band eroison in VBG

bchildrey
on 11/27/12 1:33 pm

I had a vertical banded gastroplasty over 13 years ago and have always had vomiting and acid reflux.  I had a scope done last year to see what was up  and was told that I had a hiatal hernia and band erosion that was moving into the stomach and that I was not a candidate for revision surgery.  The surgeon' only concern was that I would probably regain the weight if I wasn't mindful.   

He really didn't answer my question about complications from the band eroding.  Made it sound like it wasn't an issue.  I tired looking online periodically band erosion complications in a VBG and have never found anything.  Only info on lab band erosion complications.

Does anyone know what, if any, complications there are with an eroding band in VBG besides weight gain?  Asking because vomiting and reflux has increased this year.

Lisaann68
on 12/6/12 3:20 pm
Hi!! I had the VBG in 2006. I lost 100 pounds and got to my goal, however, I had vomiting daily, and food got stuck all the time. I had my 4th child in 2008, and by then gained just about all my weight back.

In 2009 I had a revision to the DS. I had erosion and scar tissue severely. Going into the surgery, my surgeon did not knowif he could perform the surgery or not.

I was quite lucky and he was able to perform the full DS! So it definitely can be done! You must find a very skilled surgeon, however!

3 years later and I could not be happier!! No vomiting at all since day one, and food never gets stuck!! I am 15 pounds below my goal weight, which I do not mind one bit!

I suggest you research doctors and get several opinions!!! I wish you the best of luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8573 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8095 views