Need info

Mireille
on 11/4/08 7:26 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hello everyone,

I have a friend whose daughter is inquiring about wls and she livesin Granby, Qc.  She is unsure to whom she should see to start the process of application, let alone where to get the forms to apply for coverage.  If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mireille
szymbal
on 11/5/08 1:54 pm - montreal, Canada
How far is Granby from Montreal?  I know that Drs Christou and Court in Montreal take referrals from elsewhere.

It would help if she had a referral from her PCP, but it is not necessary I don't think.  Tell her to check out their website: weightlosssurgery.ca   Most of the answers are on there.

Hope that helps,
-S....
Mireille
on 11/6/08 6:49 am, edited 11/6/08 6:49 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi S.,

Thanks for the info.  I`ll pass on the message.  Do you know how difficult it is to get Quebec insurance application papers for funding or if she is referred by her PCP, is that enough?  Granby is about 1.5 hours from Montreal.

Thanks again,

Mireille

szymbal
on 11/6/08 2:09 pm - montreal, Canada
I'm not sure about the insurance application papers.  I know that theoretically RAMQ covers the surgery, but the waiting list is soooo long, that there are over 2000 people in line right now, and they are only listing those with a BMI > 50.  Christou does also offer a private practice (the info is all on that website)

I alsoe heard today that there is a group in Laval doing WLS, known for their DS work.  I'm sorry but I don't remember their names.

There is another surgeon in montreal, but he does his open, which i think is a little barbaric at this point!

Good luck!
Mireille
on 11/6/08 9:52 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Thank you so much for your help.  You are a gem and a wealth of knowledge.  Yes, it is RAMQ I was talking about.  I live in Ottawa and I went through my weight management doctor so all the forms were available in his office.  Didn't have to inquire about them.  Moreover, I didn't have the difficulty many people have due to their doctors personnal misgivings about wls.  So needlesstosay, my journey has been very smooth so far and I thank God for that.

I will pass on this info to my friends and hope and pray for the best.

YOU ROCK!!!

Mireille
szymbal
on 11/7/08 12:52 am - montreal, Canada

Aww, you're so sweet... Thanks!

Good luck to your friend.  She can PM me if I can help her in any way.

-S....

Mireille
on 11/7/08 5:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
It's me who should be thanking you.

Mireille
mtl_chick
on 11/13/08 3:05 am - Canada
Hi,

I just wanted to add, that I'm on a waiting list for VSG in Montreal (Sacre-Coeur Hospital close to Laval) Dr. Henri Atlas is going to perform it. Covered by RAMQ and it's suppose to be about 1 year. I know of several people that had him and they all said he's good. Here's their website too: http://chirurgiebariatrique.com/
It's in French, but there's phone numbers and stuff on it.

Good luck

Cindy
Evelyne
on 11/13/08 3:44 am - Canada
Hi,
I don't know if your friend is considering Lap-Band surgery but if so Dr Steven Miller in Drummundville is an excellent surgeon. His waiting list is less than a year in the public system and about a month in the private system.
In Drummundville, he works at Ste-Croix hospital and his private clinic is in Montreal, Spa Diva Medical in Les courts Mont-Royal.
If she is interested by the Lap-Band or just want some info, the consultation is free. She can call at this number and ask to meet him and then make a decision 514 905-1234
Hope this help,
Evelyne
Most Active