Protein SHakes

Sabrina T.
on 10/3/11 6:21 am - Orillia, Canada
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie on here, my surgery is scheduled for November 8th!  YAY!!!
I havea question regarding protein shakes.  Which brand do you all recommend for after surgery?  I have heard of people getting free samples to try them out but are we able to get any free samples here in Canada? 

Looking forward to your responses!

Sabrina
tango123
on 10/3/11 6:35 am
Popeyes will let you try what they have in store. When I was there I must have tried 20 of them and finally found the one I liked.
PatXYZ
on 10/3/11 7:05 am
GNC will let you return anything you don't like within 30 days, so I like using them. They have a lot of whey protein shakes that are low carb and have lots of delicious flavours (chocolate peanut butter!). My favourite is a brand you can only get in the US, Nature's Best, because it is a shake and multi-vitamin in one. Also, if you buy the Gold Card and buy on sales (they also have some vitamins) you can get pretty good prices.
SandpaperSandy
on 10/3/11 7:53 am - Kitchener, Canada
Do yourself a favor and wait until AFTER your surgery to do any taste testing.

Some patients have found that their taste buds change post surgery. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/3/11 8:34 am - Windsor, Canada
Be sure to check into your surgical center guide lines about protein shakes. some surgical centers prefer that you do not do shakes but rather that you get all your nourishment through food. As well some have specific guidelines about sugar, protein and calories so be sure to check into your surgical center . There are some shakes with vitamins but some surgical centers do not want you to do-- some prefer that vitamins are separate. Every facility seems to have different rules.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Brandy S.
on 10/3/11 10:05 am - Sudbury, Canada
I bought the Premier already made ones from costco, they are YUMMY.
Brandyyy  
CanDoItFour
on 10/3/11 10:50 am - Canada
Hi Sabrina

I did a lot of testing too presurgery, and REALLY stocked up on my favourite before I went to the hospital so I'd be ready.  What I didn't anticipate was that my sense of taste would change dramatically post surgery, and that my careful planning would go out the window because it was way too sweet for me. 

My husband pulled 4 cases of prepared shakes out of the cold-room this weekend and we checked the expiry dates thinking we'd take them to the NUT. @ TWH so others could try them.  Too late - they'd already expired :(  Now they're in the garbage.  So don't stock up too much!

Best wishes for your surgery!

Claire
Mary A.
on 10/5/11 1:17 am

all I can say is good luck I tried at least 16+ different types, flavours brands until I settled on my current one..even being unflavoured, low carb etc..it still has a bit of a "taste" unless I doctor it with a teaspoon of orange juice...

I agree...I buy mine from GNC...I don;t like Weider berry flavoured stuff, so I buy IspPro unflavoured, low carb.

don't rely on free samples..they are great if you can get them, but you need to do some investing in your health..

I received this product from a friend and found some of the samples actually tasty

http://shop.bariatriceating.com/Protein-Sample-Kit--our-best -tasting-proteins-PLUS-bariatric-bestseller-Before-After_p_7 7.html

although it is a USA based company they do ship to Canada and apparently your first order is 10% off.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics