I have questions

plo5286
on 7/5/12 9:29 am
With the support of my husband, I have decided to undergo WLS.  Together, he and I have pretty much decided that the sleeve would be the best option for me.  I am now in the process of waiting on my insurance to give me the go-ahead, and should have more of that next week.  My cardiologist, neurologist, neurosurgeon, and PCP all believe that this would greatly benefit me health wise.  I just want to feel better.  I am 36 and on full disability due to 3 brain operations and 4 strokes, have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high chlosterol and other things. 

My question is this.  I was reading about the post op diet.  All of the diet plans I read have said that you must drink diet drinks and use artificial sweeteners.  The neurological condition I have, I cannot have any form of artificial sweeteners.  It sends me into very bad headaches for days and makes me very sick.  Will this automatically make it so I can't have the surgery?

Please give me your thoughts.

Thank you,

Patty
Desari63
on 7/13/12 7:07 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
First off, congrats on your decision for surgery and to make a change in your life. The post-op diet is not as bad as everyone says it is. Any drinks that are carboninated will be completely cut out of your diet for life. As far as artifical sweetners go, you won't use them either most likely. Each doctor is different in his post-op diet for their patients so when you finally find one, he'll give you more information for sure.

Not sure if this helps but anyway...Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...

Barbara McKeown

bird-E-bird
on 2/3/13 10:56 am - TX
The only drink you MUST drink is water, plain old water. Now the protein drinks is another story. Ask your surgeon what they recommend you use as you seem to have a very unique situation. Crystal light and such also may be out of the question but researching now will be your friend post op. being prepared is key and this site is awesome!
mickeymantle
on 2/18/13 1:16 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you will have to find a protein without any artificial sweetener, but you may be able to get you protein from  meat and fish after a few weeks

you will be able to drink water , herb tea, soup, juices

It is best if you go to a wls surgeon that will work with your neurosurgeon, maybe also a hematologist

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8573 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8095 views