Four Year Surgiversary

jastypes
on 5/30/11 11:42 pm - Croydon, PA

It is hard for me to believe it has been 4 years since my surgery.  So much has changed.  4 years ago I was married to an abusive, drug-addicted husband.  I was overwhelmed by life.  I weighed 320 pounds, wore size 4X/28, and could not walk up a flight of steps without gasping for breath.  I was being treated for diabetes, high blood pressure, GERD, high cholesterol and depression.  I was a woman of faith, but had no real hopes, dreams or aspirations for the future.

It was my faith and a program of recovery (Celebrate Recovery) which led me to the decision to have gastric bypass surgery. 

Within the first year following surgery, I had lost 155 pounds.  I went from a size 28 pants to a size 14; 3x tops to mediums.  I could walk for miles without becoming breathless.  The only pills I took were supplements.  I reached all my goals -- sitting in a bathtub; riding the carousel; wearing heels; etc.  I asked my husband for a divorce, sold our house, and fell in love with an amazing, generous, kind, loving man.

Unfortunately, with the good also came certain trials.  While I had planned to help others who struggled with food addiction, instead I became proud and vain.  I stopped going to Celebrate Recovery meetings, Barix support groups, and even church.  I wanted to live life to the fullest -- or what I perceived to be the fullest, making up for lost time, as it were.  I got blindsided by alcohol along the way, developing alcoholism about a year and a half after my surgery.  That took me down hard and fast.  It took 2 years for me to get 90 days sober.

Today, while I did have some regain, I have maintained a 135 pound weight loss.  I now attend weekly OA meetings and AA meetings.  I sponsor others who are struggling both with food addiction and alcoholism.  I have 85 days of food abstinence today, and will have a year sober on Thursday.  I have learned the importance of recognizing and dealing with my emotions as they come up.  I continue to develop a relationship with my Higher Power and to maintain my recovery using the 12-Steps. 

The most important thing I can convey to people is that God met me exactly where I was, but He sure didn’t leave me there.  Even through all the difficulties, trials and struggles, I have received immeasurable gifts of recovery and healing.  I have been given the ability to have hopes and dreams again.  I, along with all of you, have become uniquely useful to those who struggle with obesity and food addiction.

Thanks for letting me share.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 5/31/11 1:45 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Jill,

Nothing short of amazing. . .  Congratulations on your surgiversary!!!  as well as your upcoming Sober Birthday! 

Amazing things happen when we can realize hopes and dreams, even as we have struggles, out of them come more hopes and dreams and as a result we develope skills and with the tools in hand can accomplish them. . .

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 5/31/11 2:05 am
Jill,

HAPPY SURGIVERSARY!!!! and also almost a year of sobriety!! Good for you!

Congrats and keep on fighting the good fight!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Patricia R.
on 5/31/11 12:06 pm - Perry, MI
Happy Surgiversary, Jill.  Congrats on your weight loss and recovery in OA and AA.  Your story is similar to mine in a lot of ways. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Maura M.
on 5/31/11 12:19 pm - Yardley, PA
Jill,

Your story, accomplishments and continued committment are awesome.  Thank you for sharing your successess and challenges with us.  You are uniquely useful to all of us here.  Many more years of continued success and enlightenment.

much love,

Maura

Maura

sandy L.
on 5/31/11 1:08 pm - Altoona, PA
 Jill,  Congrats on your Surgiversasry as well as your year of Soberity.  You are a very strong woman.  I applaud you for getting help and helping others thru your posts and many other ways.  May God continue to Bless You.

LisaAC
on 6/1/11 6:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congrats, Jill.  I'm really glad to know you are doing well.

Lisa

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1801 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1897 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2576 views