OT: Budgeting

lynnc99
on 4/20/11 10:20 pm
Some of you know that I do some freelance writing as an "aside" from my regular job.

I am working on a piece on budgeting/living on a budget.

What are your best suggestions and experiences for successfully cutting back expenses and live within the budget?

In these tough economic times, we may all benefit from the list of ideas that we can kick out!
Liz R.
on 4/20/11 10:26 pm - Easton, PA
Well having a baby and a husband I try to keep things as tight as I can.

I shop sales - IE diapers were on sale a few weeks ago for $6 off so I bought 6 cases and put them aside. I buy store brands whenever I can. Handme downs are a life saver! I also "auto pay" most of my bills so I never have to incur a late fee because I forgot to pay something.
lynnc99
on 4/21/11 10:10 pm
That planning ahead can make a huge difference Liz!

I learned the trick of "auto pay" the hard way, believe me!
Lisa H.
on 4/20/11 11:17 pm - Whitehall, PA
 I can't wait to see the answers to this.  I just started trying to actually USE the coupons I clip.  But other than that I am really bad with my money. 

My tracker

hers 

lynnc99
on 4/21/11 10:12 pm
LIsa, I am better than I used to be with money but it has always been a weak point with me. Especially when my kids were growing up. I wanted them to have the "stuff" they wanted and ended up using credit cards too much. I am now MUCH more strict with credit but can spend money like it's water if I'm not careful. It's like an on/off switch for me - either I spend it fast, or go into "frugal" mode and won't buy anything at all.
Lisa H.
on 4/21/11 10:15 pm - Whitehall, PA
Thankfully.. or sometimes not, I don't have any credit cards.  It's great to know that I can't get caught up, but it also is bad when an emergency comes up and I need a back up plan. 

I know that I am much better off NOT having any credit cards b/c I am not yet capable of using them JUST for emergencies.  

My tracker

hers 

Cheryl.P
on 4/20/11 11:47 pm - Philadelphia, PA
about the coupons have you seen the new show  EXTREME COUPONING.  these people buy $1600.00 worth of food and supplies and pay about$ 6.85

my way to save on entertainment is netflix. for $16.00 a month we get 2 movies at a time and unlimited streaming movies(that list is usually older movies)

i save on beauty by using the schools instead of salons. a cut,style,and blow dry is about $8.The new Empire beauty academy in Springfield pa and Venus beauty in Aston and fol croft  pa are pretty good.Both have websites with hours and prices listed.

using a local garage for repairs instead of the car dealer saves tons of money. especially if the warranty  has expired, or the part isn't covered.wear items are not usually covered so have someone local do your breaks.

great websites for free items are
www.freecycle.org  people list local items they no longer want and you contact them about picking up the item. it its a wonderful way to keep thing out of the landfills,and a wonderful way to help others at the same time

www.craigslist.com also has a free section, and a curb alert. that is when someone throws away something good and it is on a curb.so you don't have to go into a house.
lynnc99
on 4/21/11 10:13 pm
Have to watch Extreme Couponing!

Craigslist and freecycle are great suggestions. I have made some money selling things on Craigslist, and also found some real bargains there!
Cheryl.P
on 4/21/11 12:58 am - Philadelphia, PA

sign up for every store reward card. on your birthday they give out free coupons. i get things like hughe saving coupons, free meals,and service upgrades.

restaurants will usually give a free appitizer or entree on your birthday

if you love a product.. just email the company and tell them why you like them and ask for coupons. they usually send free item coupons.

if you smoke you can tell the company that you are a loyal coustomer . or contact their competitor and say you want to try them and are afraid to because of the cost. my neighbor received a free carton of smokes.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:23 am
Budget??? YOu mean the tree will not bloom this spring in the backyard? 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1801 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1897 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2576 views