Sioux Falls experiences and Open vs Lap?

Karennf
on 5/8/07 9:51 am
Hi, I am considering gastric bypass and just starting down the path to surgery. What can anyone tell me about their experiences (good or bad) with surgeons in the Sioux Falls, SD area? Also - what are people's thoughts and experiences on open vs. laproscopic surgery? I was suprised at an informational session today that a particular surgeon much favored open gastric bypass rather than lap. Thanks, Karen
Nana-712
on 5/9/07 4:34 am
Hi- I am also in the beginning stages. I was wondering if you went to Dr. Harris's seminar? That is the one I went to last month. He prefers the open sugery. He also is not a big fan of the lap band. I found him very interesting and informative. I have a consult with him tomorrow. So if that is who you went to I can give you more information tomorrow. Most of the people I have talked to on this site recommend Dr Graham or Dr. O'Brien. If I am not comfortable with Dr. Harris tomorrow I will check these two Dr.s' out. Good luck. Nancy
CyndiU
on 5/11/07 1:30 pm - Hartford, SD
Karen, I did a lot of research before I did this...checked procedures and doctors. For me, the lap band was not an option...I felt I had too much to lose, and not enough will power. It is really designed for people who do not have that much too lose (relatively). Open and lap RNY is really a doctor's personal choice. For me, not having the open was so much more convenient, with less healing time. And Dr. Graham is the absolute best when it comes to lap RNY. I followed the history on several area doctors. Dr. Graham lost one patient. A man 700 plus pounds, early in his career. Many things changed since then. Dr. Graham is one of the most prominent surgeons in this area (lap Rny). I have lost over 140 lbs in the last 11 months. Dr. O'Brian works more with the open RNY, and is also very successful. Dr. Harris has a good history. Do your research, make sure you are comfortable with your surgeon and the surgery you choose. Every third Monday, SV Hosp (Sanford) has an informational meeting at 6:30 PM and a support group at 7:00. Check out one of these. If you'd like to talk more email me at [email protected] or PM here. Good luck.
Nana-712
on 5/12/07 3:04 am
Hello again! I met with Dr Harris on Thursday. I did like him. He is very firm in what surgery he thinks is best. The open by pass is what he wants to do. He said the open surgery has the best results with fewer complications. When I said I didn't like the sound of how big the opening would be he told me if I placed the lap openings and the open next to one another, the lap would be longer. Not sure if I really belive that. He seem to be a very competent surgeon and I did feel comfortable with him. I have a nutritionist meeting on Wednesday. He said I must have this BEFORE submitting anything to my insurance company. I thought at the seminar they said you could get your approval from your insurance company and then go to the nutitionist because it cost $200 and if you were denied what would be the point of paying that? I decided to just go and see what it is all about. Either way I will need this class and I am sure it won't hurt me. I just hate paying the $200 and taking another day off work!! Any questions, please let me know. I live about 130 miles from Sioux Falls and hate the dirve but love the shopping!! Nancy
vickitucek
on 5/14/07 6:56 am - Brandon, SD
I have not been on the message board forever, and my photo is outdated--I have lost about 65 more pounds since that photo was submitted. However, I will tell you that the gastric by-pass procedure saved my life, physically, mentally and emotionally. Can't tell you about the banding. Mixed reviews on both procedures. I will tell you that I would go back to Dr. Brad Thaemert in a minute. He was a fabulous surgeon and following practitioner for me. He is with "Surgical Institute of Sioux Falls" near Avera. The staff in the surgical unit at Avera all told me how fortunate I was to have him. Good luck--Vicki (down 145 pounds since June 2004; have maintained this weight for a little over a year).
S T.
on 5/14/07 5:12 pm - Tea, SD
I had open gastric bypass in Jan 2007 w/ Dr. Harris I was only off work for 2 weeks & could have went back after one if I had to. I have no regrets!! I've lost 50 pounds & feel great!!!!! Sheri
Ka-Hill
on 5/16/07 4:44 am - Tornoto, SD
I'm having lap rny on the 23rd and like you I wanted and still do want any kind of information that I can get. My surgeon will be Dr. Glatt. He seems to be very confident with his opinion.and so am I. We had a long discussion before deciding that this is the correct way for me. What I have found out is that you and only you can make the right decision for you. It is your life. There are many good dr. that do these procedures and you will have to go woth your GUT(sorry) feelings. I know that you can gather all kinds of information on all the different procedured but when it comes down to the final decision, you will make the right one for you.
~Becky~
on 5/16/07 2:26 pm - Little Rock Area, AR
Hi Karen, I had the lap RNY with Dr. Brad Thaemert and I LOVED him! He was open, honest and told me the straight truth. I had severe complications and I STILL would choose him in a hot second. The complications weren't his FAULT, rather, they just happened. I preferred the lap because without complications, the healing process can be much faster. This surgery has changed my life. I currently weigh 170 pounds. That is OVER HALF the person I used to be. My highest weight was 342.5, that was my highest RECORDED weight, I think I have even weighed more than that. I have gone from a size 32 to a size 12. I give God all the glory. I RUN, WORKOUT, play with my children and just live the most blessed life. Don't get me wrong. I work VERY hard to keep losing. There are times when I stall and don't eat well, but God always gets me back on track. My goal is 150 pounds. I loved life before, but I love it even more now!!!!!!!! If you have questions, email me on this site. Blessings~ Becky
Megs88
on 5/19/07 2:43 pm
Hi, I had Open RNY Gastric Bypass in December of '06 and Dr. Harris was my surgeon. He is very serious when he tells you that he feels the open RNY is the best procedure. His reason is that he can tell while he is in there if there are other problems that need to be taken care of and he will fix them right then and there. He can't always see what else is going on in there when doing the laproscopic procedure. When I had the surgery I was 18 years old, and while doing the surgery he discovered problems that would have caused me to have surgery again but instead he was able to fix an umbilical hernia that I didn't even know I had and he also took out a very sick gall bladder. My gall bladder was full of stones like an old person's and without having done the Open procedure I would definitely had had to have that surgically removed. Why go through major surgery twice? When I went into the hospital I had already been diagnosised with PCOS, which means my ovaries were not functioning and hadn't for about three years, I was inscellin resistent, prediabetic and had been fighting a losing battle with my weight since the day I started puberty. My hormones were totally out of wack, and I was having anxiety and panic attacks because of the hormone imbalance I was experienciing. Nothing the Endo Doctor tried was able to get things working again, and the surgery was meant to save my life. I was looking at a stroke or heart attack at a very young age. Dr. Harris and his Team of nurses and his nutritionist are AMAZING! They have always taken the time to answer my questions, and have had great suggestions as well as positive comments. As for the $200 price tag on the nutritionist's class it was well worth it even if I hadn't been approved. I learned a lot that afternoon about what I could do to help myself more than I was. My situation was serious enough that when all of the paperwork was submitted I was approved by my insurance company in just 3 days! I have lost 64 pound since December, and as of two days after surgery, even before I left the hospital ALL of my health issues have disappeared!!!!!!! I owe my life to Dr. Harris and his team. In fact, I finally have a life and although I have a ways to go I know this was the only way my life could be anything close to normal. I love the people at Dakota Surgical for all of their personal attention, and positive feedback. Also, Dr. Harris has had this surgery himself and he is very realistic about what you can expect. Good Luck! Meg
Elyce
on 5/21/07 12:58 pm
I had Dr. O'Brien for a surgeon...although I had lap band in March 2007. I have lost 47 lbs and feel great!  As far as Dr. O'Brien, he is a great surgeon...very informative and knowledgable.  His staff is out of this world....can answer any questions you have.  They got approval from my insurance company in only two weeks and two weeks later I had the surgery.  I have only good things to say about Dr. O'Brien and his staff.  Good luck to you!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bariatric Event!
monymony · 0 replies · 6150 views
LGBT forum invitation
seanbear66rn · 0 replies · 6086 views
Hello all
stephp77 · 0 replies · 5993 views