Moving to SC - questions (have Tricare Prime ins)

tee_lee
on 4/17/10 5:20 am - Columbia, SC
Hi everyone.
Have a question I'm hoping someone here can help with.
We are in the process of moving to Lugoff, SC. Currently we live in MS.
My PCM referred me for wls, the referral center sent it to Tricare to approve and it was approved. Yay! However, this was prior to me knowing that we would be moving. Not so much yay anymore. I was so very excited and was referred to a wonderful doctor in LA who is very advanced in this surgery.
After talking with them though we realized that I really can't schedule my surgery there as it would be done right before I moved.
So, I called Tricare to see if they would give me a referral to a surgeon in the Columbia area. I was then told that I would have to wait and be referred through my new PCM in SC. grrrrr
I'm worried because I don't know if I will find a PCM that will even request a referral. Also worried about being approved again. I realize that it's the same insurance company but it's a different division.
Then if all that goes well... I'm worried about where is the best place to go. Don't know if I'll get choices, but if I do - how do I choose? I don't know a soul in SC.
Can you tell me if you have had the surgery there and who you would recommend?
Also, if anyone is with Tricare, can you tell me how the experience went for you?
Thanks!
Toni
eazes
on 6/7/10 11:57 am - Beaufort, SC
It's safe to say that if your current PCM thought this was the way to go for you to lose weight then your future PCM will think so too.  As long as the doctor's reasons are listed in your file and you have documentated information about your battle with the weight then you should have nothing to worry about.  Also since Tri-Care approved it before I think they will do it again.  Let me know how it goes for you.  Good Luck! 

tbines401
on 6/21/10 8:30 am - Columbia, SC
Tricare Prime is what I have and I was like approved in 24 from the time my paperwork was submitted they were no problem. I paid $30.00 for my total bill they paid the rest. Tricare Prime is great.

tee_lee
on 6/21/10 10:40 am - Columbia, SC
Thanks for the answer. Funny that it came today.
I've progressed along, received a referral for a surgeon in Columbia, had to attend a seminar before I could make an appointment and had an appointment for today. Upon reviewing all paperwork and making a phone call I discovered that I would have to pay a $500 "program fee" in order to use them. I couldn't find another surgeon in SC that was in the network. However, I did find one in Augusta that accepts Prime and doesn't have an extra $500 fee. Just the $100 dieticians fee. I can handle $100 but the 500 is just out of my reach right now.
We just moved to SC. This means that I'm jobless (but really looking) so extra money is not available at this time.
I was upset at first. Seemed like just another downward slope. But back up again once I found another surgeon and had Tricare change my referral. Just wish I didn't have to go so far to do this.
It'll all be worth it though in the end.
I have an appointment on the 9th. Should be able to have surgery about 3 weeks after that. I can't wait!
tbines401
on 7/20/10 1:40 am - Columbia, SC

I realize this is an old post but your surgery date is posted. Who did you get to do the surgery? And how are things going for you?

tee_lee
on 7/20/10 2:31 am - Columbia, SC
Dr. Chasen in Augusta, GA. He's awesome!

Things are going okay right now. Just a few days out so not 100% up at this moment. :)

I noticed that you are in Columbia, do you attend a support group? I'd like to find one to join.

Thanks!

tbines401
on 7/21/10 7:23 am - Columbia, SC
Check with your Dr office I am sure they have one. My Dr office has one but its a scheduling conflict with my gym schedule so I dont go. I probably should try to go some but I am just basically on here and realize website and working out twice a day.

dpeth006
on 7/28/10 2:43 am - Aiken, SC
Aiken Regional Medical Centers will be starting up a support group next month.  We're about 45 minutes from Augusta and 45 from Columbia.
tee_lee
on 7/29/10 11:58 pm - Columbia, SC
Thanks for the help ladies.

I'm going to try to find a support group in Columbia. My doctors office has a great support group but I really don't want to do the almost 2 hour drive to get there. Kinda the same with Aiken. I don't even know where it is, but I am hoping to find one that is at least within half an hour from me.

wljsransom
on 1/6/11 10:44 pm - AL
There is a Support Group in Columbia at the Palmetto Health Baptist Breast Health Center 1501 Sumter st Ground level Meeting room 2 Columbia Call Marilyn for more information 803-376-5982. The Group meets on 2nd and 4th Tesday @ 6:30 p.m

There is also one that meets on 2nd and 4th Monday @ noon - 1 pm at the weight management center 1850 Laurel st Columbia. Bring your lunch with you.

wljsransom

Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 318 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3063 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3970 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4305 views