Horror Stories - Weight Gain

divapeach
on 7/19/12 1:50 am - MD
I keep hearing horror stories about others who have WLS and gained the weight back.  The last story I heard (yesterday) the person had the WLS about 15yrs ago (not sure which one) but gained her weight back.  This would be traumatizing to me emotionally.  I exercise 3-4 days a week for about 1-1 1/2hrs each session.  I have noticed my appetite has increased (sweet tooth also).  I try to average between 1200-1300 calories a day and I am 9mo post sleeve. 

Any words of encouragement...scare tactics are also welcomed.

SusanNYC
on 7/27/12 10:06 am - Bayside, NY
Yes, I am gonna scare the bejesus out of you.

Here is the real truth about WLS. Yes, you are gonna hear it first and hard core from someone that had the surgery 2.5 years ago. Get ready, sit down...hold onto something real tight cause this is gonna blow your mind.

You get to be the actor, director, producer of your own life. Your thoughts are what make you ...nothing else.

Geez girl...what did you think I was gonna say....don't do it...its all a joke. You will gain it all back plus some.

All I know that my obesity has and had taught me is that I am responsiible for me. What I put into my mouth, what I wear, how much money I make. No one has any power over me unless I give it to them.

Sure I have heard all the stories....and there is always more to come. But this is how I do it. I get up in the morning....I say thank you God....I go pee pee...brush my teeth, eat breakfast, go to work, pay my bills...saying something nice to someone.....pee again...brush my teeth and to to bed.

I put one foot in front of the other and the other follows. No one has power over my life but God and me.....

So, my dear friend....know that you are perfect for today and thats all we have anyways....today....

Hugs....Susan

mboone
on 4/28/13 3:26 am
VSG with
Hi, Susan
I'm not sure if you still watch this board, but I just wanted to let you know how encouraging your words were for me. I have been sitting on this board considering wls for many years. I have found every excuse not to do the surgery, afraid my family would be disappointed in me. I have a young daughter that I need to and want to be around to see grow up. I am so tired of being tired and feet hurting after walking for an hour . I have a consult date set for end of May with Dr. Vohra in Hewlett.

Thank you again
hannah00
on 12/22/12 2:02 am

Hi Divapeach i myself have had the sleeve i am post op 6 mos and still continue to lose weight. I am now down 72lbs, when i went to have my surgery my co worker had hers she has since gained 50lbs, i have to be honest if you revert back to unhealthy eating habits and do not exercise  OR SWITCH UP YOUR DIET(when you are hungry eat small snacks, try healthy foods you wouldn't normally try, drink plenty of water and remember anything is possible.  We all were told that surgery was used as a tool, now what we do with the tool is up to us. What i have learned is people do not always disclose the extra details if you stay positive keep up your good routine you will get to your goal and maintain it. Keep up the good work girl!!!

Member Services
on 1/27/13 2:57 am - Irvine, CA

Weight loss surgery is a tool.  An effective tool but how you use that tool is what matters.  Take advantage of the support and advice of many OH members who have had the same concerns.  You can do this!  

Sincerely,

Member Services

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4320 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8579 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8099 views