Dr. Aceves vs Dr. Ortiz

giveatoetobeskinny
on 5/15/12 1:57 pm - Vallejo, CA
 Hello:) Can anyone help me with my decision. I have read extensively about Dr. Aceves' success and the accomplishments his patients have had, much less for Dr. Ortiz. Somewhere on this site, someone says that Dr. Ortiz is newer to the VSG and has more practice with lap band being that he proctored many US doctors on the procedure and was selected by the manufacturer to do so. I also read that Dr. Ortiz has been on shows such as Oprah and The Doctors as well as being name top 15 bariatric surgeons by newsweek some time ago. But on another site, this is just broken down to his practice having really excellent public relations and marketing. The cost doesn't really matter all that much to me. Many of the quotes I have been reading were in the 5000s. 

I left messages for Dr. Ortiz's office several times and no one has called me back. I also put down my information under their "contact us" tab on their website. That was about 3-4 days ago. Only today did I get an email from his patient coordinator; it is not very personal and I would have preferred a phone call. What I really like, however, is that Dr. Ortiz and his facility were given the Center of Excellence accreditation and that he practices both in the US and in Mexicali.

I don't think I will get approved by Anthem because my BMI is not >40; my BMI is 38 and I guess my only co-morbidity, whether they believe this to be one or not, is depression. I'm not going to be approved for financing with my credit. 

Can I please get more info on your experience, price, whether or not you came with someone and how was their experience, etc with either doctor. I really appreciate this.

rebecky
on 7/19/12 2:40 pm - Chapel Hill, NC
VSG on 07/09/12
I originally was set up with Dr. Ortiz, impressed by the hype. But I read a couple of mediocre reports on his surgical facility, and changed my mind. Meanwhile EVERYTHING I read about Dr. Aceves was glowing. I had to sacrifice my $500 deposit. But it was all OK, because I just had my gastric sleeve surgery July 9th with Dr. Aceves, and the experience was excellent.   He is an experienced, and super careful surgeon;  3 separate leak tests were done to make sure the sleeve was tight. Also, Dr. Aceves, along with his colleague Dr. Campos(who himself had the sleeve surgery!) practice in a real, fully-equipped hospital. It is a very clean, private facility, with the state of the art equipment. Also the environment was so quiet & restful, not like most noisy, stressful hospitals in the States. I was able to really recover quickly. Often thought I was in a hotel! The nursing staff was so attentive, responding to my calls very quickly. They guide you through the whole process smoothly and professionally.  I say, hands down, Dr. Aceves is your man!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4320 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8579 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8099 views