXray to nurse to ecg to anaesthetic doctor and out the door.  I did have an advantage at the lab.....my hubby dropped by who is a health care professional  and knew the lab tech admin and I jumped the queue.  Sorry to anyone that waited longer because of this.  

as as for staff everyone was friendly and helpful, I asked them about the issues and some would discuss openly others would say that the hospital is new but not to worry you will be taken care of 

here is the BUT....

i felt great until I saw the nurse.  She said you are so beautiful are you sure you want the procedure?  Can't you just lose weight without going through with this procedure?  In my head, I said , oh geez (actually I was swearing). Then the self doubt started, my anxiety escalated, I had no response and inside my head every fear, guilty feelings, started and I shut down.  I answered her questions yes and no where appropriate and wanted to run away.  She was the second last appt.  I went from happy to fearful in less than one minute.  The anaesthetic doc was good and supportive.  

I called  my husband as I was leaving and told him what happened.  He said she did say one thing true, you are beautiful.  As for the other statements, some practitioners do not have the ability to understand what the patient is going through and project their beliefs.  You did not get to this point without analyzing the issue and the bariactric staff would not agree with you going through this procedure without qualifying .  I felt better.   The only thing that I had to struggle on the drive home was convincing myself not to go thru a drive thru to eat away my pain.  I got home, ate my cucumbers and went for a nap, as I was mentally exhausted.  My hubby came home and hugged me.  That was the best thing after that experience. 

Anyone else have have this experience ? 

Zavz
on 11/13/15 5:56 am - Canada

If you told that story without mentioning the name I would have guessed Humber. They are very out of touch and have no idea who their patients are. Which is why I have never gone to the support group. Moments before going in to surgery the nurse said horrible things to me about my size. Made even worse by the fact I had a friend with me for support who stood there stunned. I am going for my 2 year follow up next month and am dreading it. 

Ginnny
on 11/13/15 6:01 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I'm sorry you had that experience.  When I went for my follow up with the SW I had lost 15lbs (WOW right?!) She said see you're losing weight on your own, maybe you don't want the procedure. My response to her was that it will just come back, and likely more.  For me to get to a healthy BMI I need to lose at least 100 lbs.  Without the tool I know that I would never be able to achieve this goal, I'm not being negative but realistic.  Everyone is beautiful in my opinion, but not everyone is healthy - there is a huge difference.

You know you've made the right choice for yourself.  There will always be doubters and nay-sayers, they are that way for a reason.  Your husband sounds awesome, he knows exactly what to say!  You've got this.  Good luck!

K.

B-Trix123
on 11/13/15 11:54 am - Toronto, Canada

One of the dietitians at TWH said the same to me -- but not the "beautiful" part. I am a strikingly handsome long-legged blond -- so not sure how she could of overlooked that!

But I digress. She made me feel inferior if I opted for surgery -- the "easy way" out. My response to the idea of losing the weight myself -- just quoted the stats they presented in orientation. Gastric By-pass has a 70% success rate for long-term weight loss, other diets - 5%. Surgery is what the programme promotes so why did she think I would fall into the 5% category? I left that appointment angry and confused about the mixed message.

I am now 3 months post op and it isn't the easy way out. All I can say is keep your eye on the prize. We don't have to have these thoughtless people impact us on a regular basis. Embrace the support you get from others.

need_to_run_81
on 11/13/15 12:01 pm

I'm so sorry you experienced this. 

When I first agreed with my family doctor that this was the best decision for me (she's watched me lose and gain 140+lbs twice), she sent me for a heart scan, to be sure there weren't any surprises that would slow me down.  The tech/Doctor that did the scan sat there the entire time telling me about how I needed to just eat one meal a day. Forget surgery.  Just eat one meal a day. People in Africa do it. There's no obesity there. Just eat one meal a day. He said this over and over in a hushed voice for over 20 minutes. 

I left that scan feeling like ****  AND, very determined to have this surgery!  

elliecat
on 11/13/15 4:02 pm - Canada

Yup I had  , the same nurse for pre-op appointment!!!

Terri

Orientation HRRH Jan 26/15 Meet Dr. Starr June 11/15 Sleep Study June 22/15 Trio appt Aug 12/15 Transfer to Dr. Hagen Aug 4/15, Meet Dr. Hagen Aug 13/15, Dr. Glazer Aug 14/15! Surgery Sept 14/15

Canadajet
on 11/14/15 2:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments and support.  The nurses' response is one of the reasons I have chosen not to tell anyone at work.  I have had one friend who has asked me every time I see her if I really have thought about it.  Are you sure you want to go through with it.  Well, she is obese, and has had 5 friends go have this procedure and now be being the sixth.  I realized she had her own fears and doubts and she tells me she can not give up food.  Ok, it is her issue not mine.  

2 more sleeps and my new adventure to a healthy more active me.

Thanks 

Most Active
Recent Topics